J.B Slow, I mean Holmes

TRS30

Head Pro
Visit site
Taken from the R&A Rules:

8-1.Advice
During a stipulated round, a player must not:
a. give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or
b. ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

I didnt notice it as I was in the kitchen, but if you're correct then thats very out of order. That said, its just as much Luke's caddies fault for giving him the information!!

Edit: just read that properly, and it seems you can ask for advice!! Hmmmmmmmmmm, is this another grey area?

Is an interesting one Keef. So a player can't ask another player what club they used but one caddy can ask another caddy?? Sounds like a grey area to me, if its correct.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Actually no, I misread it yet again!

A player may ask his partner (definition of which is "A “partner’’ is a player associated with another player on the same side. In threesome, foursome, best-ball or four-ball play, where the context so admits, the word “player” includes his partner or partners."), as none of Stricker, Holmes or Donald were partners, then asking for advice is not allowed.

If correct then, the rules were definitely broken and a 2 shot penalty should be levied.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just finished watching the highlights that I sky+'d.

I've got to say that Luke played really well. To come in with a score like that and still fall short is heartbreaking for him. I think the overnight lead was just too big.

I have to agree about Holmes. i wouldn't pay to watch the galoot.

Sky have got to have a change in the studio. I like Tony Johnstone, can put up with Rob Lee but Mr boring nobody is shite. Does the E stand for "eyes-shut"?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
John E Morgan is a typical wannabe presenter who trys way too hard. I don't really think he brings anything to the show other than a few seasons on the PGA tour. I'd rather have Johnson and Pugh or even Simon Holmes

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
John E Morgan is a typical wannabe presenter who trys way too hard. I don't really think he brings anything to the show other than a few seasons on the PGA tour. I'd rather have Johnson and Pugh or even Simon Holmes

Simon Holmes is brilliant, his digital golf school DVDs make Leadbetter look like an Aussie bluffer. :p

Chrimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to agree about Holmes. i wouldn't pay to watch the galoot.

What a palaver ...... three practice swings, stand behind the ball, shuffle eight steps, address the ball then hit it.

I noticed both Donald and Stricker were looking anywhere except at Holmes when he was playing his shots ... :)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

8-1.Advice
a. give advice to anyone in the competition playing on the course other than his partner, or
b. ask for advice from anyone other than his partner or either of their caddies.

I didnt notice it as I was in the kitchen, but if you're correct then thats very out of order. That said, its just as much Luke's caddies fault for giving him the information!!

Edit: just read that properly, and it seems you can ask for advice!! Hmmmmmmmmmm, is this another grey area?

no, because your opponent is not your partner.
that just allows for team play in four balls/better ball

TRS30

Head Pro
Visit site

8-1.Advice

no, because your opponent is not your partner.
that just allows for team play in four balls/better ball

So what the two caddies did was against the rules?? Seems strange they would risk it with all the camera's around. It makes me think I saw it wrong but am pretty sure what I saw!!