Klaxon

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm interested to know what your clubs and courses use for warning klaxons - to abandon play for example in the case of lightning or bad weather, or for shotgun starts.

Particularly:
  • What do they use?
  • Where do they sound it from?
  • Is it clearly audible at the far reaches of your course?
  • Does anyone standing nearby go deaf when it sounds?
Do hand held cannister air horns cut it, particularly for those of you who have a larger course, or even multiple courses.

Thanks all

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Our course is a weird set up - long story short - the pro shop staff hop in a buggy and drive to 2 "central holes" to sound an air horn. One of these also has a blind tee shot bell, so thats hit HARD 5 times and can be heard from pretty much all over the course.

My old mans hearing is shocking these days after 40 years of working as alandscape gardener and even he can hear these!

A light tap of the blind tee bell is deafening enough, its a big old piece of metal - hitting it hard might actually deafen the pro shop staff but I dont know what they do to combat that! :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our course is a weird set up - long story short - the pro shop staff hop in a buggy and drive to 2 "central holes" to sound an air horn. One of these also has a blind tee shot bell, so thats hit HARD 5 times and can be heard from pretty much all over the course.

My old mans hearing is shocking these days after 40 years of working as alandscape gardener and even he can hear these!

A light tap of the blind tee bell is deafening enough, its a big old piece of metal - hitting it hard might actually deafen the pro shop staff but I dont know what they do to combat that! :ROFLMAO:
Hopefully they have a pair of ear defenders :D. Nice and cheap, simple to get online. Sounds silly but the club has a duty of care on this one.

The bell sounds a good one. I played in an open a few weeks back that was called off part way through, apparantly by an air horn. We were not that far from the clubhouse but could not hear it. Most people were warned by word of mouth and waving of arms, not the best system

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hopefully they have a pair of ear defenders :D. Nice and cheap, simple to get online. Sounds silly but the club has a duty of care on this one.

The bell sounds a good one. I played in an open a few weeks back that was called off part way through, apparantly by an air horn. We were not that far from the clubhouse but could not hear it. Most people were warned by word of mouth and waving of arms, not the best system

Honestly its an absolute monstrosity of a bell. Its old, rusty and the chain mounted metal stick you use to whack it with weighs a fair bit too - but man does it work!

Im sure the club do have something for the boys - just never actually witnessed it being struck by them!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We use air canister horns and for shotgun starts we have one on the first and one on the 12th (top of the course).

The Club Manager or the Course Manager will sometimes drive to the top of the course and give another blast or use the car horn.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Lighting weather warning message comes up on the screen in the buggy with instructions to either suspend/shelter or return to clubhouse etc

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
In all seriousness, most folks are in a buggy anyway round these parts so walkers are few and far between and if we did pass a walking player on the way back we'd pass the message along

Do you have to pay extra for buggies over the pond?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do you have to pay extra for buggies over the pond?

South of the equator rather the across the pond but I know what you mean
Buggys are compulsory for much of the year due to high temps/humidity making it a tough round even for the fit folks to walk and often there's large walking distances green to tee on top of that

It means the cost for buggy is just included in the green fee
Green fees vary (wildly) depending on whether a player is a tourist, holiday package deal or local resident
In winter (now) there might be the odd discount deal to walk instead
Every buggy has a screen so all manner of messages Inc the weather warnings etc will pop up

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
South of the equator rather the across the pond but I know what you mean
Buggys are compulsory for much of the year due to high temps/humidity making it a tough round even for the fit folks to walk and often there's large walking distances green to tee on top of that

It means the cost for buggy is just included in the green fee
Green fees vary (wildly) depending on whether a player is a tourist, holiday package deal or local resident
In winter (now) there might be the odd discount deal to walk instead
Every buggy has a screen so all manner of messages Inc the weather warnings etc will pop up

Not going to lie - just safely assumed you were American without looking at Port Louis's location :ROFLMAO: In my defence - it sounds american... Apologies! Probably highly offensive :ROFLMAO:

Whats an average green fee for you? Im genuinely curious!

D

Deleted member 25172

Twice this month I have played rounds where we made a decision to abandon the round due to thunder and lightning. The latest this Sunday when playing in the second round of our club championship qualifier. Neither my home club or the club I played a few weeks back had klaxon's going off, so it's just been our own decision. Does your club have it?

yandabrown

Visit site
No noise for us, we are advised to leave the course immediately, we can carry on at our own risk and specifically told that: No siren/alarm will be sounded by the club. Me, I'm off as soon as I hear thunder, though with occasional planes overhead you have to double check.

D

Deleted member 25172

No noise for us, we are advised to leave the course immediately, we can carry on at our own risk and specifically told that: No siren/alarm will be sounded by the club. Me, I'm off as soon as I hear thunder, though with occasional planes overhead you have to double check.

Know it sounds silly, but as I was playing in the second round of our CC qualifier I didn't want to risk getting DQed. When we first started to hear thunder it was miles and miles away and I really thought that we'd get away with it. Obviously in the end it was a no brainer to run for cover. Would be nice to be a club champion, but not gonna risk my life for it. Issue there was that on my way in I met several people who didn't want to leave the course. They eventually did, but still. Everyone's perception on when it's time to leave will be different so looking back at it, I wish that the decision would've been simpler to make with the sound of an airhorn/klaxon.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Know it sounds silly, but as I was playing in the second round of our CC qualifier I didn't want to risk getting DQed. When we first started to hear thunder it was miles and miles away and I really thought that we'd get away with it. Obviously in the end it was a no brainer to run for cover. Would be nice to be a club champion, but not gonna risk my life for it. Issue there was that on my way in I met several people who didn't want to leave the course. They eventually did, but still. Everyone's perception on when it's time to leave will be different so looking back at it, I wish that the decision would've been simpler to make with the sound of an airhorn/klaxon.

• Individual Player Stopping Play Because of Lightning. A player may stop play if he or she reasonably believes there is danger from lightning, but must report to the Committee as soon as possible.
Leaving the course is not, by itself, stopping play. A player’s delay of play is covered by Rule 5.6a, not by this Rule.

D

Deleted member 25172

• Individual Player Stopping Play Because of Lightning. A player may stop play if he or she reasonably believes there is danger from lightning, but must report to the Committee as soon as possible.
Leaving the course is not, by itself, stopping play. A player’s delay of play is covered by Rule 5.6a, not by this Rule.

I did put a tee down to mark where my ball was before running in. :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have a lightning detector in the starters hut and the have a siren/horn, it's on the fist tee and nairn is an out and back links so little chance of hearing it the other end of the course. Can't every remember it being used on the course, or hearing it.