Improving Club Speed

ainley87simon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello all,

I am wondering if any of you people train specifically with golf in mind? I am interested in improving my swing speed now that I am hitting the ball pretty straight and more often within an acceptable (for me) yardage of my target, I want to start work improving my swing speed and in turn being able to take shorter clubs, which in my head means easier approaches.

I know alot of swing speed is about bio-mechanics and how your hips, back, shoulders, arms, wrists and hand all work together, and I know that I don't have a picture perfect swing and there is plenty of work to be done there, and that can be improved with practice and lessons.

What I am wanting is hopefully some kind of training that I can do without having to join a gym (no way I can afford that on top of my golf membership).

Anybody got any experience of advice?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you start the downswing in the correct sequence (Ground up) you should be reaching your max speed as you the club impacts the ball.

Plenty of YouTube vids, some referencing the relay race that takes place to generating maximum club speed.

chillicon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is a difficult one. Depending on your playing level, I would imagine that you will need to change your technique rather than necessarily physical training. Have you thought about lessons?

I remember Ian Woosnam once saying that it was better to learn to hit it long, then learn to hit it straight. So, you may find that striving to hit it further will come with less accuracy, so it may be counter productive.

As for actual training, I would recommend swimming, as for me this works all the necessary muscle groups and is a lot cheaper than joining a gym.

Davey247

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do go the gym (only £19 a month) and train with golf strength in mind. My focus is on core and leg strength as having the balance to swing the club harder and faster is essential before you start on the upper body.

Perhaps download some on the 30 day trainer apps and look at the squats, plank, sit ups and press ups.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Owww.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWW :angry:

Holy *expletive deleted*, that hurt >.<

As I suspected, I've lost a lot of muscle mass from my thighs and after doing a lot of squats and kettle ball swings, I can say that it's an area to work on.

We also did a fair amount of flexibility work. The instructor is a TPI certified physio, and all the exercises are available on the MyTPI website. I'll see if I can get the time to go through it and link to them here.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Speed Stik (red version)!

Does work, but can hurt if you hit the ground! :whistle:

Swing speed is something that's really quite difficult for ams to really improve. 5-10mph is really all that can be expected imo (from a reasonable starting point) without seriously jeapardising balance/rhythm to such a degree that accuracy becomes a major fault! The 'centredness of strike' (smash-factor) variable tends to have more of an impact (sic) than a slight difference in swing speed!