Is tomorrow the beginning of the end for long putters/anchoring?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I wonder if the green speeds will be slowed down too.

Hogan & Snead never putted on greens stimping at 14 did they eh?

Can't help thinking this really should have been addressed ten plus years ago and the R&A & USGA have taken a long time to react.

V

vkurup

I use a regular putter... but after Christmas, my belly starts touching the putter head..

Legal or Illegal???

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
so if I grip down my 35" putter to the bare shaft (as many do) the grip touches my wrist or part of my forearm, I'm still holding it normally like Kuchar or would you also say thats not normal?
i wouldn't say it was "normal", as almost everybody chooses a putter that fits their height. Kuchar's style is not normal .... I have no issue with it, or even belly putters, though.

I use a regular putter... but after Christmas, my belly starts touching the putter head..

Legal or Illegal???
that's a serious gut to touch the putter head !!

But i would assume that was a mistype, and i would hope you already know it would be illegal to touch the handle with your belly.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The R&A mail I got says it is a "proposed" rule change which makes it sound like there is an approval process to go through before they actually decide to change it. But then this is the R&A so ambiguity is normal.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
so if I grip down my 35" putter to the bare shaft (as many do) the grip touches my wrist or part of my forearm, I'm still holding it normally like Kuchar or would you also say thats not normal?
proposed because it doesn't come in until 2016 and hence can still be changed after the 90 day consultation period.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
that's a serious gut to touch the putter head !!

But i would assume that was a mistype, and i would hope you already know it would be illegal to touch the handle with your belly.

This might be one of the grey areas that comes up - what's the difference between touching and anchoring?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
This might be one of the grey areas that comes up - what's the difference between touching and anchoring?
from the usga web pages.....

Note 1: The club is anchored “directly” when the player intentionally holds the club or a gripping hand in contact with any part of his body, except that the player may hold the club or a gripping hand against a hand or forearm.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the q&A

Q: What would be the ruling if, in making a stroke, the player happens to brush the club, hand or forearm against his or her body?
A: The proposed Rule prohibits only intentional anchoring of the club, whether directly or indirectly. If the club or a gripping hand or forearm comes in contact with the body during the stroke but the player has not intentionally held it against the body, there would be no breach of the Rule.

Basically like most of the rules if your doing something intentionally that breaks the rules and you continue to do it then your likely breaking many more rules too ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect they may ban them from the pro game but make them usable by a local rule, like GPS devices, in the amateur game.

Unless the rules specifically permit committee's to make a local rule permitting anchoring then this can't happen - and I haven't seen anything to suggest that such a step is envisaged; if anything it's the opposite.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone feel that any majors won by using the soon to be outlawed method will forever have an asterix next to them as being won using an unfair advantage on the greens?

Just a thought.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Does anyone feel that any majors won by using the soon to be outlawed method will forever have an asterix next to them as being won using an unfair advantage on the greens?

Just a thought.

No, as the club/method as legal at the time.
There have been plenty of rule changes in Golf. Driver COR, Wedge Grooves, Ping Eye2 irons and there's no questioning Tournaments won before rule changes came in. Plus the long putters are not being banned, just the way they're held.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
worth getting a decent belly or broom putter and hanging onto it- look how we all threw away wrapped 1.62 balls and now they are collectors items

Last edited: