If your child came home from school with a note saying........

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why dont they ask parents if they will supply their child with an iPad and then have a scheme where families that cant afford one can get one through a monthly payment scheme? There will be a problem where some families will just not be able to afford it or wont want to participate.

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
What if just one child’s parents simply can't afford it? I should imaging most of the users of this forum are fairly comfortable off. Golf is not a poor man’s sport. But I remember as child in less prosperous times for me in the sixties, going home from school with notes about school trips abroad etc, in the knowledge I had no chance, and joining a separate queue for free school dinners.

What if a parent has 2 or even 3 kids at that school? My opinion is, it basically wrong. If that is what is required then the school should fund it. If they don’t have the resources then it doesn’t happen Why do we pay council tax and income tax?

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Given that a new Ipad costs around £400 and the school should get some kind of education/bulk buy discount, the numbers don't add up? What happens if the parents can't keep up the repayments, does the school turn to the courts and debt collectors?

My nephews school has a stock of ipad 2's that are used in lessons, the school bought them. They don't have enough for every pupil so the kids are given them at the start of the lesson and return them at the end. They save any work on the school server so they can retrieve it later from another Ipad. As they aren't taken home then they aren't getting lost or stolen.
For sure, new technology needs to be used to engage pupils but there are smarter ways to do it?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Great idea....in principle
However anyone with an ounce of sense can see that they will all need replacing within 3 years
There will also be damaged ones, failed ones, sat upon ones

Kids have little respect for gadgets

In total a very expensive experiment which will ultimately end up with a return to pen and paper

A

Alex1975

Given that a new Ipad costs around £400 and the school should get some kind of education/bulk buy discount, the numbers don't add up? What happens if the parents can't keep up the repayments, does the school turn to the courts and debt collectors?

My nephews school has a stock of ipad 2's that are used in lessons, the school bought them. They don't have enough for every pupil so the kids are given them at the start of the lesson and return them at the end. They save any work on the school server so they can retrieve it later from another Ipad. As they aren't taken home then they aren't getting lost or stolen.
For sure, new technology needs to be used to engage pupils but there are smarter ways to do it?

Really like this and yours Phil. Does any Tech last more than 3 years?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a great idea and no doubt it's the way schools etc will be heading - I'd just be a little concerned about having a few hundred kids leaving the school at 3:30 with £400 in their schoolbags!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
dont forget the insurance. I saw this on BBC Breakfast and it looked quite a good idea. I would be up for it as long as some little scrote (I assume thats not a banned word) doesnt smash my kids up due to his adhd

I believe it will engage kids more as it is more interactive, lets be honest how many of us use a pen and paper on a daily basis? Not many.

They are also looking at bringing in programming/computer science quals into school, again an excellent idea.

time to move forwards albeit a bit of extra discipline wouldnt go amiss too ;)

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
How will teachers police the "Innit" brigade the chavs that cannot, will not, speak real English? We are all aware of "Text" speak and the damage that does when a lot or todays youth seem to sound African American. Sorry if this sounds racist but it is true and it is not meant to sound racist. How will teachers discourage this going forward?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My initial reaction would be to question why they weren't getting better buy in prices and looking at alternative suppliers. Other thanthat plenty of good arguments about insurance, security (of the pupil and the pad) and access to information and data. Be interesting to see what "other information" the OP releases