John Letters for newbie

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks for that viscount did you get your clubs from NB don't think i like the idea of clubs being bent after i have paid for them...what guarantee is there that i will hit them as well as before the bend....

didn realise it would be this hard to pick a set of clubs...even after a lot of searching on this site i still find even more strange things in golf and ways to be riped off :D

A

Alex1975

thanks for that viscount did you get your clubs from NB don't think i like the idea of clubs being bent after i have paid for them...what guarantee is there that i will hit them as well as before the bend....

didn realise it would be this hard to pick a set of clubs...even after a lot of searching on this site i still find even more strange things in golf and ways to be riped off :D

A pro bending a club to fit you is standard practice. After a few years I will even go back and have all mine checked and bent to the correct angel again. Sounds freaky but its not.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
if i was paying top money with a pro i understand that and alls good but at NB or AG with all the stuff that's said about them? Not that im saying they would do a bad job...just that i wouldn't know if they had .....

A

Alex1975

if i was paying top money with a pro i understand that and alls good but at NB or AG with all the stuff that's said about them? Not that im saying they would do a bad job...just that i wouldn't know if they had .....

I am big on custom fitting, I think its a great thing but I am not sure its what you are looking for with this stop gap set of irons. I may get burned for saying that but maybe your getting a little deep for something your looking to play with for a year or two while you find a swing.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
i understand what your saying and i know thses topics have been covered before ...i have read enough of the forum to try and get an understanding but if the custom fit is free it must be worth it??

as has been stated many times on previous posts it is really a case of hittin some balls and having fun...i just don't want to find out i could have done better i think for me NB is probably the way to go for the varied choice!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

no, I went to an independent club builder

the idea of bending is they will/should check your impact position (usually on a strike board) and, if you are reasonably consistent, bend the head to bring the strike to centre.

the reason they will sell you the club first is that if it breaks it's at your risk! to be fair they usually warn you first.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alex, you're right of course but I think the least you should expect is that you get the right flex and a club that fits you, not one you have to fit to.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
yeah i guessed that was the reason think they have a cheek to say yeah we will sort ...oooops sorry re broke it and it cost you £££ for the privilege? Do NB bend them...do you know :D

DCB

Visit site
Scouser, have a look here and here

Very good price for something that would see you through your first couple of seasons as you try to get into this great game.
;)

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation both links were for the same clubs though....

I think I will probably go for something like the Benross given the recomendations.

Visited a local NB today and they appeared very good told them i was concerned about being pushed to one set of clubs they said they rather me try 6-7 sets and be happy as there is little mark up so long as i come back and buy the rest of my gear from there cos thats how they make their money....very impressed

:D

A

Alex1975

Scouser, have a look here and here

Very good price for something that would see you through your first couple of seasons as you try to get into this great game.
;)

WOW look at that price!!??!! thats a bargin

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
wrist to floor (w/f) height is the key, your height is immaterial. standard clubs are made for a w/f of 27 inches. If you are outside of this it makes a difference to way the club impacts the ground. more than 27 you are likely to be nearer the toe, shorter nearer the heel.

Wrist to floor 27 inches (just over 2 feet)? Are you sure? Think that might be a typo. I'm 5 ft 6 1/2 and my wrist to floor (standing straight up) is 33 inches. Minimum you can set on PING web fit is 29 for a male.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks viscount, just wondered as I thought it might just be a typo.

On the ping web fit the default setting before you enter your own measurements is 35 inches wrist to floor. Given I'm a bit of a shorty that would seem about right. Of course the standard set up for different brands differs. I think Titleist tend to be more upright and longer than Mizuno for example, which is one reason why I've tended to prefer Mizuno clubs.

I was fitted years ago and and was about 2 degrees flat which then was Mizuno standard (6 iron = 60 degree lie). Ping web fit gives me Red dot (.75 degrees flat) and .25 inches short. I know that's just static fitting so is only a starting point and I ought to get fitted again properly I suppose.

I don't really like my clubs bent and I do prefer the idea of taking a half inch or so off the shaft rather than bend the hosel.

Once again thanks for clarifying.

On the OP topic, when I started John Letters were a top brand. New ownership now though. I see they have a new forged Master Model out assembled in St Andrews with DG/Rifle/Nippon shaft options and Tour Velvet grips. They look good and I wouldn't be ashamed to put those in my bag but it's going to be tough competing in that market against the likes of Mizuno and Titleist. Not sure about the starter sets though.

A

Alex1975

Huge congrats on the new bats and thanks for the PMs. So new MD Superstrong irons and last year’s driver?! Is it the Superstrong driver too?

You have some great weapons there now so that is one less question in your mind and one less excuse.

Enjoy them.

Al