I've asked this before..... but

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looking for a little help on the subject of hitting a pull left.

.....But only with clubs 3 iron and longer.

4-Wedges are fine, but anything longer is starting left. Ball flight is straight (no fade or draw at all) and I'm missing my target area by about 10-15 yards to the left.

OK not massive, but on a few holes on my track this brings trouble into play as the start line on the pull sends it straight toward the conifers/trees/OOB.

Here's a visual example:

Hole1a.jpg

This is the 1st hole at my course. The yellow dot is the tee box. The red line and dot are my target line and desired target area. The blue line and dot are what I'm actually getting.

I asked this question before and Bob said it was a combination of my strong grip and swing path into the ball.

My grip (as per a previous post) is a lot more neutral, so not sure it's the grip closing the face.

temporary-66.jpg

Could I be turning my hips a little too much through the down swing opening my shoulders at impact?

Any advice/help as always welcome :thup:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All I can think of that would affect only certain clubs is ball position. Do you have the ball any further forward for your 3 iron than 4 iron.

If not, it can only be in your head can't it?

A 3 iron is only 3° stronger than a 4 iron and 1/2" longer.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, ye olde Pull.

When this happens to me, I just pull my right foot back and nudge my left forward.

"Works for me." Quote "RGDave, fairway splitter c.1997"

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My bad shot is a pull, its because I do not open the clubface enough on the backswing, when the shaft is horizontal the face is slightly shut. This happens more with the longer irons and is just a trust issue, wanting not to slice it.

Not sure if its the same thing, one easy test is to compare your shaft at horizontal with a 8 iron to your 3 iron.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Problem solved.

Combination of Bob and Pieces' answer.

Trying to hit it too hard and starting the downswing with the shoulders.

Went for 9 holes tonight. Focused on starting my swing from the ground up and swinging smoothly and a lot more controlled.

The net result - 9 holes = 3 over :thup: