Ideas for Charity day

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
As above ,thinking of having a charity day for the Sick Kids hospital in Glasgow where my son had a heart valve replacement in August.It would take place at Scotscraig my club probably late June early July.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about running one,has anyone ran one, any suggestions taken on board.

Cheers Steve

T

thecraw

You could run a sweep at £10 a head to guess how many new sets of irons and drivers you will go through this year!

Seriously though Steve as they said in that stupid film, "build it and they'll come". Well organise it and you can count on my support and help if required. I'm sure there are a good few more on here who will also support you.

I'd imagine a good golf day, longest drives, nearest the pins, team prizes, meal afterwards, I'll happily donate my usual bottle of Whisky to start off your fund.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Helped a friend who did one recently, the bulk of the money that went to the charity came through each hole being sponsored by local businesses, and a raffle and auction in the evening.

As for the actual golf was a normal stableford comp, with nearest the pins, longest drive plus a prize on the par 3s for a hole in 1 (ranging from a weekend at belfry to a car), then a dinner, the raffle and a disco.

As a format it worked very well, got about 80 or 90 players and raised a good lump for charity.

Good luck with your day

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the support and ideas guys,thanks Crawford for the offer,will have a think about it,it was an idea after all the support we got when we were thru there,things you actually take for granted.
I'll speak to my squad which would be the best way to go i think as the green fees would be £15 ,as it would be 3 guests and 1 member per group.

Again thanks ,i'll be back on again if i decide to go thru with it,at least i've posted 1590 times before i put a charity event up :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends how big your ambitions are, but the name of the game is getting as much of the stuff for free - access to the course, prizes, publicity - then the maximum will go to charity.

One model would be a 4BBB or team comp, played as a shotgun, with a carvery, prize giving and presentation to one of the doctors from the hospital after. If you really push the boat out, you might find a local pro willing to give a clinic as part of the bash.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends how big your ambitions are, but the name of the game is getting as much of the stuff for free - access to the course, prizes, publicity - then the maximum will go to charity.

One model would be a 4BBB or team comp, played as a shotgun, with a carvery, prize giving and presentation to one of the doctors from the hospital after. If you really push the boat out, you might find a local pro willing to give a clinic as part of the bash.

Thats another idea Matin but the hospital is 90 miles away so not the easiest to organise and get someone to come thru.
I think if i start at a reasonable size for the first year then see how it goes i could maybe do it again.

My course wouldn't give me it for nothing i know that for sure ,it would cost £15 for the golf as a visitor is charged £70 or £75 for a game so a saving there,me and my mates would sign everyone on,no probs there.

I'm sure the pro at my club would do something as he is a good mate of ours and it could work out for both of us.

Food for thought that,cheers again Martin.

Steve

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What a great idea and I would certainly see you for a few prizes Steve and would also like to support you with a team or 2 if it was possible.

Any help needed and just say the word and I would try and help out.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Steve,

recently played in a Charity day at our course and each team had the chance to enter a yellow ball competition.

This meant each team that entered was give a yellow ball with a number on it on the first tee. Top quality Ultra we were given. Each player took it in turn to play the yellow ball for one hole, lowest handicapper first up to highest and it kept going around the team until you lost it or completed the round. There was a prize for the team with the lowest net score with the yellow ball.

It is amazing how much more difficult a tee shot becomes knowing you have the yellow ball and don't want to be the one to loose it. Saw many teams wandering about the whin bushes obviously looking for the aforesaid ball.

The day was well supported and has been running for few years now, good prizes from various sponsors always help.

hth

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a great idea and I would certainly see you for a few prizes Steve and would also like to support you with a team or 2 if it was possible.

Any help needed and just say the word and I would try and help out.

Alan thanks for the generous offer,you guys would be more than welcome as i've said before the more the merrier.

Alan Mc another cracking idea as a change to a normal golfing day out,i'll take stock of the ideas and look at it at the turn of the year when i get the club fixture list and my work rota, cheers again

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
push local and national businesses for raffle/spot prizes - we used to run an annual event (not golf) and wrote to close on 400 companies (anyone and everyone who made/imported drink was top of the list) - amazing how much positive response we got, and our cause was not as worthwhile as yours.

can be one drawback, we got so much stuff one year the raffle went on all night!

add on a straightest drive hole, longest eliminates half the field before they hit a ball; pitching/chipping/putting competitions so that you keep everyone involved before/after their tee-time.

I think the forum has proved that distance is no object to the crazed golfer, wouldn't mind betting you could get a hospital team entered.

SwingSlow

Head Pro
Visit site
We've just run our annual golf day for our local school.

Brief breakdown of fund raising sources:

Green fees: We did a deal with a local club for Bacon roll, round of golf and curry afterwards all-in and added a margin to get to the entrance fee - lots of people will be willing to pay for a charity day if there is a package to make it a bit of an event.

Programme: Sold advertising space to local businesses plus a couple of holes were sponsored.

Raffle: Most prizes donated - if you sell tickets on the day to people at the event, you don't need a licence; if you sell tickets to people in advance of the event and not involved in the event, you need a licence from the local council (in England and Wales anyway - don't know about Scotland).

Auction: Had a couple of nice things donated which we thought would go better in an auction.

Drinks buggy: We again did a deal with the club and had a couple of non-playing wives driving round the course with a buggy selling the club's drinks and snacks and split the profits with the club.

Format:

Stableford - full handicap. Individual competition (men's and ladies) and team competition. For team competition, best 2 scores on each hole count.

Also:

Longest drive; straightest drive(the club pegged a line down the centre of one of the par 5 fairways); nearest the pin on a par 3 and nearest the pin in 2 on a short par 4 (good addition as gives both a driving and approach shot test) - last year had one player drive the green and still not be nearest in 2 as someone got their approach shot inside his putt.

Top tip: See if one of your friends works for a large company with an employee volunteering or charity scheme and get them involved in the organisation - their employer might be willing to support you with a donation if they get some publicity and a number of them have match funding schemes.

Good luck

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Steve

If you can make it a shotgun start that way you get everyone sitting down to eat together and you have a captive audience for the prise giving,raffel and or auction.

I have always found it better than people coming in group by group and hanging around.

Also the hospital will have a fundraising dept who should be able to help with promotional items, banners and posters and general advertising.

good luck.

Rick