Just for info (wi-fi users)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My internet was down for over a week due to a fire/flood combo in Paddington (apprently affecting 250 exchanges from 3rd April).
When I got fed up and they (the ISP) thought it should be back, I started messing around with the router/modem box.
There IS a way to access your router but beware, best not to mess with this and certainly NEVER SET YOUR ROUTER TO FACTORY SETTINGS as this will delete important info installed by your ISP if you have a dedicated box. If you set it up manually to start with, go for it, but otherwise -avoid.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I couldn't access the router menu and had to walk through lots of experimental tweaks with the operator (49 minutes @ quite expensive!!) No matter what we tried, we kept getting IP address issues and so on, yada, yada.

Anyway, in the end, we found an option to change the "channel" of the router. Messing with this can a) improve or worsen your signal but more importantly b) can shift your signal off the default channel 6 to another one, which might free up your signal especially if there is lots of radio frequency wafting around your house.

I'm surrounded by wi-fi, most of it secured, but it's presumably running at default channels and causing no end of connectivity issues.

We changed my router to channel 7 and got instant access to check the router (which still had all the correct settings).

So I'm delighted, my netbook jumps on instantly (whereas before it was touch and go) my missus Ipod touch gets on immediately (there was all sorts of silliness) and my new mobile phone (wi-fi smart phone) can also get on.

So, just for info, if you have wi-fi, if getting onto it is dodgy (there are lots of conflicting devices) try another channel. (I wish I'd known about this, because I've been swearing at my linux netbook for 16 months becuase it rarely got on the wi-fi).

There's plenty on t'internet about it. :)

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are ways to boost the signal above the recommended amounts as well, isn't there? (Or so I was told in a Wi-Fi Training Course I went on a while back).

There's a Wi-Fi analysis tool available from http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider, which shows all detected Wi-Fi networks and shows which channel they're using. Could be quite useful in a area where there are lots of W-Fi signals to enable you to hop to a clearer channel. I don't know how you change the channel though.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know how you change the channel though.

Changing the channel is not tough once you get into the router.
I accessed the router by putting an address into my browser.
(192.168.0.1) although this will depend on your make. Belkin is different (for example) but I don't believe you then need a password, whereas for netgear it is set to a standard until you change it (I guess).

A "menu" for all the router settings appears and if you can tip-toe through all this without being too curious, there is probably a menu. I'll see if I can prt sc for you.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK. So this is what the page looks like once you have accessed the router. I clicked on "wireless settings" and got this menu, change the channel, apply (save) and you are good to go.

netgearroutersettings.jpg

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
On the PC click Start, then run and type cmd and hit enter
this brings up an old Dos style page

Type ipconfig and hit enter
this looks at your network connection
Look out for the numbers after "Default gateway"

This is the IP address of your Router, write this down.

Open internet explorer and type http://followed by the above number like this http://192.168.x.x this will open the router page.

Normally the user name is admin
the password is password

when you are in the router, look for wireless settings

you are able to change the name of your wifi connection also the channel.

save any changes

job done
simples

Fragger

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the PC click Start, then run and type cmd and hit enter
this brings up an old Dos style page

Type ipconfig and hit enter
this looks at your network connection
Look out for the numbers after "Default gateway"

This is the IP address of your Router, write this down.

Open internet explorer and type http://followed by the above number like this http://192.168.x.x this will open the router page.

Normally the user name is admin
the password is password

when you are in the router, look for wireless settings

you are able to change the name of your wifi connection also the channel.

save any changes

job done
simples

Fragger
phil is it best to be at least two channels away from any other wifi.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here's a picture of inSSIDer in action.

I downloaded it from cnet download.com (one of the few websites I trust) and ran it just for fun.

I can see myself using this when out and about on public wi-fi.

As you can see, there are 2 wi-fi sources available at this very moment. One is mine, the other from nearby.

inSSIDer.jpg

I might try changing the channel (now I know how to do it) and see if the strength goes up or down.