Isla Canela Golf Course

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
While in Andalucia, Spain on holiday I took the liberty of fitting in a round of golf as Isla Canela Golf Course
(http://www.golfislacanela.com/en/)

I have played the course once before about 3 or 4 years ago shortly after taking up golf, this time as I'm a little more comfortable with my game I'm happier to write a review. :)

The course is about 6493 yards long from the yellow tees that we opted to play from. The course is well maintained, the greens were excellent despite very few putts dropping for us!

There is plenty of water to contend with and the bunker placement makes the approach to every green a challenge. The par threes are all relatively long with the shortest of the four playing at 152 yards and the longest (the first) closer to 186 yards. The course tends to reward the accurate player although the fairways can punish a good shot with a nasty bounce or run off the fairway into the rougher ground.

Pace of play while we were there was fine. On the first hole there were three pairs, one on the green, one who had waved those on the green through and us on the tee. I was worried we might get held up but the entire round took just over 4 hours and we never waited on a tee and I can only recall waiting for the green to clear once.

One down side is the club hire, I'm not expecting top end branded gear but the clubs we got were very whippy lite graphite shafted clubs and I think a few of my more wayward shots would not have resulted with use of my own clubs.

It was also apparent that the economic climate has perhaps not been kind as since my last visit the club house seems to have been moved to the hotel reception and the pro shop is closed.

So, summing up, if you are in the area and need to knock a golf ball around for a few hours this is a good course to visit. If you are serious about your golf and would get annoyed by poor hired clubs either take your own kit with you or make other arrangements.