John Letters for newbie

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all

Started playing golf once a month recently. Playing with a package set that I got years ago but now want my first "real" set visited direct golf to look at Nike Slingshots as I like the idea of the hybrids but was also shown the John Letters T9+ set. Gonna go back and have a play with them next week but just read a post that says they steer you to JL... i would expect most shops to work on a mark up so dont really mind that.

But are they any good and any ideas/ suggestions. I wanna go to DG for their pay monthly option.

Thanks in advance.

A

Alex1975

Just make sure you get what you want, not what they want you to have. Go and hit all the clubs in your price range then pick the ones you like. Do not be presured.

On the JL, I am a snob and would not even hit them, but you may love them. If you dont love them make it clear. Infact I would make it clear from the off that you know that they would like you to have them as you know they get good mark up. If its not true I am sure they will tell you.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I guess I knew the response would be get would you like and can hit. But I had never heard of JL till they said about them so wasnt sure....Nevada Bobs and AG dont even appear to stock them.

Think ill do what you say and just try every club in my price range.

Thanks

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
More than just a good mark up, I thing DG own the John Letters name now and this is their own lable. The prices are not that much lower though. I you like the JL clubs go with them but if funds are tight try Benross, MD or Wilson Staff who all do great clubs at good prices. Trouble is, from what I remember, DG do not stock many of these brands.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
hmmmm... I know the idea is to go with what you like....

I play cricket and would never by a bat that i didnt like the feel of my concern is now not knowing where to go DG...Nevada Bobs or AG.... I liked the look of the Nike set but haven hit them yet and the pay monthly interest free.

I think my concern is not wanting to get ripped off and get decent advice.

I know all this has been said before decisions decisions and now more manufactures have been mentioned lol

Thanks for the advice

A

Alex1975

I think your best recorse is to let them know you know what your on about. I dont mean be rude at all but make them aware that you know that JL are there own brand and your willing to try them but not be mugged off.

This sort of topic comes up alot and is usualy about AG and its seems to me they do it to the high handicapers more than the mid and low handicapers.

Your a serious buyer who wants to spend money, you want honest advice and are aware of the brands.

Tell you what, look at there web site, write in here what clubs they sell that are in your price range and people in here can tell you what they know about them.

Its a starter for ten and you can show you know your shiz when you go shopping.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Alex as i say im confident that i will know what feels right cos of playin and coaching another sport so im no mug there (i admit i cant hit that little white thing though!!!!)

But just not sure about the brands and how resepceted they are or the shops other than AG although this is my first post ive done the research been looking at the website for two months now lol

ok here goes

N BOBS

Benross VX Proto Combo Iron Set (Steel Shaft)£276

Benross Mens VX6 Irons (Steel Shaft)£205

MD Golf SuperStrong Combo Iron Set (Steel/Graphite) 2011

MD Golf Seve Icon Oversize Irons (Steel Shaft)
£250

Wilson Staff Di11 Irons (Steel Shaft)
£286

Wilson Prostaff CX Combo Iron Set (Steel/Graphite)
£234

Wilson Staff Ci7 Irons (Steel Shaft)
£230

Nike Mens SlingShot Mixed Irons (Steel Shaft) 2010
£285

Nike CCi Cast Irons Set (Steel Shaft)
£408£254

Ok i give up N Bobs have loads in my price range...if any one rated N bobs can they let me know cos ill just pay on a credit card....they are probably the least mentioned shop which is either a good or bad thing!!!

Thanks again

A

Alex1975

I think its just cos there is less off them (NBs)

Last question before I look at your selection. How old are you and are you fit and healthy?

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
34 ....no handicap and going around in about 114 (no laughs please my swing varies from middle of fairway to very very very very deep in the woods or the deepest water on the course

as for physical fitness i can walk :)

Thanks for the time

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Alex as i say im confident that i will know what feels right cos of playin and coaching another sport so im no mug there (i admit i cant hit that little white thing though!!!!)

But just not sure about the brands and how resepceted they are or the shops other than AG although this is my first post ive done the research been looking at the website for two months now lol

ok here goes

N BOBS

Benross VX Proto Combo Iron Set (Steel Shaft)£276

Benross Mens VX6 Irons (Steel Shaft)£205

MD Golf SuperStrong Combo Iron Set (Steel/Graphite) 2011

MD Golf Seve Icon Oversize Irons (Steel Shaft)
£250

Wilson Staff Di11 Irons (Steel Shaft)
£286

Wilson Prostaff CX Combo Iron Set (Steel/Graphite)
£234

Wilson Staff Ci7 Irons (Steel Shaft)
£230

Nike Mens SlingShot Mixed Irons (Steel Shaft) 2010
£285

Nike CCi Cast Irons Set (Steel Shaft)
£408£254

Ok i give up N Bobs have loads in my price range...if any one rated N bobs can they let me know cos ill just pay on a credit card....they are probably the least mentioned shop which is either a good or bad thing!!!

