Iron distances...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks 'gents' for all your input, my clubs are of the older persuasion 'T-zoid pro II' but as I've already said I hit them really well and as I don't have a great deal of surplus cash they're likely to be in the bag for a good while, that and they were my 'grandads' so they have some sentimental attachment to boot...

My main concern was that I was hitting substantially shorter than the average player but it seems as though I'm not in the minority which puts my mind a bit more at ease...

Eventually I may find the money (and the heart) to replace them with something a little more modern, but for now I'm happy to leave things as they are...

Once again, thanks for all your input...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks 'gents' for all your input, my clubs are of the older persuasion 'T-zoid pro II' but as I've already said I hit them really well and as I don't have a great deal of surplus cash they're likely to be in the bag for a good while, that and they were my 'grandads' so they have some sentimental attachment to boot...

My main concern was that I was hitting substantially shorter than the average player but it seems as though I'm not in the minority which puts my mind a bit more at ease...

Eventually I may find the money (and the heart) to replace them with something a little more modern, but for now I'm happy to leave things as they are...

Oh, that explains it. If your clubs are that old, buying a more up-to-date set could probably gain you 10 yards right off the bat if you were worried. As others have said though, your distances compared to other golfers are irrelevant, all the matters is that you know your own distance with each club so you know what club to select for your shots.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh, that explains it. If your clubs are that old, buying a more up-to-date set could probably gain you 10 yards right off the bat if you were worried. As others have said though, your distances compared to other golfers are irrelevant, all the matters is that you know your own distance with each club so you know what club to select for your shots.

Why would he gain that distance off the bat with new clubs?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
loft specs

- the old t-zoid pro's are 'old money' loft specs with the 7i at 35º

if bought newer set of even say medium game improvement irons the loft specs through the set would be a good ways stronger

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A good 7 iron for me carries around 130-135

i generally find I hit 2 clubs more than most of my regular playing partners.

the numbers on the bottom of your clubs don't earn you points though, they're irrelevant.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In amongst my bag of unused clubs are loads of 6 irons of varying ages (some nearly 30yrs old) the lofts vary by as much as 10 degrees and the shaft lengths by 2".

In amongst the all the balls I have lying around some will back spin, some will drop and stop some will land and roll.

There is just so much that goes in to how far a club will hit a ball.

My 7 iron distance these days is around 135-140 with a high spin golf ball, (drop and stop). 6-9 handicap

My 7 iron distance around 40 years ago was 180 yards with back spin. 20+ handicap

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So what would be a good distance ball, at the moment I'm using Srixon 'soft feel' and 'ad333' for the most although I do tend to just grab the first ball that comes to hand...

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a modern 7i is the same loft as his mizuno 5i
and probably has a lighter faster shaft too.

So in reality he may not be gaining any improved distance loft for loft only on he number on the bottom. That's what I meant by the question. In my mind improved distance is from like foe like loft numbers

G

guest100718

So in reality he may not be gaining any improved distance loft for loft only on he number on the bottom. That's what I meant by the question. In my mind improved distance is from like foe like loft numbers

Pretty much.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So what would be a good distance ball, at the moment I'm using Srixon 'soft feel' and 'ad333' for the most although I do tend to just grab the first ball that comes to hand...

Those are the balls I use, slight preference for Soft Feel. Good quality balls and a decent compromise between distance and feel.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are all sorts of things that need considering here, quality of strike, dynamic loft and also what carry you are getting and how much roll out when comparing your self to others.

All that said, when comparing you should take care not to be overly critical of your game. If you are hitting 2 clubs more but are straight and accurate that's got to be better than your mates who are 2 clubs lower than you and spraying it all over the place - right?

If you really want to catch them up work of strike and the loft delivered at impact - you might not get the same distance if you add loft with your swing. You'll then get more height, probably more spin and therefore less carry and less roll out - but you'll be able to hold greens better to - so it's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There are all sorts of things that need considering here, quality of strike, dynamic loft and also what carry you are getting and how much roll out when comparing your self to others.

All that said, when comparing you should take care not to be overly critical of your game. If you are hitting 2 clubs more but are straight and accurate that's got to be better than your mates who are 2 clubs lower than you and spraying it all over the place - right?

If you really want to catch them up work of strike and the loft delivered at impact - you might not get the same distance if you add loft with your swing. You'll then get more height, probably more spin and therefore less carry and less roll out - but you'll be able to hold greens better to - so it's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

Crickey, you been stalking me mate, you've just described my iron shots to a 'T' if you'll excuse the pun, you sound like a man talking from experience...

I get loads'a height, hit'm straight as an arrow, they're not drastically effected by the wind (apart from head on) and I'm reasonably good at stopping the ball on the greens as my ball doesn't roll out very much...

So can I take it from that that the height and the backspin (which I didn't realise I was achieving) is the reason why my ball all but pitches to a dead stop whereas most of my mates who when pitching on the greens usually end up 'out the back and in the crap' as I say...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You would probably find these clubs have about 4 degrees less loft than a new club, hence the difference between you and your mates.

The thing to watch out for with clubs that old is that there is not the normal distance gap between clubs as these are forged clubs which can change loft and the age of the shafts may mean a slight difference in flex between the shafts on each club.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I swing at 85mph and expect to carry my 7 iron about 155 yards

2017_LPGATourAVGs-TrackMan.jpg

Something to compare yourself too

Last edited:

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Crickey, you been stalking me mate, you've just described my iron shots to a 'T' if you'll excuse the pun, you sound like a man talking from experience...

I get loads'a height, hit'm straight as an arrow, they're not drastically effected by the wind (apart from head on) and I'm reasonably good at stopping the ball on the greens as my ball doesn't roll out very much...

So can I take it from that that the height and the backspin (which I didn't realise I was achieving) is the reason why my ball all but pitches to a dead stop whereas most of my mates who when pitching on the greens usually end up 'out the back and in the crap' as I say...

Sounds like we have very similar games then, I've never struggled with launch and height but do struggle with distance and the ball balloons up when playing directly into the wind. As such I think I'm adding loft with my swing and creating spin - both of which sacrifice distance.

I've been working with a pro to reverse both of these things and have added 20 yards if you believe the launch monitors to my 6i - gone from full distance of around 140 to 160. Seeing about a 145yard carry (with variable roll out) on the course in the main though as launch simulators are perfect conditions.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sounds like we have very similar games then, I've never struggled with launch and height but do struggle with distance and the ball balloons up when playing directly into the wind. As such I think I'm adding loft with my swing and creating spin - both of which sacrifice distance.

I've been working with a pro to reverse both of these things and have added 20 yards if you believe the launch monitors to my 6i - gone from full distance of around 140 to 160. Seeing about a 145yard carry (with variable roll out) on the course in the main though as launch simulators are perfect conditions.

Yes we do seem to have a similar issue with our swings but judging by the rest of the comments at least it seems we're not in the minority 'thank god for small mercies' I think my issues can be ironed out (if you'll excuse the pun) with a change of irons as I think trying to change my swing will be a major task due to certain flexibility issues and I'm more than comfortable with how my swing is...

I've done the groin strain, tweeked back, tennis elbow thing on my journey to get to where I am now and it's not something I'm prepared to have another 'crack of the whip' at so as it stands I'll stick with what I've got for now and maybe try some 'demo' irons here and there to see if anything stands out as a possible replacement for my current irons...

I do actually own a set of 'Speedblades' which I aquired rather cheap but they're 'reg shaft' and '2*-flat' which is not the ideal for me as I tend to put them consistently right of target with quite a high percentage of slices and shanks into the bargain 'but' I do hit'em a country mile "when" I actually manage to hit'em square...