Impact.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a quick one....
Iv taken this on myself because i feel that my hips dont work fully in the swing the way they should...
I remember the first ever swing i showed Bob.. Many moons ago it was apparent that i was too grounded with the feet and my lower body wasnt working efficiently enough.....Since then iv done a lot of work and its starting to take shape.... Especially shallowing the swing and getting the weight forward a little better.....
Am i right in thinking that the hips should be 3/4's the way to facing target side before the club impacts the ball.....And that they should be going round and back rather than sliding and turning.....

Are there certain misses or ball flights that you can watch for to tell if your hips are not working the way they should be?....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just a quick one....
Iv taken this on myself because i feel that my hips dont work fully in the swing the way they should...
I remember the first ever swing i showed Bob.. Many moons ago it was apparent that i was too grounded with the feet and my lower body wasnt working efficiently enough.....Since then iv done a lot of work and its starting to take shape.... Especially shallowing the swing and getting the weight forward a little better.....
Am i right in thinking that the hips should be 3/4's the way to facing target side before the club impacts the ball.....And that they should be going round and back rather than sliding and turning.....

Are there certain misses or ball flights that you can watch for to tell if your hips are not working the way they should be?....

Hi Kid.

There are certain misses and flights to watch for if the clubface does not make good contact with the ball but the hips don't hit the ball.

The position of the hips are connected to how your hands are holding the club and from there the clubface at impact. If you have kept a flat left wrist and cupped right wrist then the hips and shoulders must be open at impact. Does this make sense to you?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Kid.

There are certain misses and flights to watch for if the clubface does not make good contact with the ball but the hips don't hit the ball.

The position of the hips are connected to how your hands are holding the club and from there the clubface at impact. If you have kept a flat left wrist and cupped right wrist then the hips and shoulders must be open at impact. Does this make sense to you?

Makes sense pal.... Is say mine are open..... But maybe not to the extent that they should be......

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If I remember rightly your posture isn't great. The action you have with your hips actually looks OK, they just aren't deep enough so your right hip will practically get in the way of your arms on the downswing and give you a very 'narrow' area to swing your hands down into... shanks are easy from here... is THAT the ball flight you are getting? :p

...and just like magic here's your vid :p .... on the left vid (new swing) see how much space your hands have at set up and then how little they have at impact

[video=youtube;je1Du77m95c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=je1Du77m95c[/video]

not sure if that answered your question or not :p

Cramped hands = blocks/hooks/shanks.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I remember rightly your posture isn't great. The action you have with your hips actually looks OK, they just aren't deep enough so your right hip will practically get in the way of your arms on the downswing and give you a very 'narrow' area to swing your hands down into... shanks are easy from here... is THAT the ball flight you are getting? :p

...and just like magic here's your vid :p .... on the left vid (new swing) see how much space your hands have at set up and then how little they have at impact

[video=youtube;je1Du77m95c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=je1Du77m95c[/video]

not sure if that answered your question or not :p

Cramped hands = blocks/hooks/shanks.

Dont be mentioning those will you James..... :lol:
I'm my defense that video was last march.... I think Iv improved a lot since then..... Especially in the posture department....
But to be fair when I'm not plaing well I do get a good few blocks and pushes with the longer clubs....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yeh, sorry I meant to mention your new(er) swing.....

Your hips still aren't deep enough, you just bend your knees which still drops your butt on top of your heels rather than behind them. When you make your backswing you barely turn your right hip back at all.

Thru impact your right hip is working OUT towards the ball, throwing your weight forwards and onto your toes, if you turned fully you might even fall forwards occasionally or 'walk out of the shot' to the right? ....there is a complete loss of spine angle here....

image.gif

I did post some posture stuff for you here...
http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?59113-Improving-with-different-Pro-s

I know your swing is work in progress and I like the amount that you are working on it (given that I never practice I should take a leaf out of your book) but the camera doesn't lie. It's brilliant that you have some vids to look at, if you get/post some more frequently I'm sure you'll be able to get well into single figs in no time at all :thup:

Last edited:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeh, sorry I meant to mention your new(er) swing.....

Your hips still aren't deep enough, you just bend your knees which still drops your butt on top of your heels rather than behind them. When you make your backswing you barely turn your right hip back at all.

