Jobs in golf

SeveGhost

Visit site
Hi
Im looking to find employment in golf,i have a handicap of 4 and a very good understanding of the mechanics of the swing.
Ive heard that with a handicap of 4 or less you could work as a club pro / golf instructor without having to go through a 3 year diplomer coarse.??
Does anyone have some info on this matter please
cheers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There are several teaching qualifications available but to be honest, all the clubs I know when hiring a pro/teaching pro will insist on the PGA qualification.
Even driving ranges.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
There has just been an assistant's job filled at a course local to ours, nothing special, just a decent club with active membership...........108 applicants!!!!!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate has just jacked in an trainee pro job.
He said it was killing any enjoyment he had for the game for not great money and he was just selling mars bars all day.

Sure it would be nice to work in golf but you might have to stick with some crap before it pays off and maybe by that time you might have learned to hate everything you love about the game now.

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are other options to work in the game, course management, hospitality etc.

I very nearly took a job at St Andrews selling corporate packages to Japanese and American tourists. Close call between wife and kids, and living and working at St Andrews !! ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am I right in thinking though that with a 4 handicap or lower you can still go and do the PGA exams or do you need to be attached for the coursework to be assessed.

There are loads of other jobs. Retail (AG etc), corporate hospitality or working in a back office job with playing access. I went for a job as an accounts administrator at Crown Golf's head office down the road from me at Blue Mountain. Free memebership and unlimited range balls!