junior clubs

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
I am looking at getting my youngest daughter a secondhand set of irons and all the junior sets are either not up to standard or just half sets.
I have been told by her coach that Ping do a very light flexi shaft (i think the FCT129) which would be good to get cut down and still get the flex in the shaft. I have also found a callaway 45i shaft which is light (45g) and very flexi which i managed to get an old demo iron and cut down and works great. the trouble is that these shafts seem to be hard to find on the callaways and the Pings are still stupid money for a secondhand set.

Has anybody got any experience/information about the callaway Gem shaft ? these seem to be ladies shafts but sometimes dont have weights that i can find and also i do not know how flexi these will be.

any info would be appreciated as pulling my hair out trying to find something suitable for my daughter to move to.

or could anybody recommend any other makes that have really flexi shafts ?

Last edited:

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello Bob,

She is about 5ft tall and has been playing golf for about 2 years, now plays/practices 5/6 times a week with her brother and sister. handicap currently 30 but can play better than that, just waiting for junior comps to start.

thanks

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
she is 12 years old. All the coaches she has seen all say they rarely see a girl hit the ball as hard as she does so that is why i want to get a ladies set and maybe take 1" off them but i want a flexi shaft and also a lightweight club. I know some of the older callaways have a swing weight of C2 and the shafts are 45g and very flexi but not sure about other makes.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To be honest, I think you are getting over worried
She needs to get out and play with her mates and have fun.
How many coaches has she had at 12 years old?
If she's off 30, she's not going to be too worried about what swing weight her clubs are, she will adapt to what ever she has.
Get her a second hand set of ladies Ping G2 or G5s with a soft regular graphite shafts and she wont go far wrong.

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
She plays with her brother who is 15 and plays off 3 handicap and her 16 old sister who is off 4 handicap so she does know about equipment as she has been brought up playing with them and seeing the equipment they have gone thro.
she currently has 3 coaches, county coach, main coach who she see's weekly and then the club she is a member at do group lessons for juniors with a different pro.
her current set are US kids tour but these are too small and i had them extended once and the shafts are way to whippey for her now.
will try and look into the pings but looking about found it hard to find ladies pings secondhand.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Son ( 12 ) also plays
I jumped the gun over a ear ago, and bought some Senior Flex Graphite Shafted Benross Veloct irons for him.
One step too early for him
Dont know if it was the Flex just too strong, or the added length of being mens clubs, or both.....??
But I soon sold back on, and Bought some Ladies Flex Graphite Irons, Perfect.........
Mizuno do some nice ladies clubs, second hand MX-15, MX-17, perhaps......??
Also Cobra have decent ladies range with 45Grams weight shafts

And as Bob has Said, Ladies PING irons are Great, just tend to be quite high in price, hold their value well

Good Luck Shopping