Is there a penalty in Matchplay or not?

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is not a situation that happened, but I was asked this question by another member.

Singles matchplay. Both players have played their approach shots that have ended up on the green. Player A is further from the hole so putts first. Player B did not mark his ball, simply left it in place on the green. Player A's ball hits player B's ball.

Is there any penalty? If so, what is it.

If it was 4BBB matchplay and the putted ball strikes any one of the other 3 balls on the green, would the answer be the same?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Singles matchplay. Both players have played their approach shots that have ended up on the green. Player A is further from the hole so putts first. Player B did not mark his ball, simply left it in place on the green. Player A's ball hits player B's ball.

Is there any penalty?

If it was 4BBB matchplay and the putted ball strikes any one of the other 3 balls on the green, would the answer be the same?

no penalty in singles

penalty wouldn't apply in 4BBB but if your opponents consider your partners ball may be an advantage to you they may request it be lifted before you putt, in the same way as they can lift their own balls.

basically it's up to you opponent to protect their interests if they feel their ball may be of advantage to you. In strokeplay the rules set out to protect the interests of the field - hence a penalty applies in case you could have gained an advantage.

Last edited:

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I had a feeling there was no penalty but could not find a definitive answer.

Interestingly, in my match today, I asked my opponent what he thought, after the match was over. His response was "I play a lot of matchplay and the answerr is definitely loss of hole in single matchplay and in 4BBB, the player that putted would be out of the hole." I guess he was wrong :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I had a feeling there was no penalty but could not find a definitive answer.

Interestingly, in my match today, I asked my opponent what he thought, after the match was over. His response was "I play a lot of matchplay and the answerr is definitely loss of hole in single matchplay and in 4BBB, the player that putted would be out of the hole." I guess he was wrong :)

And the prize for his answer should be a Rule book highlighting 19.5.a

19-Ball in Motion Deflected or Stopped
19-5 - By Another Ball
a. At Rest
If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke is deflected or stopped by a ball in play and at rest, the player must play his ball as it lies. In match play, there is no penalty. In stroke play, there is no penalty, unless both balls lay on the putting green prior to the stroke, in which case the player incurs a penalty of two strokes.