Lag putting drills - due acceleration issues

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There's no way I'm 'swinging' the putter by breaking my wrists! To me, Snedeker's stroke is atypical. Trying to copy this is a recipe for jabbing and decelerating the putter, IMHO.

Likewise , a long back swing and short follow through seems exactly what's causing the issues😡

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am saying you can't decelerate on a stabby pop stroke. To do it you have to accelerate into the ball.

To clarify, my original point about copying Snedeker's stroke can either, imho, go two ways: you develop a jabby stroke as he encourages you to wrist break; or you decelerate because you don't implement the pop-stroke correctly (long backswing, very short follow through).

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because the swing is so short you are forced to accelerate into the ball to make it go the correct distance.

Not following. The correct distance comes from the correct length backswing with a gentle acceleration through the ball to get it rolling. Short backswing on long putts invites trouble.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just watched brandts stroke. Sorry I forgot how mad it is. Wouldn't dream of putting like that. Yep recipe for disaster.

Watched many a folk put with well with a short but aggressive thru stroke. Not what he describes at all.

My mistake.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not promoting this but just thought it may explain why some find a shorter and quicker stroke helps:

[video=youtube;4p1MsHHBI3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p1MsHHBI3M[/video]

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I have often misunderstand the "accelerate through the putt" idea altogether. So far as I can see the only reason for it might be to keep the club stable (in a Dave Pelz kinda sense, if you know what I mean).

At the end of the day, if you take the human out of the equation altogether, and for example, anchor the butt end of the putter on a nail or hinge etc and simply let it drop or swing from any given height like a pendulum then that is going to accelerate the putter head to it's low point surely?

After experimenting with many forms of stroke for my lag putting over 35 years I prefer not to use a shorter backswing/long follow through style as I find it very inconsistent.

Instead, I prefer to have a very light grip and let the putter head alone do all the work by trying to take the hit out of the shot. I find this always leads to better feel on the longer putts. It also (for me) means a certain amount of wrist hinge which I don't find to be a problem on longer putts. Desirable, in fact.

On shorter putts (under 10 feet) line is more important for me so I'll grip tighter and take the wrist hinge out to avoid any face alignment issues at impact.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I have often misunderstand the "accelerate through the putt" idea altogether. So far as I can see the only reason for it might be to keep the club stable (in a Dave Pelz kinda sense, if you know what I mean).

At the end of the day, if you take the human out of the equation altogether, and for example, anchor the butt end of the putter on a nail or hinge etc and simply let it drop or swing from any given height like a pendulum then that is going to accelerate the putter head to it's low point surely?

After experimenting with many forms of stroke for my lag putting over 35 years I prefer not to use a shorter backswing/long follow through style as I find it very inconsistent.

Instead, I prefer to have a very light grip and let the putter head alone do all the work by trying to take the hit out of the shot. I find this always leads to better feel on the longer putts. It also (for me) means a certain amount of wrist hinge which I don't find to be a problem on longer putts. Desirable, in fact.

On shorter putts (under 10 feet) line is more important for me so I'll grip tighter and take the wrist hinge out to avoid any face alignment issues at impact.

There could be something in this, when I putt with light hands my stroke is pretty solid, maybe without noticing as my putting got worse my grip got tighter.... And the circle begins