I've tried watching 'Real Crime' tonight.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
My wife and I thought that we'd watch 'Real Crimes' tonight. The story of Rhys Jones.

Trouble is I have to get back to the forum because, one I'm quite choked up, and two I'm fuming!

Sorry ladies and gents, but this is gonna be a bit of a 'soap box' moment.

The forum rules dictate that I cannot use bad language on here, but if I could. You get the drift.

Bring back capital punishment. There, I've said it.

How much more are we, the decent (generally) law abiding citezens going to live under the threat of these yobs, regardless of their age!

These thugs need to be shown that the law has teeth, and if that means bringing back capital punishment, then so be it.

We should not introduce the stupidly extensive appeal laws that the USA has either. If it is proven that this type of murder has been commited, then death penalty it is.

Same goes for Jamie Bulgers killers, Baby p's killers.....

String 'em up.

I make no apologies for my statement. So if someone wants to defend the indefensable, I'm afraid that I really cannot agree with you.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Right behind you, if someone is man enough to kill another person, not in self defence, then they really need the strongest punishment possible. Fannying about with legal proceedings after they have been proven guilty just wastes money and prolongs the pain for those related to the deceased.
It wont stop everyone but those that insist in murdering then deserve all they get and means one less maniac on the streets.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife and I thought that we'd watch 'Real Crimes' tonight. The story of Rhys Jones.

Trouble is I have to get back to the forum because, one I'm quite choked up, and two I'm fuming!

The forum rules dictate that I cannot use bad language on here, but if I could. You get the drift.

How much more are we, the decent (generally) law abiding citezens going to live under the threat of these yobs, regardless of their age!

These thugs need to be shown that the law has teeth, and if that means bringing back capital punishment, then so be it.

We should not introduce the stupidly extensive appeal laws that the USA has either. If it is proven that this type of murder has been commited, then death penalty it is.

String 'em up.

I make no apologies for my statement. So if someone wants to defend the indefensable, I'm afraid that I really cannot agree with you.

I agree with you 100%. Fancy being my home secretary or justice minister when I get elected as PM ?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner

String 'em up.

I agree with you 100%. Fancy being my home secretary or justice minister when I get elected as PM ?

And that is why I love this forum. I can be having a discussion with someone on another thread, and perhaps not totally agreeing with them. Whilst at the exact same time, I can post this thread, and get this type of reaction.

You couldn't even do that over the dinner table or down the pub!

Incidently. The more I see of this programme. String up the whole flipping gang. They make me sick!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
The wife and I have been discussing this, and in some respects I do agree with her.

These gang members probably didn't stand a chance from the word go.

They quite possibly grew up, in a very unloving, uncaring environment at home. Possibly with parents that have their own 'issues' and problems. They live in an area with no opportunities other than what's offered by the gangs. They, in reality had very few choices in life, and those few choices they did make were wrong.

It doesn't make what they did any easier. I still stand by my earlier statement. Though I do think that there is something so fundimentially wrong with society and individuals that enables these youngsters to become what they are.

These people do know the difference between right and wrong, and yet they choose to ignore it.

Swamp the area with armed police. Stick an 8pm to 6am curfew on. I know that this impacts on the law abiding folk of the area. But at least they'll know that they won't be robbed, threatened or otherwise abused by these idiots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have to agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments already made but sadly the power of British law has been so diluted by faceless bureaucrats in Brussels and The Hague that even a 100% public referendum would not bring the right penalty for such crimes back onto the staute books. Its all about civil liberties and human rights for the criminal now. Pity they weren't thinking about the innocent vicitm and their rights as they were senselessly butchering them. I think if you are convicted of murder you should forgoe any claim to any appeal on grounds of civil liberty and human rights and can only be reviewed in light of fresh DNA or similar evidence.

I'd happily vote for capital punishment but I'm also a realist and recognise this deterrent in condemmed to the history books.

Ste_Denial

Head Pro
Visit site
i tottaly agree with all the above comments, most people hear stories about going to prison and that it isnt hard, prison should be a punishment not a vacation.

and for the jamie bulger killers, when they came out of prison they were given no identities, why should they be entitled to new identities?

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I'd happily vote for capital punishment but I'm also a realist and recognise this deterrent in condemmed to the history books.

That there is the problem....history books!

Just look at the way crime has swung in this country since we got too soft on this sort of criminal, it speaks volumes that there are gangs of these youths in every city, and the next Rhys Jones, James Bulger case is just waiting to happen right around the corner.

The USA adopts capital punishment in a lot of its states and is the self proclaimed "land of the free" so why cant we? European Union, thats why!! Homer hit the nail on the head and its bloody ridiculous. We're far too soft over here what with human rights this & human rights that. We should have prisons that resemble those of Thailand and a judicial system to match. An eye for an eye and all that jazz.

Why should I, the decent living, law abiding, tax payer, stump up to keep these scum in a life of near luxury (lets be fair - prisons arent what they used to be) for the next 12 or so years only to be released into society again so that they can continue where they left off in their ferel existance?

