Is the current Monarchy too costly for the UK

D

Deleted member 15344

Plenty on here have voiced they don't see the point of the monarchy, probably just staying away as can't be bothered as the bile being spouted by some of those in favour.

And plenty more have spoken in favour of the monarchy- which if going by polls is the general feeling of the monarchy

That many change over the years with more being in favour of removing the monarchy or go the other way - that will depend on what happens in between.

But right now - we aren’t anywhere near removing the monarchy , and we won’t be for a long time.

But those that aren’t in favour they can work on jubilee days , weddings , bank holidays for the royal and just ignore any celebration.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Plenty on here have voiced they don't see the point of the monarchy, probably just staying away as can't be bothered as the bile being spouted by some of those in favour.

Personally I am for royalty, but in the same sense I understand why some are against it. I am of the opinion that discussion on the GM forum won’t change peoples minds Either way, so am just happy to read along.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally I am for royalty, but in the same sense I understand why some are against it. I am of the opinion that discussion on the GM forum won’t change peoples minds Either way, so am just happy to read along.

This is the issue with any matter on here. There is no debate, not acceptance of well crafted argument and concession of points, it is always 2 imoveable opinions banging against each other until one or both sides get bored or they find something else to argue about.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is the issue with any matter on here. There is no debate, not acceptance of well crafted argument and concession of points, it is always 2 imoveable opinions banging against each other until one or both sides get bored or they find something else to argue about.

True. Plus those that are just downright rude about the idiots spouting bile that they disagree with. I don't understand why it's necessary to insult those with an opposing opinion. Whatever happened to agree to disagree...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think you could post that on most topics on here ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For me there is a huge difference between my liking and/or respecting the King and his immediate family - or not as the case may be - and my view on the role and funding by the public purse of the Monarchy as a constitutional institution with a remit that includes aspects of our democracy. I should and can completely separate the two.

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me there is a huge difference between my liking and/or respecting the King and his immediate family - or not as the case may be - and my view on the role and funding by the public purse of the Monarchy as a constitutional institution with a remit that includes aspects of our democracy. I should and can completely separate the two.

I tend to agree. I think we need to look beyond the Privy purse and consider if the vast land and property assets are truly giving a good RoI. Much of the property and land lies underutilised when compared to real commercial farming and the leisure industries, for example.

Take Buckingham Palace as a case of a property very poorly utilised in any commercial sense.

The Crown Estate is where senior exmilitary officers pretend their 'managing' a business: it's not the 'real' world by any stretch of the imagination.

There is a massive opportunity cost to the UK of maintaining the monarchy in its current form.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I tend to agree. I think we need to look beyond the Privy purse and consider if the vast land and property assets are truly giving a good RoI. Much of the property and land lies underutilised when compared to real commercial farming and the leisure industries, for example.

Take Buckingham Palace as a case of a property very poorly utilised in any commercial sense.

The Crown Estate is where senior exmilitary officers pretend their 'managing' a business: it's not the 'real' world by any stretch of the imagination.

There is a massive opportunity cost to the UK of maintaining the monarchy in its current form.
As the crown estate is very profitable and more than covers crown expenditure why do you believe it compares badly with commercial farming, which by and large is not managing too well.

Please can you give some facts and figures to support your view.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

Not massive at all, but very very tiny when compared with the stored wealth of the wealthiest 200 people in this country. That is the greatest opportunity for this country, if that wealth could be put to more beneficial effect for the country. Getting het-up about the royals' wealth is way out of proportion. Abolishing the monarchy would not produce any noticeable increase in standard of living for its citizens.
I have never considered myself a royalist or a monarchist, but I see no benefit in abolishing our constitutional monarchy any time soon.
The issue of where the wealth lies in this country and what is done with that wealth concerns me greatly. Royal wealth, which is mostly merely custodianship on behalf of the nation, is an almost negligible part of that concern for me. I believe I have this concern in its correct proportion.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I saw one interviewed on TV during the week
woooo, amazing. One eh. And where was the BBC's usual "balance" for the last fortnight, we got one side on TV constantly. As I said, you're so far down the propoganda road you can't even see it, ebcause it aligns with your views.