Joined new club and really struggling

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
....Hence my concern I will go up in the annual review and then be even further away from where I'd like to be.

welcome Rosie

I picked up on your comment above because I can't help feeling that if you are that worried about the annual review which will take place in over 6 months time you are basically putting yourself onto a hiding to nothing

the annual review will reflect your capability; that's all it does. It's not designed to punish, if anything it designed to ensure that CSS calculations are made against a field of realistically handicapped players- nothing more, nothing less.

deal with the demons rather than the new course :)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Rosie and welcome to the forum, get stuck in there's lots to learn here!

The thing I picked up on from your first (and later) posts is a touch of anxiety. I only got it cos I suffer from it too. If I'm wrong don't bother reading on! For me it used to go something like this:

1. I don't know anyone at the new club, what if no one wants to play with me cos I'm holding them up and when I tell them Im an X h/c they think I'm rubbish.

2. What if I put in bad scores and my handicap goes up, I don't want people to know I'm a 24 h/c! I'm a 19 h/c, probably should be 16 if I could keep it together.

Well hopefully you've already had your answer to part 1. The ladies you played with in the Medal were nice and guess what, you're not the worst/slowest player at the club by a long shot and guess what - see part 2.

2. It doesn't matter. I'm a 13 h/c. I was probably a 28 starting, got my first 17, came down to 11, up to 13, none of those numbers matter to other people - only you. I've a good reputation at the club for being good company for 18 holes, I play regularly with one guy off 2 and the other off 24 cos they're both great guys.

Maybe I've missed the mark and maybe this is all genuinely about feeling like you've taken a step backwards, but you're at a new track and it'll take a little time to get used to where you need to avoid and where you need to be. A good trick is to play the hole backwards. Stand on the green and say "ok, to stop the ball here where do I need to be?". Look back towards the fairway and you'll get your answer, left side, right side, maybe even closer to the tee than you thought. That's how you know where to play your tee shot and whether an iron off the tee is better than a wood. You have shots, use them, don't be a hero and go for par on SI1 when it could cost you a 10. If you made 16 h/c you'd only have to par 2 holes on the course and bogey the rest to finish on 36 points. In fact you could possibly bogey every hole and still buffer. So play smart, avoid the big numbers and enjoy the new company - most folk are all right!

Except on here. All these people are awful.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Rosie and welcome to the forum, get stuck in there's lots to learn here!

The thing I picked up on from your first (and later) posts is a touch of anxiety. I only got it cos I suffer from it too. If I'm wrong don't bother reading on! For me it used to go something like this:

1. I don't know anyone at the new club, what if no one wants to play with me cos I'm holding them up and when I tell them Im an X h/c they think I'm rubbish.

2. What if I put in bad scores and my handicap goes up, I don't want people to know I'm a 24 h/c! I'm a 19 h/c, probably should be 16 if I could keep it together.

Well hopefully you've already had your answer to part 1. The ladies you played with in the Medal were nice and guess what, you're not the worst/slowest player at the club by a long shot and guess what - see part 2.

2. It doesn't matter. I'm a 13 h/c. I was probably a 28 starting, got my first 17, came down to 11, up to 13, none of those numbers matter to other people - only you. I've a good reputation at the club for being good company for 18 holes, I play regularly with one guy off 2 and the other off 24 cos they're both great guys.

Maybe I've missed the mark and maybe this is all genuinely about feeling like you've taken a step backwards, but you're at a new track and it'll take a little time to get used to where you need to avoid and where you need to be. A good trick is to play the hole backwards. Stand on the green and say "ok, to stop the ball here where do I need to be?". Look back towards the fairway and you'll get your answer, left side, right side, maybe even closer to the tee than you thought. That's how you know where to play your tee shot and whether an iron off the tee is better than a wood. You have shots, use them, don't be a hero and go for par on SI1 when it could cost you a 10. If you made 16 h/c you'd only have to par 2 holes on the course and bogey the rest to finish on 36 points. In fact you could possibly bogey every hole and still buffer. So play smart, avoid the big numbers and enjoy the new company - most folk are all right!

Except on here. All these people are awful.

