keeping score in matchplay

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose its the same in stroke play
if you say to your partner was that a 4 (for arguments sake) and they say yes, you both mark as a 4 then its a 4

its only if you go no wait that was a 5, I fluffed one earlier etc

if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, chances are its a duck

I wouldn't have agreed its just leaving yourself wide open particularly if you had lost or tied the match after the 18th.

just my humble opinion

No, it's not the same in stroke play - what you finally sign and return is relevant; what you actually scored may or may not be relevant depending on what you signed for and when a difference is established.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good question & I don't know the answer, but one will be along shortly, I'm sure. I always keep a card in serious matchplay because I hate to be distracted by not being sure of the score & it's easy to forget or get it wrong.
Same here ,

I/we are player A , he/they are player b put down both scores & a 1u/2u 1D/2D A/S in the +/- box down the side as i go

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I always keep a score card, i like to write both mine and his scores on it when we complete a hole and the in the next column its a "-" if were all square, a "-X" if I'm x down or a "+x" if i'm x up.

always better to have something to keep you right.

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You're right, you didn't agree. It was you who suggested you were 2 up and your opponent agreed with you. A bit daft IMO and any repercussions would have been caused by your deliberate misinformation to your opponent at the turn, but that's only my opinion.

I did explain in the OP why I said I was 2up, as the guy was writing down the scores for every hole, there should have been no doubt as to the score for him - he had all the info in front of him yet claimed to be unsure of the score - anyway we're going over old ground.

if anyone is interested, I won 4&2 tonight, kept a scorecard and confirmed the score after every hole :D

onto the semi on Thursday evening

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did explain in the OP why I said I was 2up, as the guy was writing down the scores for every hole, there should have been no doubt as to the score for him - he had all the info in front of him yet claimed to be unsure of the score - anyway we're going over old ground.

if anyone is interested, I won 4&2 tonight, kept a scorecard and confirmed the score after every hole :D

onto the semi on Thursday evening

Nope, still makes no sense to me. He clearly made a mistake on the 6th, or whatever it was. Why you wouldn't just say "I'm 3 up" when you knew that was the case confuses me. You're just making a rod for your own back!

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope, still makes no sense to me. He clearly made a mistake on the 6th, or whatever it was. Why you wouldn't just say "I'm 3 up" when you knew that was the case confuses me. You're just making a rod for your own back!

maybe its just the cynic in me - if he hadn't been writing down the scores and he said is it 2up or 3 up I would have no hesitation in telling him I was 3up - the fact he had the scores in front of him made me think he was at it - a point no-one has really picked up on.

he has the scorecard, but he wasn't sure of the score !!!, I said 2up to see his reaction, he checked the scorecard again and agreed with me.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You should really keep note of who scored what, especially in team match play.

We had a disputed result at an away team match, many years ago.

On the 18th we all shook hands and agreed that a half was a fair result .
But on the way to the locker room 1 home player says " hold on I think we actually won"
His partner said no it was a half, after a bit of direct talking it was a halved match, but it did cause a bit of a stushie, and leave a bad taste.:mad:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
More full you for saying 2up when you knew that you were 3up. I can't see any good reason for doing that.
Just because someone is writing a score card doesn't mean they are keeping the score correctly. I've seen some shockers

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Keep detailed score if you so wish - but please - if you have the honour - do your card marking after you have tee'd off. Unlike the 'captain' of the pairing I played against in a 4BBB match last Sunday who meticulously noted everyone's score on every hole - including I think the number of shots each of us took to reach the green (I think he felt he could remember how many putts we all took!) before proceeding to tee off.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Advice I was given on a recent County rules evening was to announce the result of each hole and the match score as you walk off the green. If you listen to any Ryder Cup match, you hear this being done.

"Europe wins the hole in three, match is 2 up".

Saves any confusion.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Advice I was given on a recent County rules evening was to announce the result of each hole and the match score as you walk off the green. If you listen to any Ryder Cup match, you hear this being done.

Saves any confusion.

I'm new to matchplay but can't understand why people wouldn't do this.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Saves any confusion.

Keeping an accurate score when assigned to referee a match is a different matter, but it doesn't save confusion when you get the score wrong. :eek:

Oh yes I did.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Simple really. Next tee, before teeing off. " I'm 3 up, agreed"?
Get on with it.
No need to score and hold everyone up. Score counts for nothing with gimmies on it.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I prefer to agree the number of shots awarded to players. Agree which holes a shot is awarded on.

After each hole put both player scored in either play A/B for singles then in points column put +1, +2 for each consecutive hole won. If I lose a hole it will drop from +2 to +1 for example, when all square put AS.

Dead easy. And always best to agree result of hole as leaving green prior to next tee shots.

Example
Hole / Player a / Player b / Points
1 / 4 / 4 / AS
2 / 5 / 4 / -1
3 / 4 / 5 / AS
4 / 3 / - / +1
5 / 4 / - / +2

Last edited: