Interesting Driver Fitting Today

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went for my annual driver fitting to try out all the new goodies. Mainly to see if the new hardware is worth investing in over my current G30 Tour.

Lately I've been hitting the driver great, not long, but straight. But true to form the round right before the fitting my swing goes to pot. Yesterday I was loosing everything high right, and it continued during the fitting.

Every driver I tried. Big high right slice. Which wasn't helped by the left-right wind on the range either. I was getting really frustrated as I'd been looking forward to this for a month.

The fitter stopped the fitting and we had a bit of a chat about the trackman numbers and what was going on as I was really struggling to release the club, I was just holding the face open. Which isn't usually a problem for me.

He said it looked like I was trying to hit the ball to perfect and was trying to steer it so wasn't really getting through it, and the wind was just exaggerating the results. He basically said I hit my irons pretty hard, but hold back on the driver to try to get some control. Which was working with the G30 ok.

He then got me to try and hit the ball has hard as I could for a couple of shots, end then just ramp it back a little.

Net result I was absolutely launching them. Swing speed was up at least of 10 mph, smash factor went from 1.42 to 1.51 and everything was flying pretty straight.

Ended up getting walking out with a TM M1 and I'm probably carrying it 30-40 yards further than my G30, a lot of which is due to swing speed increase.

I went out for 9 holes after the fitting and was just beaming the thing miles.

So gone from huge frustration to absolute delight. Lets see how long it lasts :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a shot with an M1 on saturday, the odd good one was very good, but the bad ones still as bad.

keep the plastic on the club head, they always misbehave once that comes off:)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Went for my annual driver fitting to try out all the new goodies. Mainly to see if the new hardware is worth investing in over my current G30 Tour.

Lately I've been hitting the driver great, not long, but straight. But true to form the round right before the fitting my swing goes to pot. Yesterday I was loosing everything high right, and it continued during the fitting.

Every driver I tried. Big high right slice. Which wasn't helped by the left-right wind on the range either. I was getting really frustrated as I'd been looking forward to this for a month.

The fitter stopped the fitting and we had a bit of a chat about the trackman numbers and what was going on as I was really struggling to release the club, I was just holding the face open. Which isn't usually a problem for me.

He said it looked like I was trying to hit the ball to perfect and was trying to steer it so wasn't really getting through it, and the wind was just exaggerating the results. He basically said I hit my irons pretty hard, but hold back on the driver to try to get some control. Which was working with the G30 ok.

He then got me to try and hit the ball has hard as I could for a couple of shots, end then just ramp it back a little.

Net result I was absolutely launching them. Swing speed was up at least of 10 mph, smash factor went from 1.42 to 1.51 and everything was flying pretty straight.

Ended up getting walking out with a TM M1 and I'm probably carrying it 30-40 yards further than my G30, a lot of which is due to swing speed increase.

I went out for 9 holes after the fitting and was just beaming the thing miles.

So gone from huge frustration to absolute delight. Lets see how long it lasts :)

Might be a silly question but why could you not get that swing speed increase in the G30? Was is a mental thing or was it down to some physical characteristics/tech that the M1 has that the G30 doesn't?

Fair play if you got those distances as the launch monitor does not lie and at the end of the day it's where the ball lands that counts, but 40 yards does seems a lot of distance increase on one of the best and most forgiving drivers on the market last year.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might be a silly question but why could you not get that swing speed increase in the G30? Was is a mental thing or was it down to some physical characteristics/tech that the M1 has that the G30 doesn't?

Fair play if you got those distances as the launch monitor does not lie and at the end of the day it's where the ball lands that counts, but 40 yards does seems a lot of distance increase on one of the best and most forgiving drivers on the market last year.

Nah, it's a fair question.

Not sure why but when I tried to swing harder with the G30 I'd loose every other one left.

Club definitely hasn't fixed my swing it just seems to suit my swing, when swinging it harder.

I had deliberately dropped my swing speed with the driver to gain control, and the G30 worked great when I slowed my swing down. I knew it was costing me a lot of distance. Which I was happy with to find more fairways.

I've done a lot of work on my overall swing during the winter and in general my swing is much better than it was, but I was having to use a different swing speed\tempo with my driver.

I now feel I can put the kind of swing on my driver I do with my other clubs.

Who know's it might not last, I've been here before with other drivers, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What shaft did you get?!? I got fitted for the adila rogue 70g but have swapped it for a tour ad and am hitting it loads better.... I got the 5 wood as well and it's a cracker !

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
What shaft did you get?!? I got fitted for the adila rogue 70g but have swapped it for a tour ad and am hitting it loads better.... I got the 5 wood as well and it's a cracker !

Where did you get your fitting? Seems weird that you get fitted for one shaft but end up hitting it much better with another shaft. After all, finding the shaft that works best is one of the main objectives of fitting once you've decided on a club head...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Odd but I had a lesson last year and he said the same, because my swing had gone to pot I was trying to guide it down the fairway, yet still leaving an open face. He said smash it and it went straighter and further.
Ironically it wasn't until I changed from the SLDR to the Ping G30 that my drive "came alive".
Furthermore, it was not until I had a "Eureka " moment which involved cocking the club, that I really started hitting further drives.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where did you get your fitting? Seems weird that you get fitted for one shaft but end up hitting it much better with another shaft. After all, finding the shaft that works best is one of the main objectives of fitting once you've decided on a club head...

