Inaugural Women's Amateur at Augusta. Brilliant

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I have just enjoyed the above on Sky tv, where the final round of it was played at Augusta. The last pair of girls were miles ahead of the others, so it was like match play really.
But what a last six holes by the winner Jennifer. Five birdies or eagle!
As good golf strokes as I have ever seen played there. The girl Jennifer is the female Ernie Els. Her swing is so easy and looks slow and full- wonderful.
There were massive crowds, and the whole event was clearly a success.
Anyone else see it?

AdamC28

Visit site
Managed to catch about an hour earlier and enjoyed it too.
Crowd seemed a real family affair with lots of kids. Great for inspiring the younger generation.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like womens golf, but found the pace of play slow and the commentary absolutely awful.
I also think it is disgraceful to put this event on the same time as the first Womens major.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I like womens golf, but found the pace of play slow and the commentary absolutely awful.
I also think it is disgraceful to put this event on the same time as the first Womens major.

What! Would you like to explain that last sentence, because it puzzles me where you are coming from.
Are you inferring there is a clash of some kind? If so, what is it and who does it adversely affect?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Have to say I enjoyed it and it ran very smoothly alongside the Major in my opinion.

The standard of golf was excellent and it gave the young females an amazing experience during their college downtime. Surprised you see that as a negative?

Spring semester and getting to play Augusta. Stuff of dreams for these girls. Would you suggest that the College's change their holidays or the LPGA change the date of the tournament?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What! Would you like to explain that last sentence, because it puzzles me where you are coming from.
Are you inferring there is a clash of some kind? If so, what is it and who does it adversely affect?

I can see where he's coming from.
There's little enough Women's golf on the box as it is and to dilute the potential audience between 2 pretty high profile events is, perhaps, a little short-sighted.
It's also a shame we can't see the likes of Lexi, Georgia and the rest doing battle around Augusta

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There definitely is an element of the First Ladies major being overshadowed by this and the mixed event.

Perhaps it’s worth it to have a big focus on ladies golf for the full week, but does feel like they both could have been the week before maybe or the week after the Masters.

Still looked a great finish and success all round for those two tournaments.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
They are in different time zones, are they not. ?
Sky showed both events, as no doubt did USA tv- so there was no clash experienced by a tv audience

Everyone could enjoy both, unless you are suggesting that the deprived are those that wanted to see both by actually being there as spectators😳
A big part of the Amateur event was the chance to play at Augusta. For this chance the event had to fall in with Augusta's timetable, which with all preparations for the Masters etc, would obviously be around the time it was.
Again, I see no clash in any respect

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not everyone has enough time to watch both.
Plus there was the event in Jordan - another big deal for Women's golf.
So 3 significant events in Women's golf, all in different time zones on the same days
I'd suggest the majority wouldn't have watched, or been able to watch, all 3, or even 2 of them.
That has to dilute the ratings.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were on, even though I wasn't able to see any of it.
And the ANWA needed to be on when it was but if they'd staggered the others around it they may well have got even more people watching.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Enjoyed watching, but how many of the spectators were only there because of the course, and the almost impossibility of getting to see it during Masters week.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are in different time zones, are they not. ?
Sky showed both events, as no doubt did USA tv- so there was no clash experienced by a tv audience

Everyone could enjoy both, unless you are suggesting that the deprived are those that wanted to see both by actually being there as spectators😳
A big part of the Amateur event was the chance to play at Augusta. For this chance the event had to fall in with Augusta's timetable, which with all preparations for the Masters etc, would obviously be around the time it was.
Again, I see no clash in any respect

The clash is that the ANA invite a few of the top amatures to play in their event. Have this along side it made it a difficult decision for some. A chance at history or a chance to see how your game matches up against the pros.

