James Bond

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the best Bond films I have seen, but as big fan of the franchise I am left thinking what next....

When is it acceptable to discuss with spoilers? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think we need to make a spoiler thread so those who haven't seen it can avoid it.

Just title it clearly spoiler thread so don't enter if you don't want to see

sunshine

Visit site
Have you forgotten George Lazenby ?. No one has been more wooden in films than George.

I have a soft spot for Roger Moore, he was the Bond I grew up with.

Absolutely! Roger Moore brought a totally different spin on the role.

I feel sorry for Brosnan, I thought he was a pretty good Bond but he had the worst films, they really sank to a low with Die Another Day, which was just 2 hours of product placement and CGI.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I feel sorry for Brosnan, I thought he was a pretty good Bond but he had the worst films, they really sank to a low with Die Another Day, which was just 2 hours of product placement and CGI.
No Bond should ever have to suffer Madonna as a co star :eek:.

Was that the film where his car became 'invisible'? It was definitely a film which 'jumped the shark'. I agree, Brosnan had a bum deal (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Goldeneye one of the best bond movies of all time

Living day lights one My favs loved Dalton

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
My opinion:

Connery defined Bond, and some of the stories he had were the best. Goldfinger is a fantastic, if rather dated now, movie and YOLT is my favourite.

Lazenby was OK, but OHMSS is a great movie and would have bene fantastic with Connery and a little bit more editing.

Moore would have been a better Bond if he had been 10 years younger. He couldn't carry off the action as well as Connery and the 70s Oh err missus gags have dated badly.

Dalton was serious and moody, good actor, but not great stories.

Brosnan was somewhere between Moore and Connery, some decent stories and not a bad actor. Goldeneye was good, Halle Berry was very good. The disappearing Aston and surfing on a CGI wave, not so much.

Craig was very good, probably second only to Connery, with the dangerousness and the charm mixed in together. Some great stories (apart from Quantum of Solace, obvs) and good back up characters.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Dalton would make a good Bond now (if he was younger, obviously) but i think that the change from Moore to him was too great in one leap. If you had (as was originally planned if he could have got out of Remmington Steele) Brosnan after Moore then it would have cleared the way nicely for a more serious Bond like Dalton. I could see Dalton working well if he was given the Craig scripts to work with.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Dalton would make a good Bond now (if he was younger, obviously) but i think that the change from Moore to him was too great in one leap. If you had (as was originally planned if he could have got out of Remmington Steele) Brosnan after Moore then it would have cleared the way nicely for a more serious Bond like Dalton. I could see Dalton working well if he was given the Craig scripts to work with.

Starting bond later in life I love Dalton

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, how many baddies does Bond kill, how long is the car chase, what ridiculous gadgets are deployed, what products are advertised in this latest film?
I understand only the baddie has a facial disfigurement (again).
Why should that be?

The true Bond was a Cold War spy and his character was partly based on a real life spy by Ian Fleming.
In the 1960's Britain was emerging from austerity and what enthralled the public then was a mixture of exotic places, danger and glamour.
Connery with his manly appearance was just right for the role. Best films From Russia and You Only with Gold having probably the most memorable golf match ever.
Yet Fleming's first choice of Bond was Roger Moore and had he had the scripts of Connery I imagine he might have been the best.
But the 70's was the decade of comedy and this was reflected in the scripts for the Moore films.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The worst Bond by miles was Roger Moore, a real cardboard cut out. His only talent was to raise his eyebrow.
He should not have acted after The Saint
Even worse was the cringy part in For Your Eyes Only, with the teenage skater having to be infatuated with him and trying to get him into bed - he must have been old enough to be her great grandfather at that point :sick:

D

Deleted member 1147

Just out of interest, how many baddies does Bond kill, how long is the car chase, what ridiculous gadgets are deployed, what products are advertised in this latest film?
I understand only the baddie has a facial disfigurement (again).
Why should that be?

The true Bond was a Cold War spy and his character was partly based on a real life spy by Ian Fleming.
In the 1960's Britain was emerging from austerity and what enthralled the public then was a mixture of exotic places, danger and glamour.
Connery with his manly appearance was just right for the role. Best films From Russia and You Only with Gold having probably the most memorable golf match ever.
Yet Fleming's first choice of Bond was Roger Moore and had he had the scripts of Connery I imagine he might have been the best.
But the 70's was the decade of comedy and this was reflected in the scripts for the Moore films.
He wasn’t really a spy, he was an assassin