Intelligolf

44ark

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys

Just downloaded this and looks pretty good has anyone here used it and how good is it especially the gps side as i dont want to shell out £35 if its rubbish.

Thanks

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Hi.
I used to use Intelligolf non GPS version. It's okay for record keeping of stats on the pc, but not as good as Scoresaver 2. It's a pain to do all the stats recording on the golf course, and that's if you can read the screen in sunlight, and as for using your phone/ pda in the rain??

Personally I've gone for Scoresaver 2 for the stats recording, and am looking at Caddyaid for the GPS / mapping side of things for when I get my new mobile with integrated GPS. Reason being that Caddyaid gives you real life (Google Earth) images of the hole, and you can specify lay up distances as well as all the usual stuff.

This is of course my h'pennys worth, and I'm sure that you'll get a variety of views on this one as GPS has so far this year been the subject of many posts.

44ark

Hacker
Visit site
caddy aid looks good but at £100 for the software think its a bit to steep also the courses that i play on arent on there typical ehh

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
hapless, google earth images aren't current despite the 2008 date stamp. last years (and older) course changes do not show up for my course. when, if ever, the maps are updated won't you be shelling out for upgrades?

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Quite possibly, probably more than likely. But isn't that true for all, if not most, of the GPS golf systems!
I'm sure that the data used by all of the different GPS's is dated to some extent or other, and will require updating.
Most GPS software houses have a request update feature on their websites. I guess that this is the only way they know that alterations are required.

The non pictorial GPS systems (Skycaddie etc.)have to get their distance info from somewhere. Where do you think they get it from, strokesaver books from pro shops or Google Earth type images?? I wouldn't mind guessing that it'll be a bit of both, but mainly Google Earth perhaps.

If your course is not currently listed (with any of the GPS suppliers)then it can often be requested through their website.

I just went on what I like the look of, and the functionality of the software. I already have 3 GPSs, and really don't want the expense of buying yet another bit of hardware. At least with the GPS phone, I can use it for road navigation, golf and boating.

Regarding Google Earths dating, I have to admit that my brand new house wasn't on Google Earth for 3 years, happily it is now.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys
Just downloaded this and looks pretty good has anyone here used it and how good is it especially the gps side as i dont want to shell out £35 if its rubbish.
Thanks
I have it and never use it now! Opted for Mobile Golf Scorer instead. Main reason is that it is a real pain to manually enter all the coordinates (Tee, bunkers, start/end of green etc) unless you are fortunate and your course is already done. MGS, on the other hand, auto-downloads images from Google and even if your course has altered, manual changes are easily acheived.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say Strokesaver2 is simply the best way of recording your stats and by far and away the easiest. Just print off the card for the course and when you are marking your proper scorecard just tick or circle the box to show whether you hit the fairway or missed it left or right, hit the green in regulation (or where you missed it), any sand saves, number of putts and whether you had to take any penalty shots. Literally 30 seconds per hole and less than 5 minutes to add into scoresaver.

On the subject of GPS it is my understanding that skycaddy mark the course on the ground so to speak by physically going onto the course itself and doing it manually (well with measuring gear but you get my drift). This is one of the things that I think sets SC above the rest in that you know it is up to date and not reliant on something that may be several years old.

The other thing that anyone interested in buying a yardage device of whatever make or brand is that SC also has the largest library of mapped courses in the UK. I was looking at the caddyaid (the £100 offered was a tempting price) but realised Royal Ascot wasn't mapped and wasn't going to be done for at least another 6 months. Just something worth bearing in mind