Is having 3 hybrids in the bag overkill?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The wife keeps asking every day what I want for Xmas and I haven't a clue. We normally spend about £150 on each other. I've got a new bag, new trolley and new waterproofs in the last 6 months, am fine for clothes and shoes as well. Not bothered about lessons atm - I'm happy with the way my game has gone this year, and would only want a lesson if the wheels fell off.

The only golf related thing I can think of is adding a 19 degree 3 hybrid. I've currently got a 4 and a 5 in the bag. The 4 is 22 degrees, Cobra F-Max, the 5 is an old Nike Vapor, 26 degrees. I never use my 5 iron, and the 6 gets hit once in a blue moon. Both hybrids are just so consistent, I automatically reach for them for anything 150 yards+.

I'm just not 100% convinced that the lower loft and longer shaft will mean the 3 is as easy to hit - I tried a 3 wood a few years ago, and just couldn't get away with it at all.

Should I take the plunge or let her get me something boringly non-golf related instead?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What about trying a 19/20 at your local AG / pro shop demo to see. Bit hard for anyone to comment without seeing your swing or knowing your game. I run 3 up until September with the bag going driver, 16* 3w, 17/20/23* hybrids then 5i down but I’ve dropped the 17* for winter months and plopped the 4i back in

D

Deleted member 15344

YE Yang won a major wigh hybrids up to 5 or 6 iron - if it’s good enough for him

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
i'm going this way... interested to hear what lofts they are to accommodate four of them?

D

Deleted member 3432

i'm going this way... interested to hear what lofts they are to accommodate four of them?

I'd be looking at distance gaps rather than lofts. OP needs to do some testing to get the correct gapping from longest hybrid back to longest iron.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I own 3 hybrids (3.4.5) but carry a max of 2 in the bag at any time and recently just picking the one best suited for the course/conditions on that day and leaving the other at home
Takes away any indecision or chance of choosing the 'wrong one' during a round

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to have FIVE … Callaway Razr X HL 21, 24, 27, 30 and 33. I sold them as a job lot, as I had gone back to irons for 5 to 7 and bought a 7 wood. I now only carry one hybrid.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd be looking at distance gaps rather than lofts. OP needs to do some testing to get the correct gapping from longest hybrid back to longest iron.

as per Oddsocks' suggestion, I'm going to bob along to AG next week with my 4 and 5 hybrid and trying hitting some 3s alongside them to compare distance and accuracy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 19/20 is my 'go to' rescue gets used more than any of the others tee shots on short par 3s and second shot on par 5s quite often. I am more reliable with it than a fairway wood. My irons start at 6 iron.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I have a 3 and 4 hybrid.

3 is great off the tee and in certain situations on fairways/ in rough but I tend to stick with the 4 when in open play.

Im also no good with woods but the 3H is more than long enough for me off the tee as a driver alternative!

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get a 7 wood........thank me later(y)

Funny enough I prefer to use a wood over a hybrid. Tell me what's the 7 wood like out the rough? I'm only asking as I'm thinking of getting a 7 wood, only issue is finding one that isn't a senior or regular flex.

D

Deleted member 1147

If you struggle with longer irons, it's a no brainer...give up;)!

No, sorry...I meant, get the hybrids (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

Whatever works.

I carry 4 woods 3,5,7,9, it works fills the distance gaps, job done (got a 11 wood in the shed but dont carry).

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I still carry down to a 4 iron but do have a 19 hybrid as it is superb from the semi rough and for tricky wee shots from off the green.

If you like hybrids go for it.