You could be my twin! That is exactly how I feel. Thanks

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome. Enjoy the forum, enjoy your golf. After all that's what it's about. Stop worrying things will come out in the wash, they say.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could be my twin! That is exactly how I feel. Thanks

Good stuff, well hopefully you can see it is all a bit of nonsense and enjoy the company and day out. Relax, the scores will come good when you're enjoying it. Happy golfing :)

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for all the nice comments, quick update - still struggling at my new club but played a couple of opens at different courses and played to buffer both times. Not the same as playing individual handicap qualifiers but made me realise i can still play. :)

However back at home I can still only put 25 points on my card, the course is really beating me up everytime. My husband says to persevere as he will make me a better player, but I'm not convinced.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It sounds like your new course rewards straight hitting, if that s your problem try using clubs you are more confident of hitting the ball straight with and so hopefully stay out of the rough.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Wise man your other half!

It will make you a better player if you knuckle down and work on your game

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thanks for all the nice comments, quick update - still struggling at my new club but played a couple of opens at different courses and played to buffer both times. Not the same as playing individual handicap qualifiers but made me realise i can still play. :)

However back at home I can still only put 25 points on my card, the course is really beating me up everytime. My husband says to persevere as he will make me a better player, but I'm not convinced.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm the same currently after moving club. I'm playing really well elsewhere but my new course is chewing me up, especially 2 specific holes! I know it will come good, it took me over 2 years to get a good grip of my old clubs course but then I moved :eek: Keeping a record of my rounds has shown me I'm getting more pars every round and on holes not achieved before so its going in the right direction, I'm sure with perseverance it will be the same for you :thup:

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Quick update, entered a medal open (seniors :p) at my old club and beat my handicap by one shot, played there twice since then and played to handicap both times, this has helped because I know I can still play ok. My last game at my new club was a medal and I was 1 off buffer, so a slight improvement there. However, playing another medal at my new club this afternoon and don't feel confident at all! I've written this season off there and hope to be more of a competitor there next year.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds a lot like me (Even down to returning to my old place and cleaning up!) with SHGC, a much shorter course, a lot less hazards and far better greens, should be a walk in the park right?! WRONG! (in fact have you joined SHGC?)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quick update, entered a medal open (seniors :p) at my old club and beat my handicap by one shot, played there twice since then and played to handicap both times, this has helped because I know I can still play ok. My last game at my new club was a medal and I was 1 off buffer, so a slight improvement there. However, playing another medal at my new club this afternoon and don't feel confident at all! I've written this season off there and hope to be more of a competitor there next year.

Oi! I've only just realised (it's an age thing) but I was on here before you and I'm known to some (reprobates) as rosie. I'll let you off this time and well played on getting your game together.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Resurrecting old thread here - have actually played 4 games out of 8 to buffer so far this season! Still turn up to official comp day feeling like I have no chance of ever breaking my handicap here, (negative I know :angry: ), even considering hypnosis to over come this.

My handicap has risen to enable me to be eligible for our bronze ladies team and as the lowest handicapper in the bronze division I'm having to give shots which I've discovered I actually like and relish the challenge. I got through to a regional final with another lady in a foursomes comp, so lots of plus points but I'm still beating myself up about not lowering my handicap yet. Any advice or thoughts?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Resurrecting old thread here - have actually played 4 games out of 8 to buffer so far this season! Still turn up to official comp day feeling like I have no chance of ever breaking my handicap here, (negative I know :angry: ), even considering hypnosis to over come this.

My handicap has risen to enable me to be eligible for our bronze ladies team and as the lowest handicapper in the bronze division I'm having to give shots which I've discovered I actually like and relish the challenge. I got through to a regional final with another lady in a foursomes comp, so lots of plus points but I'm still beating myself up about not lowering my handicap yet. Any advice or thoughts?

Hi Rosie, I must have missed this thread last time round! Welcome to the forum (again) - stick around this time! :)

My advice is to stop worrying about your handicap, it's just a number, playing better golf should be the goal rather than just lowering the handicap. Concentrate on one shot at a time, one hole at a time and taking the least number of shots you can. Handicap will take care of itself.

Of course, I don't always practice what I preach, most on here want to reduce their handicap and I'm no exception. But I think I need to improve my game to do it rather than simply stringing a couple of good rounds together...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another who took a long time to play to handicap when going to a 'new' club (actually, it as my old one in Scotland, but I'd moved back down South and joined a Club there). Took 6 months to shoot 36 points and that was actually in a 3 clubs and a putter comp! First comp back shot 99 off 9, though the last comp there (18 months later) shot -1 gross!

So relax and just enjoy the company and golf. The handicap may creep up for a bit, but it'll come down faster - for no apparent reason!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome back. I don't think you need hypnosis and plenty of good books (Rotella NGT et al) which all deal with handling pressure bith before you go out and once you play yourself into contention. As you're giving shots and relishing it I'd say you've more or less cracked it especially with the buffer zone scores.