At my club. I like the shaft I was fitted for and it gave great numbers. I just took a punt on a none stock shaft off eBay and it's great....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Similar but different but same

Still in the honeymoon period with my new Cobra driver & its still getting around 20 yards more and far more accurate but I believe much is down to just being more confident to swing it a bit harder (I was definitely holding back with the previous dog in order to hit the fairway more often)

The added confidence comes from a couple of things, the first is that I have it set to draw and the second and far bigger thing is that the manufactures claim about levels of forgiveness on off center hits seems bang on and a huge leap in development from the retired 6yr old Callaway. This second aspect is the real difference in my results and a mega confidence booster

I'd love to look at the club face at the end of a round and see the impact marks more tightly grouped but knowing I can hit this thing and as long as its near'ish then the balls still going to be in play with marginal loss in distance or dispersion

End result, in the four rounds I've used it on I'm consistently hitting further and better lines with distance PB's cropping up regularly

Best xmas pressie ever :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Slab - which model did you go for?

The Fly-Z (not +)
They were getting sold off in Dec by one retailer for half price and I couldn't resist, but had to buy it untried

I'd say I'm fairly objective when it comes to marketing spiel but this things got a sweet spot the size of my mattress (Ok I know the sweet spot by definition cant actually be any bigger cos its still just a spot but you get what I mean)

Cobra put the forgiveness levels down to what they call a speed channel round the rim of the clubface (its like a miniature moat) and it would appear its a real innovation in design

The 2016 F6's have it too but seriously try a 2015 FlyZ before its just the 2nd hand stuff that's available

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Nah, it's a fair question.

Not sure why but when I tried to swing harder with the G30 I'd loose every other one left.

Club definitely hasn't fixed my swing it just seems to suit my swing, when swinging it harder.

I had deliberately dropped my swing speed with the driver to gain control, and the G30 worked great when I slowed my swing down. I knew it was costing me a lot of distance. Which I was happy with to find more fairways.

I've done a lot of work on my overall swing during the winter and in general my swing is much better than it was, but I was having to use a different swing speed\tempo with my driver.

I now feel I can put the kind of swing on my driver I do with my other clubs.

Who know's it might not last, I've been here before with other drivers, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Fair play. At the end of the day everyone's a winner, you get a new club that works and the retailer has made a sale. And as you say, you can't take it with you.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Fly-Z (not +)
They were getting sold off in Dec by one retailer for half price and I couldn't resist, but had to buy it untried

I'd say I'm fairly objective when it comes to marketing spiel but this things got a sweet spot the size of my mattress (Ok I know the sweet spot by definition cant actually be any bigger cos its still just a spot but you get what I mean)

Cobra put the forgiveness levels down to what they call a speed channel round the rim of the clubface (its like a miniature moat) and it would appear its a real innovation in design

The 2016 F6's have it too but seriously try a 2015 FlyZ before its just the 2nd hand stuff that's available

I tried the F6 yesterday. Nice looking club and was getting decent numbers out of it. Really good smash factor.

The only issue I had with it was the way it felt off the face. The ball seemed to come off dead, almost felt like a miss-hit, but was still flying out there fine.

Also tried the G Driver as well. Which was the club I thought I'd end up with after the G30. It felt like a really solid strike but I just kept loosing it right no matter what shaft\setup we tried. Which is weird as I hit my m8's Ping G driver on Sunday a couple of times and hit them pretty long and straight compared to my G30 tour. Probably 15 yards further, but it's hard to tell for sure with the roll in soft conditions.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a go with the M1 in a fitting (coming from a G30 LS Tec Tour so similar). The thing just launches. I found I could really belt it and swing as fast as I could with it. Really liked the club but decided to try the same swing with the G30 on the course. Truns out I could do that with the Ping too!

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a go with the M1 in a fitting (coming from a G30 LS Tec Tour so similar). The thing just launches. I found I could really belt it and swing as fast as I could with it. Really liked the club but decided to try the same swing with the G30 on the course. Truns out I could do that with the Ping too!

That's a result.

Gota say the G30 has been a great driver for me. It's helped stabilise my driving hell of a lot, and if anything given me confidence I can actually hit driver again.

For a long time I was literally scared to pull driver because I had no idea where it would end up and the swing I put on the driver felt completely different to any other swing. All in the head though, amazing how we can get in our own way so much with this game.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What did you driver speed go up from and what was the new speed?

You must be the only person in the world who doesn't swing harder on a monitor than on the course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I tried the F6 yesterday. Nice looking club and was getting decent numbers out of it. Really good smash factor.

The only issue I had with it was the way it felt off the face. The ball seemed to come off dead, almost felt like a miss-hit, but was still flying out there fine.

Also tried the G Driver as well. Which was the club I thought I'd end up with after the G30. It felt like a really solid strike but I just kept loosing it right no matter what shaft\setup we tried. Which is weird as I hit my m8's Ping G driver on Sunday a couple of times and hit them pretty long and straight compared to my G30 tour. Probably 15 yards further, but it's hard to tell for sure with the roll in soft conditions.

I wonder if that's also a characteristic of the speed channel rim

Using schoolboy logic, the channel must have some effect on the physical connection of the face to the rest of the clubhead so even if its not detrimental the 'feel' might at least be different in part to what players are used to