Iron shots

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think its a confidence thing, you need to realise that they wont go as high as the shorter irons and concentrate on getting the ball away, distance will come later.

B

birdieman

Plenty of width in the takeaway is needed for good long iron play, you can get away with a much steeper path into the ball with short irons.
Don't hit too hard, smoothness and tempo is key for good long iron play.

CP1

Medal Winner
Visit site
Because 7, 8 and 9 are a lot easier to ht than 3, 4 and 5. What is your bad shot with 3 - 5?

I think they call it thinging it. It just seems I cant get very much height on it.It doesnt sound good off the face like the others either. Should I play the ball more towards the middle to squeze it out as i play it towards front of feet ??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because 7, 8 and 9 are a lot easier to ht than 3, 4 and 5. What is your bad shot with 3 - 5?

I think they call it thinging it. It just seems I cant get very much height on it.It doesnt sound good off the face like the others either. Should I play the ball more towards the middle to squeze it out as i play it towards front of feet ??

Thinning is where you catch the ball a bit too clean, high on the ball and it comes off low and runs.

There are a whole lot of reasons why people thin, and the best way to fix is to ask a pro to have a look.

Ball too far forward, hands behind at address (and impact), casting the club, lifting up during the swing are some of the many reasons but it is impossible to say without seeing your swing.