In the rough

Mandofred

Visit site
I thought I was likely breaking a rule in the past....now I don't think I was. If I read something correctly, if I am in the rough....grass is thick.....I can "plop" my club down behind the ball (not moving the ball) like I can on the fairway, but I can't push it down to try and clear the grass away......although it seems kind of the same in a way.

So it's ok to set the club down in the grass as long as you don't try to force the grass out of the way?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may set your club down in the grass behind the ball but without pressing it down. Let it rest under its own weight without adding any force to that and you're ok. That's to do with not flattening the grass with a downward movement: you are allowed to push your club laterally in amongst the grass. See Rule 8.1b(4)

Mandofred

Visit site
You may set your club down in the grass behind the ball but without pressing it down. Let it rest under its own weight without adding any force to that and you're ok. That's to do with not flattening the grass with a downward movement: you are allowed to push your club laterally in amongst the grass. See Rule 8.1b(4)
That's what I thought. I had thought that you weren't supposed to even put your club down...in case somebody thinks you are trying to clear grass for a better shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
for reference

Rule 8.1b
b. Actions That Are Allowed
In preparing for or making a stroke, a player may take any of these actions and there is no penalty even if doing so improves the conditions affecting the stroke:

(4) Ground the club lightly right in front of or right behind the ball.

But when doing so the player:

• Must use the least intrusive course of action to deal with the particular situation.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can always flatten the grass down behind the ball with your 3 wood before 'changing your mind' and taking an iron out instead - as long as your name rhymes with Hat-trick Weed.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Always struck me as odd that putting the club head down in front of the ball is also permitted. Don't really understand why, as that could also improve your lie, e.g. if grass was pressing up against the front of the ball.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always struck me as odd that putting the club head down in front of the ball is also permitted. Don't really understand why, as that could also improve your lie, e.g. if grass was pressing up against the front of the ball.
Some believe they can line up the clubface better if the ball isn't in front of the face.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would question on some occasions is it actually better not to ground your club any way? It could lead to the grass facing in a worse direction. I.e. is it easier to hit through grass growing straight up than grass facing the clubface in the strike?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That's what I thought. I had thought that you weren't supposed to even put your club down...in case somebody thinks you are trying to clear grass for a better shot.
where things can also go wrong is if you do too many brisk 'practice' take-aways - thereby 'risking' flattening or moving out of the way long grass in the path (way of) of your backswing take-away. That's a no-no.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You can always flatten the grass down behind the ball with your 3 wood before 'changing your mind' and taking an iron out instead - as long as your name rhymes with Hat-trick Weed.
just the job for the special 3 wood, the one that the head weighs a Kilo:LOL: