Is our course difficult

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
i Don’t really understand the numbers

We have a slope rating of 121 and a course rating of 69.8.

Does that mean we’re more difficult than average, easier than average or middling, or is there more to it than that?

D

Deleted member 23270

What is the par of your course? The difference between par and course rating will give an indication. My course is par 70 but CR is 71.6 so quite hard.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Is our course difficult?

No.

The CR and SR have been done to make every course the same "difficulty" for every player of every ability.

But you have to believe that the system and the ratings are accurate for this to be true.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
is that why we get more shots than our HI?
On your course I would get the same shots as my HI.

But this "getting shots" is for when you are playing with and against others.

In the old system we could ask each other, "What do you play off?" because your handicap was your handicap at any course. No longer.

If you hand in a general play round and you are not competing with others, then the "getting shots" becomes less relevant. You will achieve a differential for your adjusted gross score and this will be above or below your HI. This process will be happening every time you hand in scores in competition rounds as well.

People are perceiving the CR and SR of courses with their comparative effect of handicap to par and then producing their own "difficulty" rating in their minds.
That is a choice to view the new system in that way.

"I get more shots on this course, because it is difficult" is a valid view
But your differential will be lower than being the same number over par on an "easier" course.
Thus "no course is easier or more difficult than any other" is also a valid view.

Depends on how you are looking at it and choosing to look at it.

Last edited:

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
On your course I would get the same shots as my HI.

But this "getting shots" is for when you are playing with and against others.

In the old system we could ask each other, "What do you play off?" because your handicap was your handicap at any course. No longer.

If you hand in a general play round and you are not competing with others, then the "getting shots" becomes less relevant. You will achieve a differential for your adjusted gross score and this will be above or below your HI. This process will be happening every time you hand in scores in competition rounds as well.

People are perceiving the CR and SR of courses with their comparative effect of handicap to par and then producing their own "difficulty" rating in their minds.
That is a choice to view the new system in that way.

"I get more shots on this course, because it is difficult" is a valid view
But your differential will be lower than being the same number over par on an "easier" course.
Thus "no course is easier or more difficult than any other" is also a valid view.

Depends on how you are looking at it and choosing to look at it.

I think I’m looking for excuses when I have a bad day. At least I can say ‘it’s hard here)????

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Is our course difficult?

No.

The CR and SR have been done to make every course the same "difficulty" for every player of every ability.

But you have to believe that the system and the ratings are accurate for this to be true.
The rating they have given my local course is laughable. Our Pro struggles to break par there, but he hoovers up a lot of the local comps - he won last week with a 62.

But our rating is pretty much identical to all the other courses in the area, in being 0.5ish below par. I am absolutely convinced that it was never properly rated/played, and someone just looked at the yardage and made their decision based on that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I suppose for a course with a high slope and CR ‘ significantly‘ higher than par, that such a course could be described as being relatively harder for the higher handicapper, but that relative hardness will be reflected in a higher Course Handicap for the higher handicapper.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
One massive benefit of the whs is that your handicap is an index that is coupled with the "rating" of the course, so that shots received changes with the difficultly of the course.

But here comes my rebuke for misusing the language :ROFLMAO:
No "misuse" as far as I can see. A perfectly good summing-up of what I posted earlier.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah, it is 69.

so the course rating of 69.8 says it is harder than par

but the slope rating probably puts it at the middle to easier range of rankings

our yellows are 71/69.4/124 as something to compare against

I have played loads of courses and would certainly put ours somewhere in the middle of a difficulty ranking chart but it depends o what you think makes a course difficult ours is all about narrow fairways, deep rough , lots of trees and some fairly small greens rather than length (Yellow 5818). Many of the course I have found more difficult often comes down to their length rather the difficulty of finding the fairway.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My home course is par 71 rated at 73.7 slope 134.. its harder if you carry the ball less than 260, as all the new fairway bunkers which make a barrier across a few fairways gobble up the ball off the tee, carry over 260 and over its considerably easier.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Twas ever thus!;)
Not at my home course, there was reward for accuracy, now there is little trouble long off the tee. Rarely used to get low scores (under 70 gross) in comps now a few of the young lads are shooting 60 something every week.

Skytot

Visit site
Our course is 71.5 cr 135 slope (whites)
70.5 cr 128 slope (yellows )
I find it very hard , lots of doglegs & OB’s.