Jorge Campillo - no shout of ‘Fore’

Visit site
seriously, does someone have to lose another eye, or worse,before golfs ruling bodies sort out pros not shouting’fore’. Campillo fires two into the crowd on the 18th without even batting an eyelid. I am so angry that he was almost hoping it to hit someone so not to go out of bounds.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pros must shout fore, I can’t see any argument agains that.

The effectiveness is probably low but it’s the example they set that is important.

It’s the marshalling and crowd management that will make the most impact.

Venues want people close to the action, in the case of golf the action can come a bit close to them.

In the end, when there is crowds in range, someone could get hurt.

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Saw the same in Woods/McIlroy match. Tiger needed the human heads to stop it going OOB so he said nothing. McIlroy screamed 4 several times. Although it was to his advantage to do so, it is clear European players shout it more. I find the lack of disgusting and the excuses bandied about for not doing so even more repulsive. Ball in bounds or in good position is worth more to some of these golfers than a human life.

Simple to me - shout loud and repeatedly - use your arms along side the shout to show also and if you don't and I was in charge I would disqualify you from the tournament and ban you for a period of time

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Saw the same in Woods/McIlroy match. Tiger needed the human heads to stop it going OOB so he said nothing. McIlroy screamed 4 several times. Although it was to his advantage to do so, it is clear European players shout it more. I find the lack of disgusting and the excuses bandied about for not doing so even more repulsive. Ball in bounds or in good position is worth more to some of these golfers than a human life.

Simple to me - shout loud and repeatedly - use your arms along side the shout to show also and if you don't and I was in charge I would disqualify you from the tournament and ban you for a period of time

Loss of hole or one shot penalty would do me. Don't think it is ok to give someone a signed glove when you have smacked someone on the back of the head and not shouted.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have only been to a hanful of pro events - most recently a couple of times at the BMW at Wentworth. My recollection from there is that its the on-course marshalls who give the warnings. They are stationed "on a length" & watch the ball coming. If it looks like going into the crowd, it's the marshalls who give the heads up. (Or should that be heads down?). Or at least that's what l observed .

User20204

Visit site
Not sure it makes a lot of difference, i don't think I would hear from 300 or so yds away. When I go to watch the PGA tour its a risk I am aware of and you should really be watching...

I've got to agree. If you're 300 yards away, you may hear a shout but not necessarily see where the ball is or what direction the shout is coming from, though that doesn't excuse "any" golfer from shouting, whether it can be heard or not.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure it makes a lot of difference, i don't think I would hear from 300 or so yds away. When I go to watch the PGA tour its a risk I am aware of and you should really be watching...

It's about setting a good example for everyone else out there. Shout fore and let the marshalls deal with it. The they won't hear it excuse rings so hollow, just damn well shout it, you played the poor shout live with having to shout fore.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I go to pro tours I never stand 300yds from the tee ,that’s where you will get hit.
You need to select your position carefully to avoid the stray ones.
But no excuse not to shout. It should be mandatory.
This does need sorting ,but someone will have to die first then it might be considered serious enough to do something about it!
Most ams are taught to shout Fore so when do you learn not to when you turn pro?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Seriously! Often at my club you hear a shout from much further away than that.
Shouting "fore" is a part of the game and every golfer should be expected to shout if there is any chance at all that someone could be hit by a ball.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seriously! Often at my club you hear a shout from much further away than that.
Shouting "fore" is a part of the game and every golfer should be expected to shout if there is any chance at all that someone could be hit by a ball.

Totally agree - no difficulty at all in hearing a shout form 300 yards. Just another poor excuse as to why 'I don't shout' - or in other words I don't want to as i need your head to stop my ball.....can we please end the stupid and inexcusable defense of no shouting - its bloody life threatening

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Have only been to a hanful of pro events - most recently a couple of times at the BMW at Wentworth. My recollection from there is that its the on-course marshalls who give the warnings. They are stationed "on a length" & watch the ball coming. If it looks like going into the crowd, it's the marshalls who give the heads up. (Or should that be heads down?). Or at least that's what l observed .

Exactly what happens in pro events.
You won’t hear a shout at the landing zone as people aren’t quiet around there. Lots of people talking and congregating which is why the marshalls are there to relay the direction from the Marshall on the tee. No need for a pro to shout but to appease the people who aren’t there.

If imagine if it was good shank or solid pull hook going only 100 yards into someone’s skull, I’d imagine they’d be a shout of fore.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Still remember the clown at my old club who nutted someone on the head from 200 yards. "Well I said fore" was his reply. I was on the green to the side and had gone back to see if the guy was all right and I never heard a word from him. So he probably said it but sure as hell didn't yell it loud enough to be a warning. He didn't even offer the bloke on the ground a signed glove either.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why are people defending the pros? You hit a ball towards people - you SHOUT - fore.

I've been a Marshall at the Open - your role is to watch for balls and look for them where they are likely to go so that pros don't lose a ball. You are NOT there to protect the crowd.

The pro who hits a ball towards the crowd, his caddie and anyone else on the tee should be yelling fore as loud as they can.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I would like to see post round interviewers ask the question. "So on the 7th you hit the ball into the crowd and didn't shout fore, why not ?" Pretty sure they would be shouting for all they are worth if they knew that question was coming up at the end of the round on global TV........

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I would like to see post round interviewers ask the question. "So on the 7th you hit the ball into the crowd and didn't shout fore, why not ?" Pretty sure they would be shouting for all they are worth if they knew that question was coming up at the end of the round on global TV........
It would be the same reply you get from all golfers don't shout fore,
They didn't think it was anywhere near you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd love to see that and one of the more pushy interviewers on both sides of the Atlantic really push a top player on it. Unfortunately all that will happen is they will stop doing the TV interviews by the Sky cart etc and all we'll get are the managed press conferences

NearHull

Visit site
Does anyone have a “legally informed” opinion of the acceptance of the risk of being injured as a spectator at a pro event. And, if so, is there a different position in the States v Europe? There is a view that compensation for damages are sought more readily in the States.

NearHull

Visit site
To add to my last post, I’m wondering whether a shout of ‘fore’ is an legal acceptance of culpability against keeping quiet effectively playing the ‘no comment’ card.