I hate par 3s...

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello all,

It doesn't take much digging on this forum for the content of my less than plentiful posts to expose me as a poor golfer...that said I absolutely love this game, am about to join my local golf club (Bransford in Worcester) and hopefully my handicap will go down steadily over the years to come! (I haven't worked out my handicap properly but I'm currently playing between 24 and 30 shots over par typically).

What I find is that I'll play say 4-5 holes (par 4s and 5s) and maybe get a par, a few bogies and a couple of double bogies. I'll think 'this is going relatively well' and then I'll hit a par 3...

For some reason, my game completely falls apart when it comes to par 3 holes. I don't think I have ever hit the green on my first shot. Maybe I have a mental block?

What usually happens is this. I'll mishit my tee shot and end up 30 yards or so from the hole (left, right, too far, too short, whatever). Then I'll bugger up a couple of chipping or pitch attempts and get on the green for say 3 (for example I'll hit the ball square on with the edge of a lob wedge and send it flying over the green lol). Then I'll bugger up my putting and 3 put for 6 or 7!!

Tripple or quadruple bogey.

It's really beginning to get to me and I don't know how to sort the problem out. My driving could use quite a lot of work to be fair (not an issue on a par 3 of course), but my iron shots are probably the strongest part of my game (I've had quite a few lessons with the pro and my swing has been taken apart and reconstructed, hitting on the fairway my shots go straight 9 times out of 10, etc...) and I just don't get why it all goes to crap when faced with the prospect of trying to hit the green with 1 shot.

I think my very high handicap - whatever that may be - is due majorly to my demons on par 3s. I probably lose on average 2 more shots per par 3 than on any other hole I reckon, which just strikes me as ludicrous?

When I'm teeing off on a par 3, looking at the green and thinking about hitting it my entire game falls apart (moreso than usual!). I'll pull or push the shot. That will stress me out inside (I don't really show much emotion outside when playing, just get on with it) which will have a negative impact on the rest of the hole.

I don't understand what it is about par 3 holes that give me such a mental block. Any advice? Anyone else used to have this issue?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's obviously a mental thing, so you could try a couple of things.

1. Go to a Par 3 course and play it with multiple balls
2. Think about hitting the centre of the green. Forget about the pin position, just aim for the centre.
3. Try taking a club more than you usually think you need. So if it's say 165 yards and you usually hit a 6 iron that distance, take a 5 and you'll swing slower and more smoothly
4. Try laying up. Get your wedge out and hit it 80 yards, then do the same again, or take a half swing with a 7 iron or something to pitch and run it up before repeating. Just forget about hitting the green in 1 for now and think about hitting it in 2
5. Remember with a handicap of more than 18 your aim really at the moment is bogey golf, so remind yourself where ever you are after 1 shot, you're actually there for 0.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try thinking of them as 2nd shots on Par 4s!

At your level, you are not expected to par them anyway. And if they are over 175 or so, that's quite a task for even 'low' handicappers.

So you could always treat them as short Par 4s and take some pressure off both the tee shot - only needs to get close an not in trouble - and the 2nd shot, which really only needs to be 'on the green'. A 3-putt isn't a disaster if on the green in 2.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice both. I'll give what you've both said a go next time I play (definitely on Friday, but hopefully after work at some point before that too now that I can play whenever I want 'for free'!).

Does anyone know of any par 3 golf courses around Worcestershire I can give a look?

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
Par 3s as with any holes you need to work out what is an acceptable miss. Having a plan will help you put the shot in the right place, looking at a pin and hitting at it is not a plan and it tricks many higher handicap players into attempting a risky shot. Always aiming at the middle of the green is a good start and when choosing a club dont pick one you have to hit perfectly to get it there, theres no shame in clubbing up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd treat them as Par 5s so you are almnost bound to get par or better (pressure standing on tee being that much less). If you were to treat all holes as par 5s and you got that 'par' on every hole you'd go round in 90 - about 18 handicap standard :)

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I love it when I get to a par 3 as I see them as abit of a rest, its just like taking your second shot on a par 4 but with a perfect lie. Maybe you should work on your iron play to help you hit more greens.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you use tee's for short Par 3's?

Its each to their own but I don't even if its 200yrd plus. If you do but your fairway approach shots are to your satisfaction then lose the tee.

Perhaps you're tense on the tee trying to hit your club the distance you know it takes to reach?? If you take my advice (for what it's worth!) it would be to take more Club with a soft 3/4 swing, retaining that control.

As Woody says, get ya sel onto a Par 3 course and when it's quiet thus enabling you to hit multi balls if you feel the need.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One of my nemesis holes is a 178 par three. It has OB left and tight right. It is a hybrid or 4 iron for me but I have a habit of hooking left. I'm trying to use my pre-shot routine to stand there calmly and trust my swing. In the last three rounds I've hit the green twice and missed right into the bunker. Getting better. I think you just have to look where you can miss. Most trouble by design is short so make sure you club correctly and don't go for an "ego" shot and take one less

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
just play every hole not just par 3's as 2 shots more, you will be surprised how much easier it is without the machismo kicking in nagging you to par every hole when stood on the tee :)

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a par 3 mini course at the Wast Hills driving range, Kings Norton, Birmingham, about a mile from the Worcestershire border. I've also struggled with par 3s, horrible hooks or shanks despite hitting irons ok on the fairway. Playing them much better this year. I think I was teeing it too high, so now I have the tee as low as possible and just imagine I'm on the fairway.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the help all, made me feel better!

I do use a tee on the tee box, but it is pushed as far into the ground as possible so the ball is just sitting on it giving a nice lie.

As I said earlier my fairway iron shots are generally pretty good (go straight, etc...). Thinking about it though, I think I have a much more relaxed swing/stance when on the fairway as to when teeing off on a par 3. I just need to learn to relax on them more I think.

I'll try treating all holes as par 5s like you suggest Hogan, that sounds interesting. I'd love to play bogey golf - that's my goal currently.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Might you be too focused on trying to hole your tee shot (going for the ace)

Its a helluva pressure shot if you are effectively making it a Par 1 in your mind (been there, done that, landed in the soup short left :D )

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I played 9 holes yesterday after work yesterday with a friend and tried to take on board what you'd all said. I had a really good round! (for me anyway).

More importantly, although I didn't hit a green on the 3 par 3s I played, I left my shot less than 2 yards from the edge of the green each time and, on one of them, played a really nice chip to within 6 inches of the hole (at one point I thought it was going to roll in for birdy) and sunk it for par! Hurrah!

Took your 3 stage plan into account also ScienceBoy and ended up 10 over par at the end of 9 holes in the end, which I was quite chuffed about!

So I'm quite happy, thanks all.