Lag putting drills - due acceleration issues

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Recently I seem to have been suffering with major issues when lag putting, all of my playing partners have said it was a case of simple de acceleration on longer putts.

Anyone have a drill that can hopefully be used indoors on a carpet to combat this.

Yesterday my putting stats were scary, 20 putts out not including fringe putts or the one hole I picked up on. The back was a little better with more GIR's 20 putts no pick ups but 40plus putts is a joke. The main issue seemed to be anything over 10ft.

Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds as if your backswing may be too long.
To help this, stand close to a wall, say about 8-10in and putt away from it. That will restrict your backswing and you will naturally start to accelerate through the ball

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On the course, try narrowing your stance and dont let the putter go passed your right foot.
You'll need to widen it as the putt gets longer though

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What you need to do is... Sell me them irons you've seduced me with!

then all being well with the world, the golfing karma gods with look favourably on your actions and hey presto, you're now a sub 30 putting legend :lol:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never like the concept of same length back and through stroke with the putter. You should be accelerating through the ball. This is less likely to happen when you go a touch too far witty the back stroke. You quit, hit the breaks and mess up the stroke in an effort to save it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Recently I seem to have been suffering with major issues when lag putting, all of my playing partners have said it was a case of simple de acceleration on longer putts.

Anyone have a drill that can hopefully be used indoors on a carpet to combat this.

Yesterday my putting stats were scary, 20 putts out not including fringe putts or the one hole I picked up on. The back was a little better with more GIR's 20 putts no pick ups but 40plus putts is a joke. The main issue seemed to be anything over 10ft.

Thanks
[video=youtube_share;p5kuUcWYxwo]http://youtu.be/p5kuUcWYxwo[/video]

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Thanks

[video=youtube_share;Bwk2rsEuyZg]http://youtu.be/Bwk2rsEuyZg[/video]

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My pro told me to not brake the risks just use arms like pendulums and follow through with the putter :) completely opposite to Snedeker but I guess each to there own. Would like to hear other people's views on that.

hopeful

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find that if I don't talk myself through every shot I make all sorts of bog-ups. When putting I make a slow back swing according to the distance the ball is to travel, a slight pause, then on the forward stroke I say (to myself) " and...push". It encourages me accelerate through the ball. Works for me...usually.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My pro told me to not brake the risks just use arms like pendulums and follow through with the putter :) completely opposite to Snedeker but I guess each to there own. Would like to hear other people's views on that.

looks like a very small break of the wrists, I also believe on very long putts most of the pro's will have some wrist break- hard not to as thats not natural. Go with whats comfortable and feels natural as opposed to rigid and mechanical.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your problem may be that you are trying to putt the ball to the hole!!

Now before you start laughing let me explain what I mean. If you are trying to putt at the hole then the chance is you will more often than not end up short as only a perfect weight will have a chance of getting the ball in. Try putting to a point around a foot past the hole, this will give you more chances of holing out and encourage a more positive stroke through the ball, another advantage is the ball will tend to break less.

As a practice drill place a tee in the ground a foot behind the hole and from varying distances putt to hit the tee. I guarantee you will start making more putts :thup:

Marc Cools

Medal Winner
Visit site
I also have issues with lag puts. For me it helps to stand beside the ball, looking to the hole and make practice strokes feeling till it fits the length. Also important is to look from the side to feel how much it is upside, downside. Your brain knows.

I guess your issue is not the lagging but the stroke itself. I would see the pro about it because I think it is severe. Show him/her how you put and ask for a specific drill you can do every day at home. You will drop easely 5 in handicap with a normal putting stroke.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks rocket that sounds like a really good idea. Will have to give that a go when I can get out on a practice session. Thanks again pal.