Improving putting

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
What happens if all the 6 footers are downhill left to right?
Or are across the grain, or very bumpy?
I'd rather have a 6 foot putt uphill than a 3 foot downhill slider.
But if I have a 6 foot uphill straight putt and I start it online and if it hits a bump and misses, should I be worried?
What happens if I miss 7 greens during a round and chip each one stone dead so 29 putts, does that me a good putter?

And just for the record, if you use the correct statistics widely available,
1. Who cares if they are, if there all the same you should be holing them with confidence by the end of the round.
2. As many putts will be helped by poor greens, as are hindered. You cant program imperfections to always deflect your ball away from the hole
3.Using the make rates from 100's of thousands of putts over nearly 2 decades any 3 footer is more likely to go in than a 6 footer. Additionally holes are nearly always cut on slopes of less than 3% to ensure balls dont roll back on uphill putts. And if your 3 footer has tons of break, its very unlikely your straight uphill 6 footer is an easy make!
4. See 2. Your just as likely to make a 6 footer you hit just offline, though unless your playing on greens from the 1800 its hardly a major issue in summer golf
5. No, as the statistics say your near certain to make puts from inside a foot, you'll finish the round with very average putting, depending how you did on the greens you hit...

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2. As many putts will be helped by poor greens, as are hindered. You cant program imperfections to always deflect your ball away from the hole
Personally I agree with the general point that a sensible use of statistics is a good guide as to whether you are improving or not but on this point I'm not sure that it is true'
There are an awful lot more places a ball can deflect to other than the hole. If a putt is going towards the hole and is deflected significantly it can only be deflected away from the hole. If a putt is missing and is deflected only a proportion will be deflected towards the hole.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Personally I agree with the general point that a sensible use of statistics is a good guide as to whether you are improving or not but on this point I'm not sure that it is true'
There are an awful lot more places a ball can deflect to other than the hole. If a putt is going towards the hole and is deflected significantly it can only be deflected away from the hole. If a putt is missing and is deflected only a proportion will be deflected towards the hole.

Yeah, but ive definately holed alot of putts that were horrible pushes or pulls too...

Skytot

Visit site
Played tonight to put a 9 hole card in for my new handicap after a 14 year absence. Played pretty well in tough conditions but I 3 putted 5 times and finished with a 49 .

Jason.H

Visit site
Played tonight to put a 9 hole card in for my new handicap after a 14 year absence. Played pretty well in tough conditions but I 3 putted 5 times and finished with a 49 .
I had a similar length of time away from golf. I found the the short game took the longest to get back.

Skytot

Visit site
I had a similar length of time away from golf. I found the the short game took the longest to get back.
I am happy with my chipping & pitching but my putting is horrendous, not just tonight but since I’ve re-join in January.

Jason.H

Visit site
I am happy with my chipping & pitching but my putting is horrendous, not just tonight but since I’ve re-join in January.
I started back in November so not seen this new course in the summer. Apparently the greens get ridiculously fast. Something to look forward too. That and the white tees in another 2 weeks

Bobthesock

Visit site
Had a putting lesson with an ex tour pro a few years ago. He had me putting from 10ft on a straight put until I could hole 5 in a row. Then did the same only with left hand and then only with right hand.
To echo some previous posters he said pace was key with long puts, you won't often misread a putt by 3ft but you will over/under hit it that far.
He also said within 6ft aim straight at the hole unless it's a massive break

Jason.H

Visit site
My putting recently has dramatically improved this last 2 weeks. I’ve started waliking up to the flag and straddling my line 2 or 3 times to feel the slope, takes no time tbh. Using a line on the ball then just concentrate on pace. I hole putts like never before it’s ridiculous. Puts missed have been finishing close.
When I first started this and lining up the ball I stood at address and was amazed say id set the line 1 foot out then stand over it it looked like I’m aiming at the hole. No wonder I never made puts before.