Identifying Your Ball On The First Tee

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Its something I should get better at, if someone goes to the bother of announcing I should probably take more time to listen… but I usually don’t. I hear it but even if announced I doubt I could tell you the three ball types half way down 1st fairway. Even regular PP’s don’t stick with one ball type so its ever changing data (not really an excuse though)
I’ll usually only announce mine if someone else has already done it (just cos it seems to matter to them)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
So enlighten me please. In a medal round and out as a 3 or 4 ball, everyone declares their make, number and marking on the first tee and on the 7th hole, about 90 minutes later one of the players balls is in need of searching for. Do you remember from the 1st tee conversation the make, number and what distinguishes their ball without asking again as you reach the search area and if you can remember all the details of the balls do you also remember which player declared which one?

Not always, but probably, and I'd definitely notice if they had changed brand. Its not exactly a stretch, remember 2 balls... especially as you get to see them every green. Even easier as its normally just remembering a number (Titleist) or the brand would stick out (if its anything other than a Titleist)

And in all honesty, if we're looking, I'd check before we start "Its a Callaway 3 isnt it" but if I find nearly any ball, I would ask the player to check and identify, so in effect give them the chance to cheat. I cant say they ever have.

I'm not particularly fussed if someone doesnt announce, I just do because I feel like it's the right thing to do. More than once after I announce a playing partner has retorted "Ahh, me too", so it has its benefits...

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
It's one of those things that seems like a good idea but when you really think about it, it's pretty pointless. As for the cheating angle, well there are plenty of places for golfers to cheat if they wanted and no one would know, so I just trust them not to. Me not knowing what ball they have makes no odds.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always carry a "frightener" in my left hand pocket. And I always make sure that it is numbered higher than my chosen ball in play. So if I am playing a Callaway 1, my frightener will preferably be a Callaway 2.

Is that with or without personal markings:ROFLMAO:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Even if everyone identified their balls on the first tee, all the cheat has to do when a different ball is found during a search on the 7th hole is say, "yes that's mine, I changed it on the 5th tee."

If you're really suspicious of someone then, when you find a Titleist 3 you could try saying, "here's a Callaway 2, is that yours?"
When they say "Yes, that's mine" (assuming that they are the cheat you suspect) then you can say "Oh, sorry my mistake it's a Titleist"

Even more devious would be to name an obscure ball that you know they will have no chance of finding and then they're stuffed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You don't have to, but a few weeks ago in the Club Champs we did this and someone else's ball was exactly the same as mine - same marking as well because, by total coincidence, he was using a ball he'd found that I lost a week before. :LOL: So it was lucky we did identify balls or else we could have hit to the same area and had no idea whose was whose. And also he gave me my ball back which was nice of him.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You don't have to, but a few weeks ago in the Club Champs we did this and someone else's ball was exactly the same as mine - same marking as well because, by total coincidence, he was using a ball he'd found that I lost a week before. :LOL: So it was lucky we did identify balls or else we could have hit to the same area and had no idea whose was whose. And also he gave me my ball back which was nice of him.

My only comment on this is... what was the other fella thinking, rocking up tp the 1st tee with a ball he found and could've been 'in the wild' for months! If he cant even play new balls in the club champs when would he :LOL:

Club Champs = Best of gear, its all part of the fun, new balls, new glove, full bag stripped and cleaned 2 days before etc (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My only comment on this is... what was the other fella thinking, rocking up tp the 1st tee with a ball he found and could've been 'in the wild' for months! If he cant even play new balls in the club champs when would he :LOL:

Club Champs = Best of gear, its all part of the fun, new balls, new glove, full bag stripped and cleaned 2 days before etc (y)
I think there are two schools of thought regarding golf balls. One is, I must use the same make/model and in good condition for consistency. The other is, the ball makes absolutely no difference so I'll just whatever one is handy. :p

I ended up using the one he'd given back to me as I lost mine on the 8th. :LOL:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its something I should get better at, if someone goes to the bother of announcing I should probably take more time to listen… but I usually don’t. I hear it but even if announced I doubt I could tell you the three ball types half way down 1st fairway. Even regular PP’s don’t stick with one ball type so its ever changing data (not really an excuse though)
I’ll usually only announce mine if someone else has already done it (just cos it seems to matter to them)

If I’m playing with someone in our small swindle, I know most of their markings whatever make they have decided to use that day.

