IT question

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to be a few IT expert type bods on here so I'll ask something which has been bugging me for a while.

We recently switched to Windows 8 pc's on our machines, let's say there's 2 pc's per machine, one is called A, the other B.
We map from B to A as the A pc contains all the machine data. In Windows 7 we never had an issue when fixing IP addresses however with Windows 8 generally as soon as we fix IP addresses we get the old "cannot connect to drive" message however the mapped drive is still connected (click on the mapped drive and it connects straight away so I can see the folders/files). Sometimes if the IP addresses are set to automatic we get the error message but usually it works ok.
Does that make some sort of sense and if so is there a fix? I've trawled the net and can't find a solution as of yet. My workaround is a shortcut on the desktop to the mapped drive which I click on if I get the "cannot connect" error.
As I said before, we never have any issues in Windows 7!

As the Angry Birds once said...Fire Away!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never really seen anyone do that sort of thing. We map a server drive for that and use a kix32 login script to add the drives at logon. Anytime I had bother with OS above Win7 it's usually because Authenticated Users group wasn't added to the folder or resource. Seeing that it's already in there for my non shared C drive It's odd. Anyime I need to connect to a drive over UNC path I need to use the dollar sign too because it's hidden from the network.

for instance \\paulsPC\c$ - works the same for the D drive too to get access to a cd in someone elses tray. Maybe the mapped drive needs the $ added, I don't know.

Maybe set alternative permissions as maybe the domain admin account to when you first set up the mapped drive in the "Connect using different credentials" tick box.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My head just exploded :confused:
I'm not an IT person I just do the odd mapping and basic IP stuff, most customers who have our machines don't have an IT department as such either. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a UNC and a TNUC ;)

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I just basically mapped a drive to the C drive of the guy sitting across the desk from me without the need for him to share his C drive.

Press Start + R
Type this in - \\InsertNameofPC\c$

If you can get access to the C drive contents, then you should be able to map a drive no problem. Open My Computer, and go to map a network drive up the top. Pick a drive letter, and again put \\InsertNameofPC\c$ into the folder text box. Tick reconnect at login. Leave Connect using different credentials unticked for now and hit finish. It should instantly open a window with the C drive of the other computer. Refreshing the My Computer window will show the mapped drive :)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I should have said, I've already done the map from B to A but if I were to reboot pc B it comes up with the "cannot connect" error message. If I then click on the mapped drive icon it connects as normal as though there was never an issue in the first place.
Only has started happening in Windows 8 for some reason, all maps in Windows 7 are stable and it gets worse if I put in static IP adresses.
Essentially any maps I do from a Windows 8 pc have this problem, it doesn't seem to matter if I'm mapping to a Windows 8, 7 or XP pc I always get the same problem. If I map to the Windows 8 pc from 7 or XP I don't have any problems at all. Like I said it's not a huge problem just bloody annoying.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Could well be a permissions issue. I wouldn't personally keep switching static to DHCP addressing because of the impact on the DNS server host records but if when you add the mapped drive you could add the domain admin account to the 'Connect with different credentials" box to see if that helps it out. It's hard for me to recreate it because We're just Win7 and one Win10 PC. I can't seem to get the same issue from the Win10 PC.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also to add. Try turning off the UAC or set it to low. Turn off IPv6 setting in network settings.

Try this too with regards to the UAC treating admin users as normal users when mapping a drive.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx

Hmm early signs show you may have cracked it mate. I didn't do the first UAC thing as I don't know how but I disabled IPV6 and did the regedit thing. Two reboots so far and no connection error message.
You sir deserve a pay rise :thup:, obviously I'm going to steal this if it's proven to work and impress the bosses ;)