Interlocking grip for 20cm handspan

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had a look at the vardon grip which i have used since i started playing some years back, never really happy about my right hand and its tendency to slip round more clockwise which isnt good

Although my recent hook was down to the poor extension the grip needs work

I am looking at changing to the Interlocking grip and have read many reports about its better for smaller hands etc

I am aware that Tiger uses it but here is an interesting fact

My handspan is only 20cm, and this is defined as small for a adult male ( middle aged )

So this may point to why the interlock is better for me as the handspan would suggest as more suitable

When using the Vardon grip my pinky on the right hand felt as if it couldnt sit in the correct place hence the turning clockwise of the right hand.

Anybody else changed or thought about changing to the interlock grip especially if you find your handspan is less than you thought !

I had never known what was classed as small , medium or large hands, note glove size isnt a true guide you must place hand flat palm down thumb and little finger stretched out and measure

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have small hands (21cm handspan using the method you describe) and have always used the interlocking grip. To me it feels far more secure than the Vardon and does seem to allow the hands to work a bit more together.

D

Deleted member 3432

I have small hands and use a baseball grip, used it as a junior learning the game and never changed it. Pro's have never tried to change this grip over the years whenever I have had lesson's, maybe pass a comment at the time that my grip is a fraction weak/strong but otherwise left well alone. As long as your are griping the club correctly use whichever grip feels 'right for you' is my advice.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Like Mashie, I have a 21cm hand span and use the interlocking grip.

Tried the Vardon grip when I fisrt started and it just didn't feel comfortable at all.

I have a grip that works for me and have no plans on experementation of change.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
20cm and use interlocking. Mainly because I can't use Vardon due to hand injury years ago. But I feel that the IL grip feels more secure than when I used to use the Vardon.

I think grip is each to their own as long as it works for you and isn't causing a detriment to your game.

T

thecraw

Tiny hands, which make my Willy look bigger but still use baseball grip!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tried tonight the interlocking grip and i ended up slicing every shot !!

So i guess i am keeping the clubface open with the grip change ?

Work in progress

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Same size hands as me. I use vardon to very good affect. Interlocking was how i was taught but stopped using it about 2 years ago. Would never go back now.

Do you find it hard keeping the right hand pinky from moving towards the left hand back knuckle resulting in right hand turning more anti clockwise ?