I think I've asked this before...

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
But I couldn't find the thread, does anyone have some advice on hitting fairway woods off the ground? Was at the range last night and off a tee my 3 wood is great, nice and accurate, perfect if I want a bit more control on say a tight par 4, but off the ground it's hopeless, I'd say 1 or 2 out of 10 don't end up as duffs, and it's really doing my head in :( I know you're meant to sort of sweep the ball but I find myself topping it if I try and just get the ball :( any advice would be much appreciated

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Play a push-fade as that will add loft to the club, also keep your head behind the ball, that should help you stop topping it.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I notice a lot of people who struggle with a 3-wood from the deck are trying to scoop the ball up in the air rather than just swinging like they have it teed up. But it is no good having it on the front foot like you are on the tee as you can't hit the ball on the up from the fairway.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As JustOne has said, it is easier to try to hit a push fade with a fairway off the deck. there is far more margin for error. I was playing with my asst pro last year, and he was saying it is very hard to hit a straight shot, or a draw in this situation, so the preferred option was a fade.