This country sucks in so many ways :(

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
They quite possibly grew up, in a very unloving, uncaring environment at home. Possibly with parents that have their own 'issues' and problems. They live in an area with no opportunities other than what's offered by the gangs. They, in reality had very few choices in life, and those few choices they did make were wrong.

While I whole-heartedly agree with your sentiments on capital punishment (I'd bring back corporal punishment too, I can't agree with this one.

For every one of these there are hundreds that grew up in exactly the same type of environment and haven't resorted to crime, in any of its forms.
The 'liberal' attitudes of the sixties and seventies, as with PC, were taken to extremes leading to the culture that we now have where 'nothing is anyone's fault' and everything is the result of the environment. The culture of standing with your hand out waiting for some hard-working taxpayer to fill it stems from this as well (and absolutely no disrespect intended to those who are genuinely in need but we know the vultures are out there, don't we).

As to the US, most states have I think forgone capital punishment, one or two have held to it and one or two have debated re-introducing it but it can literally take a lifetime before a sentence is carried out.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have definate worries about the idea of going down this route.

I have no qualms with the idea of society taking revenge on the guilty in certain cases.

As far as I'm concerned, rapists and child molesters should never be released from jail - they cannot be cured by just sticking them inside for a few years, so when they come out again, they MUST still have those disgusting urges to reoffend.

But to actually string someone up ? Tricky for me. When the IRA bombers were around in the 70s they hit a localish pub to where we lived, and ( via friend of a friend, admittedly ) I knew people who knew people who were injured in it. So I would have been more than happy for the Guildford 4 to be hung when they were so obviously guilty.

Only they weren't.

Ok, hanging is fine if you could ensure you only ever killed the guilty, but sooner or later an innocent would die. And I could never condone that. Look how terrible the case against Derek Bentley looks in retrospect.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This debate has been going on for years now and I have a few questions.
When did Physical discipline cease in schools?...about 1980?
So someone born in 1975 went through school without the belt or strap.
They were the first generation to do so. There was no DETERENT. STOP IT OR ELSE !!!
How old are they now, 34?
How old are their kids....10 to 15? The second generation.
What age group are terrorising our streets?
Coincidence?
How can young parents discipline their children when they dont know how to?
And finally......Has anyone's life been ruined by getting the belt at school?
Sorry, probably too many questions.
I know some teachers were probably bullys with the belt, but they should have been removed, not the belt.
Nowadays, its stop it or else I'll send you home
There is no deterent left. :( :( :(

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This debate has been going on for years now and I have a few questions.
When did Physical discipline cease in schools?...about 1980?
So someone born in 1975 went through school without the belt or strap.
They were the first generation to do so. There was no DETERENT. STOP IT OR ELSE !!!
How old are they now, 34?
How old are their kids....10 to 15? The second generation.
What age group are terrorising our streets?
Coincidence?
How can young parents discipline their children when they dont know how to?
And finally......Has anyone's life been ruined by getting the belt at school?
Sorry, probably too many questions.
I know some teachers were probably bullys with the belt, but they should have been removed, not the belt.
Nowadays, its stop it or else I'll send you home
There is no deterent left. :( :( :(

Interesting post. I'll avoid a kneejerk reaction to it, other than to say it initially makes sense, but there are immediate doubts floating around my mind . I might get back if I can work my brain into action. This subject is all a bit serious and deep for my normally flightily halfwit cerebellum.

Darn good post though

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ther belt was banned the year I started high school .. 1982.

I have a theory that instead of using the word RESPECT we should use FEAR. I didnt have respect for my teachers, I liked them but I also had the fear of what they could do if I stepped out of line. The same applies to my parents. I loved them but by God I had the fear of what they would do if I got into trouble or brought trouble home. My dad only had to raise his voice and I would brick it, my mum was the one with the stinging hand and the lazer guided slipper.
I swear ir could go round corners and catch the backs of my legs from anywhere in the house.

DOES ANYONE ELSE REMEBER THE 'DEATH SENTENCE' WHEN YOU WERE NAUGHTY WHEN OUT WITH YOUR PARENTS ......

WAIT TIL I GET YOU HOME !!!!!!!!!

I would beg to be dealt with there and then as I knew it would be 10 times worse by the time we got home.

I have never lifted my hand to my little princess but I have raised my voice and that is enough because we have instilled discipline at a young age and now she is a very grounded and happy little girl.

So I would say bring back the belt, get rid of detention and give the yoof of today something that makes them think of their punishment and consequencies to their actions.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
the more obvious correlation with the end of corporal punishment is the overwhelming increase in exclusions and expulsions.

detention became a joke when it had to be agreed with parents when it was (if ever) to take place, which now means it only applies at lunchtime. (hands up who got detention for <u>staying</u> in the school buildings at lunchtime - not a lot of deterrent value there!)

this achieves what? - exclusion gives the school a short break, but leaves the little b free to roam the streets (not brilliant if truancy was the reason!). expulsion simply passes the problem on to someone else.

and on top of this, the little b will now qualify for a council paid holiday activity that is not available to those who haven't been in trouble. (this was the major reason I resigned my position as a school governor - stupid Cambs County Council)