If I playing in a comp with someone I don’t know I have forgotten their name by the time I’m 100 yards down the fairway let alone ball details. Only chance of remembering anything is if they are playing a yellow ball the same as me.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The primary reason for identifying balls on the first tee is to protect players from a penalty when two balls lie side by side on the fairway and both players announce at this point that they are playing the same make/model of ball with the same or similar markings. It is not so we can check on our fellow competitors when searching for a ball, as others have said a cheat will always find a way of cheating unless we put a camera on them for the whole four hours.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I always identify my ball on the tee. My markings are quite distinctive as well, so it makes it easier to identify. The reason to identify them on the tee is to know that at least, at the start, you can identify your ball. Of course the circumstances can change during the round but at least you can clarify it at the start of the game.
I played one time when two players were playing with a Titleist Number 2. One marked with black dots, one with dark blue. On the 4th hole, they played each others ball in error.

Swango1980

Visit site
If I have a bit of time I sometimes mark my ball with my full name (including surname). I may also add my address if there is any room on the ball. Dating it might help (just in case I find an old ball of mine on the course in the same area), although it is a pain if you don't lose it and want to use it some time in the future :)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If I have a bit of time I sometimes mark my ball with my full name (including surname). I may also add my address if there is any room on the ball. Dating it might help (just in case I find an old ball of mine on the course in the same area), although it is a pain if you don't lose it and want to use it some time in the future :)
Finally! A sensible answer.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site
Surely you could mark dots or tally for the day of the month, then just add more if you need to re-use it on later day ;)

...although I guess there would be an issue if you rolled into a new month... that’s probably why they have different coloured Sharpies :unsure:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally! A sensible answer.
My mate was presented with 2 dozen Pro V1s all printed with " Willie Pettigrew , Motherwell legend.
All now long gone, sadly only one was ever returned to him :p.
But he did find one himself when searching for his latest sliced drive, very consistent :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
my mate will aim to use same ball and number. He puts one red dot on his first ball. If he has to use a provisional that will have two dots; three dots for a second provisional and so on. I don’t often see a three dot and have not yet seen a four dot, but if one day I find one then I know what’s happened…?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I was playing in a 4-man team match the other week. On the second hole, one of the team, who is a scratch golfer, knocked his tee shot into a lightly wooded area - we were pretty sure we would find it.

Walking towards the area I asked him what his ball was, and he said Kirkland - I said I was surprised he could get hold of them as they usually sell out really quickly, but he said he had a mate who could get them for him.

So, as we walked on the line of his ball, there was a Kirkland. Not as far as we thought.

He immediately said it wasn't his.

What are the odds of that happening?

I found his ball maybe 50 or 60 yards further on.

Mark your balls!!!!!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I was playing in a 4-man team match the other week. On the second hole, one of the team, who is a scratch golfer, knocked his tee shot into a lightly wooded area - we were pretty sure we would find it.

Walking towards the area I asked him what his ball was, and he said Kirkland - I said I was surprised he could get hold of them as they usually sell out really quickly, but he said he had a mate who could get them for him.

So, as we walked on the line of his ball, there was a Kirkland. Not as far as we thought.

He immediately said it wasn't his.

What are the odds of that happening?

I found his ball maybe 50 or 60 yards further on.

Mark your balls!!!!!
Don't think there is anyone on here advocating not marking their balls...the OP question was about declaring on the first tee. Assume your mate hadn't declared hence the conversation on hole 2. I'm still in the "it doesn't matter until you start looking for a lost ball" camp, then ask what you are looking for, as you did.

I do like the earlier comment though about saying you have found a brand x and asking if that's the missing ball, only to then correct yourself, sorry its brand Y. That would identify a cheat!!!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
What a load of nonsense….if the player can identify their ball that’s all hat matters.

Case of ‘give the man a badge….’ here!!

It is a matter of what is meant by identification. It is insufficient for the player to have the ball identified to his satisfaction. Others(pups) must be able to be satisfied.
I,e. No good the player saying - it is a Srixon 1.
There are many Srixon 1s. Some of which are laying around golf courses. Lost.

However, saying you are playing with a Srixon with two red dots at the end of the name on the ball, would be good identification. That can be seen to be the case ( or otherwise, )by other players.

Social golf, who cares?
Competition- it matters.

Swango1980

Visit site
It is a matter of what is meant by identification. It is insufficient for the player to have the ball identified to his satisfaction. Others(pups) must be able to be satisfied.
I,e. No good the player saying - it is a Srixon 1.
There are many Srixon 1s. Some of which are laying around golf courses. Lost.

However, saying you are playing with a Srixon with two red dots at the end of the name on the ball, would be good identification. That can be seen to be the case ( or otherwise, )by other players.

Social golf, who cares?
Competition- it matters.
See the final bullet point in Rule 7.2. There is no requirement for a player to put any markings on the ball under the rules. A ball is identified if a ball is found that is the same brand, number and condition as the players ball. This will only back fire on the player if 2 identical balls are found.

So, it is recommended to put markings on it, but not necessary under the rules.