Irons & Shafts.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think I better start at the begining. Sorry if its a bit long.

I've only come back to golf this year. After a 3 year lay off due to injury. 2 discs gone in my neck and a shoulder that popped out a few time (ouch). I have spent the last 9 months or so working on a swing that is repeatable within the confines of the above problems.(all done with a pro's giuldence).

My swing for the woods is a 3/4 swing thats as far as I can get. Most of the time with the irons I use a 1/2 swing. As it more comfatable to many 3/4 swings and my neck starts to kill me.

All my clubs were 15/20 years old. the shafts more soft regular than any thing else. Changed my woods to TM R9's with the Regular TP shaft in. I hit a very gentle fade with them almost straight.

Still have the softer shafts in the irons. Up until now they have been ok straight down the middle (when i aim ok). But I am starting to find a strong draw developing as the golf muscels get stronger.(the swing is ok had it checked).

Is it worth changing the irons now for a stiffer shaft. As it worked with the woods. The pro keeps saying not to. just play to the draw. This worries me abit. I can see his point. But what happens if I start to bugger the swing up. Just to compensate for the irons.

My head says change them sooner rather than later(after all they are really old), and not take the pro's advice on this one. Even though he has been spot on building my swing.

Really dont know what to do. So over to you guys for your views please.

Dave

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The only way to know for sure is to try a set of irons with a regular shaft in them and compare the dispersion.
It's the only way to convince yourself, rather than asking your pro or us.
Have you tried graphite shafts at all?
As they are lighter, that may help
Good luck with your search and hope you stay healthy

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bob for the quick reply. I have worked very hard on my swing. Did not go on a course for six months. Just practise practise and more practice. With the pro to groove the swing. I now can swing on the course with no swing thoughts. Just get the setup right. A waggle at the start just to remind me of the right take away thats it.
It was hard at times but worth it in the long run.

Have had a feel of some TM R9 irons with reg graphite shafts. They did feel very nice and on offer at £250 in lefthand.

Think I will go back and see if I can give them a good work out before I make my mind up. Dont want to buy some new irons and spend the next 3 month having to get use to them. Really want to be able to hit them from the off. Ok I will have to get use to how far they hit. But not how they hit.(if that makes sence).

Thanks again Bob for the quick reply. Sound advice as usual

Dave

Think I am just looking for people to convince me to do it LOL.