Is the 'long putter' rejuvenated?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well I have problems believing that Adam Scott's putting style is not 'anchoring'.

His putter is so long that his upper grip is as close to his sternum as is possible without actually making contact. He holds his upper arm so firmly against the upper body so as to prevent movement which to me is a form of anchoring!

The so-called 'Kucher' method still, IMO, anchors the shaft against the fore-arm.

It seems to me the PGA etc won't touch the likes of Langar et al which rather, in practise, makes the rule a joke.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Adam Scott makes an effort to keep his upper hand at least away from his chest. Langer does not.
It seems that all the authorities are letting it fly so as not to challenge the integrity of the players.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well I have problems believing that Adam Scott's putting style is not 'anchoring'.

His putter is so long that his upper grip is as close to his sternum as is possible without actually making contact.

That's legit then!

He holds his upper arm so firmly against the upper body so as to prevent movement which to me is a form of anchoring!

That would be illegal, but has been observed and approved!

The so-called 'Kucher' method still, IMO, anchors the shaft against the fore-arm.

That is specifically permitted!

https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Rules/Anchoring/Prohibited-and-Permitted-Strokes

D

Deleted member 15344

His putter is so long that his upper grip is as close to his sternum as is possible without actually making contact. He holds his upper arm so firmly against the upper body so as to prevent movement which to me is a form of anchoring!

It seems to me the PGA etc won't touch the likes of Langar et al which rather, in practise, makes the rule a joke.

The PGA and R&A don’t have any problems and that’s all that matters - there is nothing wrong with using a long putter provided it’s within the rules and last I looked they were all within the rules. None of them are anchoring and I would hope we would trust the integrity and honesty of seasoned pros to ensure they aren’t breaking the rules - that’s the fabric of our game gone if we don’t trust them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The PGA and R&A don’t have any problems and that’s all that matters - there is nothing wrong with using a long putter provided it’s within the rules and last I looked they were all within the rules. None of them are anchoring and I would hope we would trust the integrity and honesty of seasoned pros to ensure they aren’t breaking the rules - that’s the fabric of our game gone if we don’t trust them

Good point. It is not as though professional sports people have a history of bending and pushing the rules to the edge and over. Phew, we can all rest easily now.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I don't get what the problem with anchoring was in the first place. I am pretty sure if it had been that much of an advantage, then more players would have chosen to putt that way.

But I would say that a ruling on the equipment would have been easier to police and enforce and would be less ambiguous.

D

Deleted member 15344

Good point. It is not as though professional sports people have a history of bending and pushing the rules to the edge and over. Phew, we can all rest easily now.

Do you want to question the integrity and honesty of both Langer and Scott ? If you really think they are breaking the rules then pick up the phone and give the PGA a bell , I wouldn’t judge golfers on tour alongside the same level of a lot of other professional sports , in the main 99% of sportsmen and ladies are honest , it’s a shame footballers are the 1%.

The rule on anchoring is quite clear - you can’t bend it or push it , it’s clear as day.

I trust the golfers - do you believe you can’t trust them

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Do you want to question the integrity and honesty of both Langer and Scott ? If you really think they are breaking the rules then pick up the phone and give the PGA a bell , I wouldn’t judge golfers on tour alongside the same level of a lot of other professional sports , in the main 99% of sportsmen and ladies are honest , it’s a shame footballers are the 1%.

The rule on anchoring is quite clear - you can’t bend it or push it , it’s clear as day.

I trust the golfers - do you believe you can’t trust them

I agree that golfers rarely fall foul of the rules, but I’d say there’s a fair few sports alongside football that bend it. Rugby, ufc, athletics and cricket to name a few.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would imagine at some point the technique of Scott and Langer has been scrutinised behind closed doors by the powers that be, seeing as the anchoring debate is often raised on social media and the press/TV coverage. No-one has deemed it to be illegal and so it has to be taken at face value that they comply. Good enough for me