Thanks again

Wont do much wrong with any of these sets :). Just make sure you get the right shafts for yourself.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Owen so you think all of those are decent...is that cos of the names or cos i cant hit the ball straight!!!!! :eek:

I wouldn't go mental to start with, when you get a few lessons and start to get some form of repeatable swing then look at get something more suitable. Whatever you get now you will end up changing in a while.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Chris

i thought about this I bought a starter set years ago and want something that feels a bit better now to be honest i hit a mizzi hybrid of the fairway and had never felt anything like it....im stopping short of buying and playing a whole round with one club :D :D

A

Alex1975

Ok so everything I say is my opinion but I try to make it an educated one. You are a young man(same age as me) so you don’t need graphite shafts in your irons, though if you get a hybrid set the hybrids will probably come with graphite.

Benross VX Proto Combo Iron Set – I like these, I looked at them myself at one time. They have perimeter weighing like the very popular and expensive Callaway X20/22/24. They are a budget brand but get lots of good write ups and are respected among forum members.

Benross Mens VX6 Irons not as much money, not as much tech same brand as above so you know where we are at with that.

MD Golf SuperStrong Combo Iron Set – MD are maybe the best of the budget brands, they have huge respect here on the forum for all standards of golfers. You don’t often read a bad word about MD in the golf community as a whole. Again perimeter waited for and a deep cavity for forgiveness. I bet the hybrids in this set are great.

MD Golf Seve Icon Oversize Irons - they are oversized to help you get the ball up but a more classic style. If that looks good for your eye then maybe these are for you, but I would guess you may hit the above better at the start but its marginal.

Wilson Staff Di11 Irons - I am a big fan, high quality and a reasonable price. I used Wilsons for years and they were everything I wanted.

Wilson Prostaff CX Combo Iron Set – I would get the Ci7 over these every day of the week.

Wilson Staff Ci7 Irons - I think you could keep there from 28-12 handicap or more. These and there predecessors have helped golfers going back years and are an iron you can trust.

Nike Mens SlingShot Mixed Irons – I hate Nike golf stuff but that’s just me, they are well respected so no worries there and I have to say, they look good. I would be hitting them to see if I were you.

Nike CCi Cast Irons Set - classic look, wide sole to aid the newer player, another must hit I would say.

As has been said, nothing wrong with anything on this list so get out and hit them all. I think the high lights are Benross VX Proto Combo Iron Set, MD Golf SuperStrong Combo Iron Set, Wilson Staff Ci7 Irons, Nike CCi Cast Irons Set.

Anything else you see, feel free to ask.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow thanks for the detailed response i really appreciate it and i know where you are coming from with the "its my opinion" comment and i respect that. I think its of to Nevada bobs then and on my credit card :D but at least if the shop has half those options ill have a few sets to play with. the the other post said i dont think DG had many if any of these sets. I might even print your post of and say a "mate" recommended i try these just in case they have their "mark up" sets.

Any other comments about the sets or NB would be welcomed.

Thanks for the time :D

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Chris

i thought about this I bought a starter set years ago and want something that feels a bit better now to be honest i hit a mizzi hybrid of the fairway and had never felt anything like it....im stopping short of buying and playing a whole round with one club :D :D

What you have just now will be good enough, me I would spend this season getting a few lessons and working on it then around october time go get fitted if thats what you want and it gives you the winter to get even more lessons and used to the new sticks.

I dont know if you would really save money getting fitted AFTER buying.

A

Alex1975

Thanks Chris

It does not take long to work out that Mizuno are the daddy then HU!!

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Chris

This is were i get confused. Places say they will custom fit for height and wrist to floor height....i know this is probably not true custom fit but surly better than nothing?? DG also said they would custom fit for the life of the club for a one of payment of £30???

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Chris

It does not take long to work out that Mizuno are the daddy then HU!!

No it didnt i absolutely creamed it ...technically speaking of course ....but even i know i couldnt hit blades and would be stupid spending that much money!!!!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry Chris

This is were i get confused. Places say they will custom fit for height and wrist to floor height....i know this is probably not true custom fit but surly better than nothing?? DG also said they would custom fit for the life of the club for a one of payment of £30???

wrist to floor (w/f) height is the key, your height is immaterial. standard clubs are made for a w/f of 27 inches. If you are outside of this it makes a difference to way the club impacts the ground. more than 27 you are likely to be nearer the toe, shorter nearer the heel.

two ways to address this (controversy alert!); one is to bend the club, (more upright if you are off the toe, flatter if off the heel) - this is risky with most cast clubs as they can break - they will sell you the club <u>before</u> they bend it! the most you can bend any club is 4 deg (Ping), most less than that.

the other way (and how I was just fitted) is to change the shaft, longer = up, shorter = flatter. (1/2 in. = 1 deg).

generally you can only bend a club once.

you must also be fitted to the right shaft flex for your swing speed. There is no industry standard so one man's Regular could be anothers Stiff.