Iron work

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
Hi as I’ve stated before I’m new to golf so just really go to the range and practice there for now. i was down last night working on my irons golf.jpg
My question is why am I hitting my 8 iron 190 yards? I thought 8 irons cover 140 for a long hitter? Sorry if this is a thick thing to ask
thanks

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Numbers suggest you haven't got a consistent strike so difficult to read anything into that, a visit to a pro might be a good starting point.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Don't read to much into those distances though. I'm convinced that TopTracer is VERY generous!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
141 carry and 49 yards of run after a 3 second hang time? Knifed the blazes out of that one then. I hope you play on a links course.

Oh, and 117 mph ball speed is pretty fast for a 9 iron. Maybe it mixed up your shot with one from an adjacent bay?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
141 carry and 49 yards of run after a 3 second hang time? Knifed the blazes out of that one then. I hope you play on a links course.

Oh, and 117 mph ball speed is pretty fast for a 9 iron. Maybe it mixed up your shot with one from an adjacent bay?
It’s not a 9 iron
Numbers not big enough for you?

Dan_Nicol

Visit site

It’s an 8 iron I don’t play on a course I’m just learning how to play and trying to hit the ball correctly. I have a swingyde grip aid abs alignment sticks to help

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm considered an above average but not a long hitter. Here's my 8 iron stats from Top Tracer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220513-213845_Toptracer~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-213845_Toptracer~2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 36

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't trust Toptracer numbers personally. I've been to a Toptracer range, it's good for a laugh but the numbers seem all over the place at times. I mean, 50 yards of roll, really? Did you actually see the ball roll for a long distance once it hit the ground?

Newtonuti

Visit site
Don't read to much into those distances though. I'm convinced that TopTracer is VERY generous!

Better then the trackman's I've tried in ranges. One kept telling me my carry was further then my total! That'd be fine with a wedge that could potentially spin, but not my flaming driver. :ROFLMAO:

Dan_Nicol

Visit site
I don't trust Toptracer numbers personally. I've been to a Toptracer range, it's good for a laugh but the numbers seem all over the place at times. I mean, 50 yards of roll, really? Did you actually see the ball roll for a long distance once it hit the ground?

No the reason I use the range and top tracer is it registered blind so one I’ve hit the ball I pretty much can’t see it.

When I do eventually go on a course I’ll be taking a ball spotter