Illegal Drivers

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Posted by a local club fitter just yesterday:

"

CW Golf Solutions
Yesterday at 09:06 ·
Attention Amateur golfers if you want to hit it longer save your money and buy a Non Conforming club, it can be used In almost every club competition as long as the entry list stated otherwise.
Most non conforming heads will cost you less than half the price of a mainstream OEM driver which certainly wasn’t developed for the 90% of golfers on the planet.
DID YOU KNOW?
The List of Conforming Driver Heads is only recommended for use as a Condition of Competition by Committees in charge of competitions restricted to highly skilled players (including top amateur events).
In other words any competition run by a committee. This may sound like a strange post however if all you mid to high handicap golfers want to buy equipment to put the fun back into the game this is your answer. Especially the older generation who struggle to play the game as it’s now too tough due to the fact they’ve lost all distance!
If this post is intriguing you, Google Non conforming High COR Drivers, the best value for money ones come from China and should cost around $100-$200 shipped to uk.
Ps you can all thank me later 👍"

Or save your money and get a magic pencil - GUARANTEED to improve your scores

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The new rules were introduced in 2008. Surely the initial drop in performance from restricting the COR effect has been eroded by other developments in technology in the last decade? TM has brought out a new driver every year promising an extra 10 yards.
A good point, but looked at the other way the driver head performance has been limited since then.

The rule makers admit they didn't cover off the ball sufficiently at that time, and it's the combination of ball and clubhead, correctly matched to the golfer, that has seen the improvements since that time. As an average across the whole 10 years since I suspect you won't see 10yds though!

The performance potential for a non conforming head and ball is significant (in terms of distance).

sunshine

Visit site
Duncan,
I'm no expert, but isn't it rather driver face performance has been limited?

In the last few years we've seen the introduction of speed slots, tuned weight cartridges, turbolators, jail break (?), speed foam, but above all the adjustability to move weight around the head to match the golfer's swing. Don't all these advances in technology mean a 2018 head performs better than a 2008 head which has none of these features but does have a springy face?

I have no idea what the answer is.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Duncan,

In the last few years we've seen the introduction of speed slots, tuned weight cartridges, turbolators, jail break (?), speed foam, but above all the adjustability to move weight around the head to match the golfer's swing. Don't all these advances in technology mean a 2018 head performs better than a 2008 head which has none of these features but does have a springy face?

I think if you middle it, no, the non conforming club will be longer. Especially with a modern shaft in it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Duncan,

In theory they mean the opposite - ie the newer heads cannot perform better in terms of distance generation per se. You won't see more than 1.50 as a smash factor from any conforming club - so it's down to launch conditions and the creation of clubhead speed by the player.

Which leads to murph's point.

This isn't fundamentally true of anything other than a driver though - which is why some (especially one off, non commercial products) 3 woods have the performance they do (but don't last long!).

The main focus of the last 10 years has been adjustability (to fine tune to a golfer, and same manufacturing loads of versions!), shafts and control of spin coupled with the creation of a face that doesn't care where you hit the ball to perform.

As I'm personally still capable of skying a driver of a red castle tee (which is obviously theoretically impossible) most of these improvements go straight over my head (with my ball) but if you talkmtomthe fitters in the manufacturers tour trucks they will tell you that a top tour pro will bite their hands off for 2yds more carry...so the game continues.