Didn't see any of the coverage but followed along on twitter most of the day. Think the event over all is good for the woman's game, as other have said would like to see the pros play there one day.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I can see where he's coming from.
There's little enough Women's golf on the box as it is and to dilute the potential audience between 2 pretty high profile events is, perhaps, a little short-sighted.
It's also a shame we can't see the likes of Lexi, Georgia and the rest doing battle around Augusta

You very rarely see woman's amateur golf so surely having it on is a plus?

As I said previously what do you propose changes, the spring semester or the date of an LPGA major?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched it and thought it was brilliant.
Jennifer Kupcho's -5 over the last six holes was stunning and her 2nd shot on 13 was just astonishing.
What commitment and confidence from a youngster in those circumstances!
The best bit for me, however, was their undoubtedly genuine embrace on the 18th green ..................... wonderful, just wonderful.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really enjoyed the watch last night. Kupcho and Fassi put on a show. Fantastic effort from Kupcho to overcome the migraine to pull off the win, thought Fassi had it won until the eagle from Kupcho on 13. Stunning golf and made me even more excited for next week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some big crowds at Augusta too to watch the proceedings. I am guessing it was easier to get a ticket and entry and a chance for many to walk around the place especially a week before the main event

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not everyone has enough time to watch both.
Plus there was the event in Jordan - another big deal for Women's golf.
So 3 significant events in Women's golf, all in different time zones on the same days
I'd suggest the majority wouldn't have watched, or been able to watch, all 3, or even 2 of them.
That has to dilute the ratings.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were on, even though I wasn't able to see any of it.
And the ANWA needed to be on when it was but if they'd staggered the others around it they may well have got even more people watching.
Exactly.
Womens golf is a small market, and the real chance to grab new viewers/participants would have been to have them all on consecutive weeks so you maximise the number who can watch either in person or on the box. To put them all on at the same time is short sighted, and not looking at the bigger picture.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Exactly.
Womens golf is a small market, and the real chance to grab new viewers/participants would have been to have them all on consecutive weeks so you maximise the number who can watch either in person or on the box. To put them all on at the same time is short sighted, and not looking at the bigger picture.

You don't seem to have grasped the relevance of Augusta being the venue for the final round. That being accepted , it being an exciting once in a lifetime opportunity for the amateur girls to play such a course, it should be realised that the place is opened up once a year to TV and spectators etc (for the Masters) so that was the only time to hold the girls' event!
Other than this time of the year, it is an extremely exclusive golf course.
So, as someone else has asked, which are you going to move?
As it happens most don't see a need to move either, but you, seeing it as an "absolute disgrace", do.
Honestly, such a joyful experience for these young ladies is available and there's always someone who has to be offended by it. A sign of the times that someone somewhere has to be offended so readily.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You don't seem to have grasped the relevance of Augusta being the venue for the final round. That being accepted , it being an exciting once in a lifetime opportunity for the amateur girls to play such a course, it should be realised that the place is opened up once a year to TV and spectators etc (for the Masters) so that was the only time to hold the girls' event!
Other than this time of the year, it is an extremely exclusive golf course.
So, as someone else has asked, which are you going to move?
As it happens most don't see a need to move either, but you, seeing it as an "absolute disgrace", do.
Honestly, such a joyful experience for these young ladies is available and there's always someone who has to be offended by it. A sign of the times that someone somewhere has to be offended so readily.
Oh I have grasped the relevance.
However to give the young amateurs and female spectators a glimpse of an exclusive club and event and then have to tell them that they can't follow it on and now watch the female pro's in action because it was on at the same time sort of pee's on their fire of golf inspiration.
Young girls wont grow interest in golf if they aren't given a series of events and lady golfers (of all ages) to watch, follow and support.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

There actualy was a clash for a few amateur players who qualified for both the Augusta event and the ANA Inspiration. Both were pretty much once in a lifetime opportunites for them and the fact that they had to choose one or the other really sucked.

Also, media-attention wise it probably would have been nicer to draw the events out over different weeks. But I get that it was difficult to schedule. Augusta want the event to be part of the whole Masters excitement and the ANA Inspiration is also a fixum in the calendar which is unlikely to change.