in to out swing and high hands

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a swing thats 6 degrees in to out (with a 7 iron) and I'm working on getting it more neutral. I also have high hands at impact and was wondering if the two are linked. I'd also like to add that the longer the club the higher my hands get.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a swing thats 6 degrees in to out (with a 7 iron) and I'm working on getting it more neutral. I also have high hands at impact and was wondering if the two are linked. I'd also like to add that the longer the club the higher my hands get.

yep. they can be for sure. out to in is oft times a good a ways too steep coming down into the ball, so the lowest point of the swing arc is a good ways trailside, before the club gets to the ball.
So the player then has to react to this in some ways so as not to dump the club steeply into the ground first, so there has so be some ways to pull up to avoid the ground, usually it's a combination of losing the pelvic posture & straightening the body up plus also then that raises the arms & hands, which also really steepens the shaft angle from the angle it was at address, if viewed from behind.

This will also slow the amount of club head speed that could be developed by a swing more on plane & retaining posture angles, so the hands go through impact at a similar height they were at address & the shaft returns (viewed from behind) more in line to the address angle, that way you get the optimum club head speed for the swing motion.

Same is true of an in to out in a slightly different way which is coming in usually a good ways shallower with a lot of oft times lateral hip movement left so the arms get a ways stuck behind then they have to get thrown out away from the body so again collision of the club head with the ground first more likely, & has to be avoided by standing up bringing the arms & hands up & again steepens the shaft, & slows the club head speed down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

yep. they can be for sure. out to in is oft times a good a ways too steep coming down into the ball, so the lowest point of the swing arc is a good ways trailside, before the club gets to the ball.
So the player then has to react to this in some ways so as not to dump the club steeply into the ground first, so there has so be some ways to pull up to avoid the ground, usually it's a combination of losing the pelvic posture & straightening the body up plus also then that raises the arms & hands, which also really steepens the shaft angle from the angle it was at address, if viewed from behind.

This will also slow the amount of club head speed that could be developed by a swing more on plane & retaining posture angles, so the hands go through impact at a similar height they were at address & the shaft returns (viewed from behind) more in line to the address angle, that way you get the optimum club head speed for the swing motion.

Same is tru of in to out which coming in usually shallower with a lot of oft times lateral hip movement left so the arms get a ways stuck thrown out away from the body so again collision with the ground more likely has to be avoided by standing up bringing the arms & hands up & again steepens the shaft, & slows the club head speed down.

I'm sorry but this may as well be written in Chinese :confused:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
no was doing both swing paths & hadn't quite finished post, have now.
So is it a case of sort out my club path and the problem will fix itself? I can get my hands lower at impact but i really have to force my hands into position.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So is it a case of sort out my club path and the problem will fix itself? I can get my hands lower at impact but i really have to force my hands into position.

Maybe sorting the path will help that may mean also looking at how you take the club back too, as what happens on the ways down to impact, is partly pre planned by how you take the club back. Could be that the club & right elbow at the top is more behind your back, then with lateral shift left arms club get stuck when this happens it often means too that the player has to keep too much weight on the trail leg in an effort to get club to ball.
So swing direction coming from behind the right elbow a bit stuck behind, weight on right side, if you don't pull upwards in some ways you'll dump the club in the ground first.

So without seeing it can't really be specific. Do you with the longer end of the bag that's not off a tee, sometimes catch them a bit heavy, do you push a fair amount or hook?

May also be that the arm swing is a little ways disconnected from the body turn.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im turning over my short irons and hitting a mixture of blocks and snap hooks with my longer stuff. As for contact. Its always thin and toey. Ill see if i can get a video up

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Might give you an idea of how parts of the swing work together to get the club on the ball....

[video=youtube;jUQmjdywsio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUQmjdywsio[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what you can see from that still & angle, right elbow more above the right hip arms pretty good shape in front of the body, so nothing that screams there. Bit blurry but left forearm & leading edge of club at top look in good shape, not closed at the top.

So what ever is happening occurs in the movement & sequence of movement from here.

Do you feel you may slide a good way left with the hips, & also lose that pelvic angle we see here, &/or leave too much weight on the right side from here?

One thing from what you describe with the shot results that you sometimes get, somewhere from this position you are gaining some vertical height.
Often this because too much weight still on the right side as you come down, so the hips come forwards & upwards a little to stop the clubhead scuffing the ground first. (as JustOne eluded to in the EE comment)
This often means the arms too get a little disconnected as they too raise upwards.

The reason will be in the motion as you get to the top & what exactly happens as you start down.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It could be worthwhile using the equivalent of Bob's headcover drill (in reverse) but with something like tees rather than headcovers.

If the errant path is corrected, it's highly likely that the associated 'faults' like high hands will simply disappear as the sub/unconscious brain realises it doesn't need to 'correct' and/or that a better connection happens when they are lower. Much better to find a drill that fixes everything 'naturally' than making deliberate individual changes.

Does seem like you are 'getting stuck' though.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What kills me the most is 6 months ago i was 3 degree's out to in!!!!!! I will never moan about playing a fade again.

Thanks for taking the time coach

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It could be worthwhile using the equivalent of Bob's headcover drill (in reverse) but with something like tees rather than headcovers.

If the errant path is corrected, it's highly likely that the associated 'faults' like high hands will simply disappear as the sub/unconscious brain realises it doesn't need to 'correct' and/or that a better connection happens when they are lower. Much better to find a drill that fixes everything 'naturally' than making deliberate individual changes.

Does seem like you are 'getting stuck' though.

I have hit over 5000 balls with a gate and head cover drill and about 2000 balls with a shoe box in between me and the ball.
Nothing works. I definitely get the feeling there's a root cause and by the time i start down its too late. Booked in with a new pro next weeks so fingers crossed

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your welcome, good luck.

One other thing the high hands do is tilt the club face so the heels high, toe down, toe end of the club the only part that can get to the ball.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who/what is giving you these readings?

What is your AoA?

FWIW I don't happen to think 6 degrees is bad with a 7-iron unless you are trying to zero out your path and hit all balls dead straight.
What's aoa buddy?

Getting my info from track man and flight scope. The pro i was seeing said ideal is no more than 2 degrees either way. I just want to hit it straight. The blocks aren't that bad but blimey when they're left, they're left!!!!!

It isn't much fun hitting 20 yard right to lefters from a 80 yard sand wedge

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What's aoa buddy?

Getting my info from track man and flight scope. The pro i was seeing said ideal is no more than 2 degrees either way. I just want to hit it straight. The blocks aren't that bad but blimey when they're left, they're left!!!!!

It isn't much fun hitting 20 yard right to lefters from a 80 yard sand wedge

AoA is 'angle of attack'

If you want to hit a 7-iron straight you have to be aimed a few degrees LEFT, the angle of descent (with a 7-iron) will then make your ACTUAL PATH straight.

Here's a vid about something called the D-Plane.

Aiming square, having a square clubface and swinging perfectly down the line does NOT work to hit a striaght shot unless you have NO angle of descent into impact. It's something worth trying to understand if you are trying to learn to zero your path or if you happen to be splitting hairs about swinging 6 degrees out on a golf forum ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sIQ-7DJJbU

added: the thing with all flight monitors is they don't actually KNOW where you're aiming when you make your swing... you might already be aiming 3 degrees right before you even swing :thup:

Last edited: