I've just hit the best shot ever...

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, we've all done it, haven't we? But mine really was - let me explain.

Just three-putted the 12th to go 2-down in an important match and then blocked my next driver miles right onto the next fairway on a dog-leg left par-5. No idea how far to go, but all that really matters is what club I can get over a small gap at the top of the trees with the ball sitting down a touch in the semi. Oh, and if it doesn't get just the right amount of draw it will end up in the clag on the right. Meanwhile my opponent's sitting pretty in the middle of the fairway just a mid-iron from the green.

'It's now or never,' I say to my caddie before launching myself at my 4-iron in a totally committed way... and then being amazed to see the ball doing exactly what it needed to do.

Finished on the front edge from where I two-putted for birdie before going on to halve the match up the last.

Definitely, 100%, the best golf shot ever - unless anyone else knows different...?

B

birdieman

'I say to my caddie

Is this normal? I've only had a caddie once in my life when my daft brother offered to be bag man for a gents open, he never offered again.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I fear you're all missing the point slightly. Yes, we all know about Seve's 3-wood, Sandy's 7-iron and Tiger's chip at Augusta. But what I was really hoping for were tales of personal derring-do on the golf course, and shots that YOU have played that are as good as any, but perhaps witnessed by only a chosen few.

Or does no-one else ever feel they've hit a world class golf shot? Perhaps I'm deluding myself...

As for the caddie thing, no, it waa a complete one-off in an important competition where it was taken as read that you'd have one. Allowed me the luxury of strutting around for at least one day pretending to be a top class golfer.

Back to the reality of lugging my own sticks all too quickly I'm afraid!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Standing on the tee of the 240yd par 3 17th at my course in a texas scramble I had to hit the drive and struck the best 3 wood of my life. It pitched 3 ft short of the flag, hit the stick and sat a foot from the hole. We won the cup that was in memory of my playing partners son who died too young.

My kodak moment.

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to play at Greetham Valley. Playing in the Texas, my partner duffed the tee shot about 100 yards. Faced with an almost Island green and a score that would have us in contention if I laid up.

I went for it and stopped it stone dead with a 3 iron, tapped in for birdie and finished 2nd!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My previous home track was a 9 holer, with 18 tees. I played one Sunday in the captain / pro challenge, where, you take on the captain and pro in a four ball better ball format.
On the fourth hole, a short par 4 dogleg, I scored an eagle 2 first time round (5 wood, 8 iron), and then a birdie 3 on the back nine when my 8 iron lipped out. Not bad to play the same par four twice, in only 5 shots.

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think i have one

on the hardest hole of the course in a texas scramble, it was the 14th and our last due to a shotgun start and we were -16 for the round ( which was ridiculous and we were a bit annoyed we werent going to reach -18)...anyway back to the story and we had 170 yards left to the 460 yard hole and i took out my 7-iron as the second to play and struck sweet as you like straight at the flag, it took two hops and disappeared...to masss celebration from myself and my playing partners.

Definitely my best ever, although my hole in one at a 200-yard par three comes close but was in practice so not the same

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
13th tee at West Kent GC. Down hill par 3 that plays about 160. Hit an 8 iron (it is severly downhill) that pitched past the pin, slipped into reverse to roll perfectly into the middle of the cup...

If only I wasn't playing on my own. To this day nobody believes me

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Know how you feel , chipin1.

When I was 20 years younger I holed my 2nd at the 18th at Nairn Dunbar for an albatross. Was playing on my own but fortunately 2 old school friends were watching from the clubhouse. The only thing that pains me was that the green is in a dip on a plateau so I didn't witness it myself...

...didn't see my first ever hole in one 20 years later thanks to the same problem. But at least it was in a monthly medal, which I won.

Maybe one day I'll see one!