Thru impact your right hip is working OUT towards the ball, throwing your weight forwards and onto your toes, if you turned fully you might even fall forwards occasionally or 'walk out of the shot' to the right? ....there is a complete loss of spine angle here....

image.gif

I did post some posture stuff for you here...
http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?59113-Improving-with-different-Pro-s

I know your swing is work in progress and I like the amount that you are working on it (given that I never practice I should take a leaf out of your book) but the camera doesn't lie. It's brilliant that you have some vids to look at, if you get/post some more frequently I'm sure you'll be able to get well into single figs in no time at all :thup:

Ill get there alright pal.... Just a matter of time.... The work is going in alright.....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I posted a similar topic a few days back about the hips clearing.

What I have found working for me (.... Thanks to Socketrocket) is not thinking about them and how they work.

What I was doing was forcing them to clear from the top. My first move in the down swing was to fire my hips open. Disasterpiece.

I have found that, from the top, if my first move in the down swing is to move my hips toward the target and get my weight moving left, not my head or arms, just my hips laterally, my arms drop on plane, on their own, I hold quite a bit more lag and, the absolute best bit, my hips clear on their own provided I keep turning.

Try it. You may be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I posted a similar topic a few days back about the hips clearing.

What I have found working for me (.... Thanks to Socketrocket) is not thinking about them and how they work.

What I was doing was forcing them to clear from the top. My first move in the down swing was to fire my hips open. Disasterpiece.

I have found that, from the top, if my first move in the down swing is to move my hips toward the target and get my weight moving left, not my head or arms, just my hips laterally, my arms drop on plane, on their own, I hold quite a bit more lag and, the absolute best bit, my hips clear on their own provided I keep turning.

Try it. You may be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

I agree, different swings need different pieces, the trick is to get someone to look at your swing and find the right piece for you. Some people start with the shoulders and come over the top, others start with the hips and leave the club trailing miles behind (and often have to early extend) whilst a 3rd group need to start more with arms,,, there's probably a 4th, 5th, 6th group if you wanted to get that deep into swing mechanics.

...good post Gareth :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
others start with the hips and leave the club trailing miles behind (and often have to early extend)

That'll be me then!!! No problem clearing the hips but the arms and rest of it often found taking the bus instead of the car and never fully catch up and the body has to lift out to try and find that little white sphere

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I seem to have got the "unwind from the ground up" bit wrong. my bottom half drives hard first getting the club stuck behind me.

the last 5 minutes on this seems to be one of my big problems.

[video=youtube;yve9fyGS5MQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yve9fyGS5MQ&list=TLlafBkxpaZo8[/video]

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That'll be me then!!! No problem clearing the hips but the arms and rest of it often found taking the bus instead of the car and never fully catch up and the body has to lift out to try and find that little white sphere

Yeh, the club is too far behind you so you steepen it in transition and then (ironically) shallow it again into impact by thrusting the hips forwards.... easy to fix.... if you want to ;)

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It might have been even easier to illustrate or give someone a visual image if he'd picked someone with buttons on a shirt or a zip on a jacket to demonstrate his point.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I seem to have got the "unwind from the ground up" bit wrong. my bottom half drives hard first getting the club stuck behind me.

the last 5 minutes on this seems to be one of my big problems.

[video=youtube;yve9fyGS5MQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yve9fyGS5MQ&list=TLlafBkxpaZo8[/video]

excellent vid Gary, thanks for posting- it's exactly what I've been working on the last 2.5 weeks and hitting the ball better than I have in 3 years.
It was Tom Watsons 'the secret' I first saw it and this explains it a bit better :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
excellent vid Gary, thanks for posting- it's exactly what I've been working on the last 2.5 weeks and hitting the ball better than I have in 3 years.
It was Tom Watsons 'the secret' I first saw it and this explains it a bit better :thup:

watched that video the same night as I found this. its something I can see, understand, but cant get my body to move in that way. I do exactly the kind of body motion that's described. somehow I can get this to work but I have to hook it to make it work. the game can be so much easier than that.

if I aim straight and do my normal swing I pull it left because its stuck. therefore I play for the draw. if I want to fade it, I have to manipulate it slightly. again this is more of a slicing motion but it always works pretty much left to right when I want it. its not a standard 5 yard fade like a pro.

I understand it can be a lot easier swinging in the right fashion. just needs a lot of time at the range over the winter.