I'm so sad - shaft question >>

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Beware: Idiot that knows nothing about equipment :angry:

Question about shafts...

If you have a 9-iron that is px5.5 and a 4-iron the same is the 4-iron more 'whippy' as the shaft is longer or is it set to the same flex 'for it's length' so to speak (so it should feel the same flex as the 9-iron if you know what I mean).

Ta :thup:

A

Alex1975

Are you asking about PX specifically? PX are frequency matched so can be all different weights through one set. I would guess this will effect the answer you get. Are you asking if the longer irons are softer? If so then the answer is no, they all have the same frequency.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Question about shafts...

If you have a 9-iron that is px5.5 and a 4-iron the same is the 4-iron more 'whippy' as the shaft is longer or is it set to the same flex 'for it's length' so to speak (so it should feel the same flex as the 9-iron if you know what I mean).

It will (at least should) be same flex for its length.

Depends what you mean by whippy!

If you measure it in terms of how far the tip will move in absolute terms, then more whippy. If measured in terms of angle for a certain pressure, then should be pretty much the same - pretty much, but shaft profile and a few other things come into play, so it's unlikely to be exactly the same angle.

If you were to put a 4 iron on a frequency measuring machine, then the CPS value -293.7 is the standard value for R5.5) would be less than if you put the 9-iron on, where 315.2 is the standard value for 5.5.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

Question about shafts...

What colour shaft sticker?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It will (at least should) be same flex for its length.

Depends what you mean by whippy!

If you measure it in terms of how far the tip will move in absolute terms, then more whippy. If measured in terms of angle for a certain pressure, then should be pretty much the same - pretty much, but shaft profile and a few other things come into play, so it's unlikely to be exactly the same angle.

If you were to put a 4 iron on a frequency measuring machine, then the CPS value -293.7 is the standard value for R5.5) would be less than if you put the 9-iron on, where 315.2 is the standard value for 5.5.

Thanks for that. Love it. It might make sense to you, but to me it might as well be posted in Greek. Not your fault, it's clearly mine, but it's lost me big time.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you asking about PX specifically? PX are frequency matched so can be all different weights through one set. I would guess this will effect the answer you get. Are you asking if the longer irons are softer? If so then the answer is no, they all have the same frequency.

PX aren't frequency matched, they are weight sorted, like TT DG, which is an approximation for frequency, but not precise.

Rifles were frequency matched.

Otherwise longer = softer, in frequency terms.