Isle of Purbeck Golf Course

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So our annual golf weekend arrived and we heard off to the coast to sunny Bournemouth. It is a 3 day trip playing 3 courses. On the Friday we played Dudsbury, Saturday was Isle of Purbeck with the Sunday finishing with Meyrick Park.

Dudsbury was a decent course although I guess would fall into the category of ‘standard corporate fair’ type thing. Was a nice loosner though and having left Surrey in torrential rain it was nice to get out of the car with sun and blue skies.

Meyrick Park as a fairly short and tight course which you tended to pay a price if you ended up wide of the fairways.

The highlight of our trip however was Isle of Purbeck on the Saturday. In the run up to this trip we had been warned by others to pack enough golf balls etc etc so I think we all ensured that we had enough balls for 2 rounds of golf if things went south! Got the ferry across Poole Harbour from Bournemouth and it’s then just a 15 minute drive the other side.

The course is set in the hills above the harbour and gives brilliant views of the surrounding area. The first 5 holes or so lured us into a false sense of security and we didn't really see what the fuss was all about however once you got higher up and further away from the clubhouse (the first few holes just circle the start) the wind started to get up and the course difficulty increased.

Lots of shots over heather/gorse to reach the fairways. Greens that were rock hard which meant a number of following shots where played from the rough at the back. The greens themselves played pretty quick which took some getting used to however they were true.

The one thing I would say is that apparently the course is on National Trust land so they’re not allowed to use any chemicals. This means that a few of the fairways were very, very sandy and unless you got a perfect strike it was like playing out of a bunker!

I think we got pretty luck with the weather, even with the wind getting up I think the conditions were pretty benign and I would imagine that playing in wetter weather, shorter run on fairways and proper wind would make this course really tough. As it is I came in with 32 points which I was really pleased with!

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one thing I would say is that apparently the course is on National Trust land so they’re not allowed to use any chemicals. This means that a few of the fairways were very, very sandy and unless you got a perfect strike it was like playing out of a bunker!

This is true. We played there on our little weekend away a few months back. Loved the location of the course and there's some amazing views. Felt it was a little let down by the condition, but as you say, there's not an awful lot they can do.

Nice pics :thup:

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like the location a lot its a cracking spot..... the course unless you are a local/member is painful and in my opinion a little too severe. You hit a straight shot but blind and your ball disappears..... for ever..... not much fun or reward in that. I've played tough courses and many Links all over the place but this one was just a little painful for us visitors and needed to be more receptive.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Loved the location of the course and there's some amazing views. Felt it was a little let down by the condition, but as you say, there's not an awful lot they can do.

I agree with you. We used to have a Society day there, but in the end moved to Ferndown. The view from the 5th and 6th tees are not bad.:thup:

mattdeeks

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
16 of us are heading down at the beginning of October, playing Isle of Purbeck day 1 then Dorset Golf and Country Club day 2. Really looking forward to playing the Isle of Purbeck.

I've just got a load of new balls hopefully I won't need to use to many.