Joined new club and really struggling

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, I joined a different club this season as my previous club only had a handful of lady players, most comps involved 2 of use playing. I'm in my third year of having a handicap started at 34 finished after 2 seasons with 19.

The new course is marginally shorter but has smaller greens, narrow fairways, thick grass off the fairways and some elevated greens.

Lovely club, friendly ladies - but I am really struggling to play the course, drives and fairway shots are ok, but my short game has needed changes and I make so many mistakes in that area.

I've played 9 comps, with absolutely terrible scores, best one is 28 points worse 20, I practice there once a week and practice chipping in my back garden - alot.

I've now got to the point where I dread playing and am putting so much pressure on myself to get to a decent score that i can't relax and just play.

My handicaps gone up every game and I'll probably go up in the annual review. really don't know whether this is normal for someone learning a new course or I've suddenly got rubbish!:(

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, I joined a different club this season as my previous club only had a handful of lady players, most comps involved 2 of use playing. I'm in my third year of having a handicap started at 34 finished after 2 seasons with 19.

The new course is marginally shorter but has smaller greens, narrow fairways, thick grass off the fairways and some elevated greens.

Lovely club, friendly ladies - but I am really struggling to play the course, drives and fairway shots are ok, but my short game has needed changes and I make so many mistakes in that area.

I've played 9 comps, with absolutely terrible scores, best one is 28 points worse 20, I practice there once a week and practice chipping in my back garden - alot.

I've now got to the point where I dread playing and am putting so much pressure on myself to get to a decent score that i can't relax and just play.

My handicaps gone up every game and I'll probably go up in the annual review. really don't know whether this is normal for someone learning a new course or I've suddenly got rubbish!:(
Much the same happened to me years ago when i moved to a much longer course. I really struggled, every second shot was a 3 wood and still short.
But it did improve my long and short game because i HAD to chip on most holes. best of luck it will get better.:thup:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Don't worry, itt'll come good, and I'd be very surprised if they upped ypur handicap in the annual review.

Just keep practicing the short game, i also practice this in the back garden. Just try chipping at a stick or a plant pot and don't worry about the run-out, as long you're landing it where you're aiming it.
Take that out the course and you'll soon get your confidence back.

Don't worry about your scores in this first season, you're just putting too much extra pressure on yourself. If you got down to 19 in 2 seasons you obviously have some ability and that will shine through if you relax and let it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I don't think its unusual to struggle when moving, I am experiencing the same thing after a recent move. Just as I was carving out some good scores and looking forward to this season after 30 months at my previous club, I moved, and my new course is much less forgiving, with faster greens, more fairway bunkers, longer greenside bunkers and brutal rough as its heathland not parkland. Its a whole new learning process so I accept it will get worse at first before it gets better, its frustrating but its for the best.

Keep at it and welcome aboard ;)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Rosie, nice to see another lady golfer posting, there are too few of us. I guess it takes a while to get used to a new course, don't despair, your handicap will find its correct level.

where do you play? and where did you play?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I moved the end of January. Struggled to break 80 until a few weeks ago, and was in danger of going up to 6... still too close for comfort. The last 2 weeks has seen a buffer and a modest cut. It takes a while... relax and enjoy the scenery and the company. If you don't play for a living, there's no point in getting wound up.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Welcome Rosie. I joined a new club last year and had what I felt was an excellent short game. My old club tended to have big greens, mainly flat and the fringe extended a good way around the green and over any small banks around them. So most chip shots were a variation of a chip and run and not much need for variety. The new course had a lot of elevated greens and also some set down below the surrounding banks. The fringe is only about a foot around the putting area and then it's straight into the rough. I had to learn a huge variety of chip shots to cope with the variety of positions I found myself if I'd missed the green - even by only a couple of feet. I'm still learning and currently working on a hybrid "putt" when in the rough on a down slope and a close pin.

My suggestion would be to try and get some practice time on the course around the greens so you can take on a variety of shots and work out what works for you and what doesn't. I'd also recommend a short game lesson with your pro so that you can get advice on technique and practice smart. Good luck...and welcome!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome from another female golfer!

I think everyone is finding "off the fairway" hard at the moment, but at a familiar course is easier to know where to miss.

You'll develop new skills in time, but just don't fall out of love with golf.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments, I played Sunday in a medal, yet another dire score but played with 2 lovely ladies who I hadn't played with before and enjoyed it.I'm letting my thoughts run away with me and imagining that my handicap will rise and rise with no respite. I'm a late starter (currently 54) so have no illusions about becoming a low handicapper , my target is 16, but am disappointed I'm no near my buffer. Hence my concern I will go up in the annual review and then be even further away from where I'd like to be.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments, I played Sunday in a medal, yet another dire score but played with 2 lovely ladies who I hadn't played with before and enjoyed it.I'm letting my thoughts run away with me and imagining that my handicap will rise and rise with no respite. I'm a late starter (currently 54) so have no illusions about becoming a low handicapper , my target is 16, but am disappointed I'm no near my buffer. Hence my concern I will go up in the annual review and then be even further away from where I'd like to be.

Any new course takes time to learn the nuances. Enjoy the company and forget all about the handicap. If you just play without worrying about the score as you go I think you'll find you play better and cuts will take care of themselves