Irons/Rescue

jayc26

Visit site
Help please,

17 hcp here

I cannot hit my irons 7iron downwards. I currently have Taylor Made R7 draws. I have never been a good iron player and rely mostly on my driving and putting. I have a TM rescue 15 degree and use that for shots 140 and can hit that fine as aslo i can with my fairway 3 wood. but would love to be able to use all my irons. When i do try to use an iron i have a tendency to grip down the shaft as this feels the only way i will hit it straight but then i lose distance.

Are there any irons that are similar to rescue clubs or any easier taylor Made irons that are easier to hit as I think he R7 maybe the problem here??

Thanks

j

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tell us more mate. What is happening when you hit your irons?
Have you thought about going to see your pro and see if he can sort you out?
Have you got a camera so you can video yourself then post it on here for us to look at?
Seems a bit drastic wanting to drop the 7 iron downwards for rescue clubs. I can understand 3 & 4 iron maybe even a 5 iron, but not all the way to a 7.

jayc26

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Firstly when i hit my low irons I dont seem to be getting any power and the connection is poor as . I also have a knack of a little shank and when i try to correct it i pull it. I have notice i hardly take a divot as opposed to when i watch my playing partners they always take a divot and have great connection.

In reply to the question about the rescue 140 yd shots. I tend to grip down according to the distance so i can hit from between 140 -200. I am not the biggest hitter in general anyway.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played with a low handicapper at St Georges Hill once in a society day. I think he played off about 5. He only carried irons 7 iron and above, everything below that was a rescue/hybrid. He just couldn't get on with the lower irons at all. He wasn't old either, in his early 30's. If it's good enough for a 5 handicapper it's good enough for you!

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Take a 6 iron to the range and learn to use it so you can then buy lets say #3 & #5 iron replacement hybrids. I was crap with anything below a 7 until I went the range and hit 4,5 & 6 until I got it right now I love hitting them on the course.