In to out swing path - how much is too much ?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I swing in to out, always have. I am pretty happy with my ball strike. Nice little draw most of the time, the bad ones can be a block or a bit hooky. Is there an optimum number where the amount of I to O, becomes more of an issue ?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The blocks and hooks come from the position of the clubface (relative to the path). Provided your path remains constant all you need to do is worry about the clubface.

Is there an optimum? I would say not really. In to out path can result in getting the club 'stuck' behind you causing blocks (and hooks if you try to roll the clubface shut)... but there's nothing wrong with hitting a draw.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I swing in to out, always have. I am pretty happy with my ball strike. Nice little draw most of the time, the bad ones can be a block or a bit hooky. Is there an optimum number where the amount of I to O, becomes more of an issue ?

Sounds similar to the issues I'm having.

Main difference is I'm coming from being a pull/pull fader.

Took a lot of time to change that path from where it was to there it is now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last year I got to the point where I was just getting too much shape especially on the bad ones which became the destructive hook. My path was anywhere between 7 to 12 degrees in to out, which was clearly too much.

Went through a reroute process, the pro I saw set my target at being between 0 and 2 degrees in to out and I did get there but since damaging my knee last year I regressed again. Expect it will need working on when I get back to playing.

Based on what Ive seen more than 5 degrees starts to become too hard to control consistently and I will be looking to keep mine below that

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it kinda depends OP (ball starting direction, curvature in flight, down to strike location on the face and the relationship between the face angle and the swing direction of the clubhead (swing path) at strike)

but if an in to out path tends to get more to the extreme, so say as a guide starting to get upwards of 6º+, towards around 10º
then the face angle closure rate is going to have to get quicker in a shorter distance as the clubhead nears the ball which is a deal harder to achieve consistently so a player becomes more reliant on timing and hand/arm action

plus if 'too much' from the inside the more shallow the arc will be, the AoA into the ball which will lead to fat contacts, which can then mean the player often times then stands up some into impact, early extends, with the arms moving a bunch out and away from the body with then high hands at strike with a steep shaft angle which can also lead to a bunch of toe strikes

if a player has repeatable good timing swing to swing and the swing path is say 6º/7º in to out and is also able to manage the clubface angle relationship to that swing direction (path) at strike plus center strike then they will get flight that moves a consistent distance right to left so it's still possible to play pretty good with that

as ever with golf it's a relationship with a bunch of impact conditions and the swing motions to produce those, but the more to the extreme ends of the scale of stuff the more difficult it can become to have a more consistent set of shot outcomes

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, very helpful. The "coach's" assessment is spot on, I am trying to get less toe strikes. When I hit it well it's lovely, nice little 3-5 yd draw, the poor ones feel thin and weak, and I have always had slightly high hands at strike. A bit more work at the range I think, but defo going in the right direction. Thanks again.