Irish Forum Meet 2017......Ballyliffin

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So what is the best way to get there, its right up north right?
Is there a proper airport at Derry, who flies there?

Any other flight options?

or is it a ferry to Dublin or Belfast then a long drive?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
So what is the best way to get there, its right up north right?
Is there a proper airport at Derry, who flies there?

Any other flight options?

or is it a ferry to Dublin or Belfast then a long drive?

There is a few flights from Stanstead and liverpool I think but they are far and few between. Belfast to Ballyliffin is around 2 hours with no traffic problems (only really slow down is Dungiven). If you remember Cavan Phil, its similar distance from Belfast but maybe more free flowing roads to Ballyliffin. (Dublin to Cavan would have been a little faster if you sailed via there, cant remember how you got over now!)

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I did Holyhead-Dublin
It was an easy ride to Monaghan , so it's about the same drive again to Ballyliffin?
Certainly doable :)

Sailing to Belfast is a blooming long haul by the looks of it

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I did Holyhead-Dublin
It was an easy ride to Monaghan , so it's about the same drive again to Ballyliffin?

When I looked into it a few years back sailing to Dublin and driving up was the best option when taking my own gear, also flying to Dublin where you can hire clubs from the airport and a hire car was cheaper also and quicker than anything else I looked at regarding the 2 Belfast airports options.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did Holyhead-Dublin

The belfast liverpool sailing is fine in my opinion as you arrive having had a nights sleep. Id be back and across by plane monthly at least and take the ferry a couple of times a year to go to Evesham with tools and kit. It really doesnt bother me.
If you come via Dublin then its the best part of 4 hours up from hitting dry land.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much as Brendy says.

There is an airport in Derry which I believe has flights from Stanstead, Liverpool & Glasgow although loads of flights into both Belfast International & Belfast City airports from pretty much anywhere in Scotland/England.

Belfast airports to Ballyliffin by car between 2 and 2.5 hours obviously the same from Belfast and Larne ports. Dublin is around a 4 hour drive but you could stop on way up for a game somewhere like Concra Wood which would break up the drive with a game of golf at another great golf course although not links.

Looks like the original dates of 12/13 August are the preferred ones so far so I will start looking into accommodation and see what's available.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right we are going to go with the weekend of 12th & 13th Of August as it seems to be more suitable for most people who have expressed an interest so far.

I don't know what else is on that weekend but there are no hotel rooms available in Ballyliffin that weekend but I have booked 2 twin rooms and 2 single rooms in the Malin Hotel which is only a 5 minute drive away from the golf club and will keep an eye on the hotels in Ballyliffin to see if anything becomes available there closer to the time.

So that's 6 beds available at the minute but there are plenty other options for accommodation within a 5 minute drive if we should need more.

Prices are:

Twin rooms €100 per person for the two nights of 11th & 12th
Single rooms €120 per person for the two nights of 11th & 12th

Obviously if anyone wants to book something themselves then work away but I wouldn't leave it too long and would like to get a confirmed number as soon as possible so can get a price for the golf sorted.

Definitely going so far are

smange
Brendy
palindromicbob

so come on guys lets get this up and running properly and get some more names confirmed and then we can look at organising another game or two as well somewhere within reasonable driving distance.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My best mate is getting married in ballyliffen that that weekend at the fancy big hotel which ever one that is. doing best man so won't be able to make it unfortunately.

Just checked the dates. Might be able to make the Sunday game depending on how lit I am on the Saturday. :mmm:

Last edited:

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
what course were you planning on organizing games at?

Both Ballyliffin courses.

im guessing Patrick means what other courses are we planning on playing😏

Nothing organised for sure but can look at places like Co Donegal, Narin & Portnoo, Rosapenna, Portsalon all in Donegal and an hour or less away or Castlerock, Portrush Valley in the north and less than an hour away also.

Once know numbers can look at getting something booked elsewhere.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a def, and more than likely +1. Will confirm ASAP.

Brilliant Hendo, let me know when you can👍🏻

My best mate is getting married in ballyliffen that that weekend at the fancy big hotel which ever one that is. doing best man so won't be able to make it unfortunately.

Just checked the dates. Might be able to make the Sunday game depending on how lit I am on the Saturday. :mmm:

That'll be The Ballyliffin Lodge then Gary and I can assure you the Sunday game won't be booked for too early as some of these other characters have drink problems 😏

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interested depending on dates!

We will be playing Ballyliffin on the 12th & 13th of August and will also have at least one more game on Friday 11th and maybe on the Monday 14th.

Hotel rooms are booked for the Friday and Saturday nights and if staying longer can book the extra day or two.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
im guessing Patrick means what other courses are we planning on playing

Nothing organised for sure but can look at places like Co Donegal, Narin & Portnoo, Rosapenna, Portsalon all in Donegal and an hour or less away or Castlerock, Portrush Valley in the north and less than an hour away also.

Once know numbers can look at getting something booked elsewhere.

Patrick i can vouch for most of the courses Smange has mentioned as i I've played them all bar Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo is in my top 5 courses so many signature holes, also you could try Rosses Point at Sligo a cracking test of golf.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Patrick i can vouch for most of the courses Smange has mentioned as i I've played them all bar Portsalon, Narin & Portnoo is in my top 5 courses so many signature holes, also you could try Rosses Point at Sligo a cracking test of golf.

Rosses Point just a bit too far I would say Steve plus I just don't get the fuss about it? Have played it twice and both times came away seriously underwhelmed with it, very flat and open for the most part and a lot of very average holes, granted there are a couple of great holes but it just doesn't do it for me.

Me and Bob are looking at playing Rosapenna on the Monday as it the start of their open week that weekend and there is an open on The Sandy Hills Course up there on the Monday so anyone else who looking for an extra game is welcome to join us up there to add an extra day on.