John Letters Master Model Irons

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
I've really gotten into golf since starting in September. Thinking of upgrading from my current set of Nike CPR. I've been offered a set of the above irons in mint condition for £150. Firstly, are they a good brand, haven't heard of them before now. Secondly, will they suit me? I'm still off 28 and close to breaking 100, anything else I should be looking at? Want something newer than my current set which is 2007.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
premium brand from Scotland going back some I think but the ones you mention a kinda re-incarnation. think the real old originals were mostly pure blades but a ways before my time so just what I've heard rather than know for sure.

the pga master model irons though think produced few years back, 2010/11 I think. made with strong lofts so pretty much no offset & a small cavity, so were produced with the 'better' player pro - elite am in mind. not to preclude any folks from having a trial.

if they the model I've seen over here they have a small cavity back but thin top line so present at address more like a blade to the player. you can pick up a decent set over here for around $250 so the price you quote would seem pretty good.

but would say they may prove a little ways difficult for you to use as not real forgiving to an off center strike. plus most I've seen have had stiff shafts in.

but real decent made irons at a good price, but maybes not the ones for you at the stage you're currently at.
but your $'s so your call.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
This will sound stupid (and a bit like a tart!) but are they a 'cool' brand or something more suited to better older generations?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Master Model has been around since WW2, so rather depends what vintage. During the last great hurrah of blades, in the late 80s and early 90s, they were a nice players set and there was a nice Fred Daly 40th anniversary model produced to commemorate his 1947 Open win with a set

Nowadays Direct Golf owns the JL brand and have brought out a range of sets including the traditional blade clubs with PX shafts which look nice. In my opinion, if you are of a mind to play a blade club (as I do) then if it is a good value deal, it is worth looking at.

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_i..._rifle_project_x_shaft_golf_irons/p14173.aspx

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought the John Letters Limited Edition F-7 irons when they came out - it was the JL 're-launch' model (I was told only 250 sets made).

http://www.golfmagic.com/reviews/equipment/irons/john-letters-f-7/6398.html

What attracted me to them? For a start I thought they looked great and as 'blade-ish' not dissimilar to the Wilson Staff Tour Blade Fluid Feel set I was retiring. That and the fact that I could get them for £299 did the deal for me.

I love them. As they are soft they do mark - and they have an applied finish that has worn off a bit so some look a bit untidy - but that doesn't bother me.

The Masters model you have linked to looks like the evolution of mine. So - are they a beginners club? - to be honest you might find them a challenge - especially 5i and longer. But like any club of it's type, when you strike them well the ball really flies, and you really feel the strike - and boy does it feel lovely. Buy them as they are lovely - but I'd caution - don't expect an easy ride to start with.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice set of forged irons.

Won't be as forgiving as the Nikes

There's no real reason to upgrade yet imo. I've just bought a lovely set of 26 year old irons that are perfectly playable - and may replace the 10yo ones currently in the bag!

Not a bad price, though there could be better 'bargains' about if you know what to look for. Could be worth 'investing' in for the future - it's likely that use of these will improve you ball-striking, but initially degrade your results on the course. Worth a bit of negotiation with the seller?

Last edited:

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I think as I have improved and playing better after an awful spell I'll stick with what I have. If I maintain progress then I may change.